US turns focus to Pakistan's conventional defence

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
WASHINGTON: The United States appears to have realised the importance of strengthening Pakistan's conventional defence while also enhancing its capability to fight extremists.

In doing so, senior US officials also recognised Pakistan's concerns about India and conceded that Washington's growing ties with New Delhi were a cause of concern for Islamabad.

"We must continue to reassure Pakistan that as it combats the terrorist threat, it is not exposing itself to increased risk along its eastern border," said Under Secretary of Defence for Policy Michele Flournoy while explaining why the United States needed to strengthen Islamabad's conventional defence systems as well.

"Although extremist attacks have led to the repositioning of substantial Pakistani forces, Pakistan's strategic concerns about India remain pre-eminent."

Under Secretary Flournoy and other senior US officials who spoke to the House Armed Services Committee urged lawmakers to provide funding for billions of dollars of planned US military and civilian aid to Pakistan during the next five years.

Separately, another senior Pentagon official told journalists in Washington that the sale of F-16 aircraft to Pakistan later this year would be "a sign of this burgeoning relationship between us and increased defence cooperation between our two countries."

In a related development, senior US State and Defence officials said the United States planned to provide $1.5 billion to Pakistan by September 2011 for buying military equipment.

During the same period, the United States also plans to reimburse about $2.3 billion Pakistan spent while fighting terrorists along the Afghan border. Of these, $600 million will be quickly transferred to Pakistan while the rest will be reimbursed by September 2011, when the current US fiscal year ends.

Besides providing military equipment, the United States also has accepted Pakistan's position that it has genuine interests in Afghanistan and those interests need to be protected.

Meanwhile, the US media reports that the United States and Pakistan are establishing a joint military intelligence centre inside Pakistan.

The United States is also sending 50 aircraft technicians to Pakistan with four new F-16s it plans to hand over to Islamabad in June.

By September 2011, Pakistan will receive a total of 18 of these planes. A US military team will accompany these aircraft "to ensure that sophisticated, top-of-the-line avionics, weapons and data systems aboard the aircraft remain secure," The Washington Post reported.

The planes, which for the first time will allow Pakistan to conduct night-time air operations, are far more advanced than the 30-year-old US aircraft that are the current mainstay of the Pakistan Air Force.

Currently, there are about 200 US military instructors in Pakistan, including 140 from a Special Operations training and advisory contingent.

The CIA also has sent additional intelligence-gathering operatives and technicians in recent months and plans are under way to establish a joint military intelligence processing centre in Pakistan.

Under Secretary Flournoy said the plans to help Pakistan strengthen its defence "remain vital to our overall goal of disrupting, dismantling and defeating Al Qaeda and to enhancing stability in a critical region".

Key US lawmakers also back the new Pakistan policy, and have urged action to further increase educational opportunities for Pakistani military officers at US military schools, and faster movement to provide Pakistan with key military hardware, particularly helicopters.

Sorce

Source is Pakistani DAWN but it is perspective reporting which can't be ignored by India. US is just double dealing here in SA in the name of Peace process.If US is so concerned about security of Pak's Eastern Border then it should temporary deploy its weaponry on East border till PA complete the extremist operation on Western border.

BunBunCake

Load of bull again.
Pakistan needs these brand new F-16's to kill terrorists???!?

They can't fight them with their 200 some J-7??? and 100+ Mirages??

US isn't very smart. It's quite obvious.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Load of bull again.

US isn't very smart. It's quite obvious.
US Is smarter than you think :) They are Arming Pakistan against India, India against China. Its a circle and in this process, they are the winners, Pakistan will continue to Burn, the people alienated from their Government, and Much Much more, while the Pakistan Army will be strong and Self Sustaining. USA Just needs the Pak Army Intact, nothing more :)

Reactions: sob
Country flag
US Is smarter than you think :) They are Arming Pakistan against India, India against China. Its a circle and in this process, they are the winners, Pakistan will continue to Burn, the people alienated from their Government, and Much Much more, while the Pakistan Army will be strong and Self Sustaining. USA Just needs the Pak Army Intact, nothing more :)
what happens when this plan totally backfires?? I don't see any of this happening like US hopes it will, one example of how this can totally fail ;India and Pakistan join SCO as permanent members ,and Asia unites and squeezes USA out of southeast Asia, just a hypothetical scenario.

Last edited:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
^^ The main reason for plan backfiring will be that USA thinks that india can be bought into strategic military partnership as and when requires and can be discarded when it serves USA's purpose as it regularly does with pakistan..But then unlike pakistan india is been too cautious about usa game-plans hence it always rejected any troops deployment under NATO or USA Flag.Even for patrolling the gulf of Aden against pirates india rejected the offer to join coalition navies of NATO who provides secures gulf area.Instead it always insited on to be deployed under UN flag.Thats another reason that usa can call pakistani head of the state to serve ultimatum,"you are with us or against us", to join their ranks in Afghanistan by threatening to bomb it into oblivion at 1am in the morning .but then usa cant do the same with india.

In doing so, senior US officials also recognised Pakistan's concerns about India and conceded that Washington's growing ties with New Delhi were a cause of concern for Islamabad.
hope india freeze india-usa ties to economy level onlythat means no military or strategic partnership .it gonna be beneficial to the india in long-run.

sob

Mod
Country flag
It is very simple US needs a captive market for it's defence industry. They haven't learn lessons from the past and will continue to repeat the same mistake of arming Pakistan. They are sacrificing their long term interests for short term gains.

Reactions: nrj

Oracle

It is very simple US needs a captive market for it's defence industry. They haven't learn lessons from the past and will continue to repeat the same mistake of arming Pakistan. They are sacrificing their long term interests for short term gains.
And US will pay the price too. What goes around, comes back around.
US meddling against Russia in Afghanistan - 9/11 happened. And there are many more examples of US' short sighted foreign policy.

DaRk WaVe

Load of bull again.

ROFL, last time i heard americans knew the exact use of AIM-120s, AIM-9s, P-3Cs & Oliver Frigates because last time i heard Taliban had no Air Force & Navy ;)

Americans know what they are doing :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ISI

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
what happens when this plan totally backfires?? I don't see any of this happening like US hopes it will, one example of how this can totally fail ;India and Pakistan join SCO as permanent members ,and Asia unites and squeezes USA out of southeast Asia, just a hypothetical scenario.
In reality I wish for such blow to US even this is hypothetical or pure speculation! /////////

However, for Pakistan to join SCO & unite with India & rest SCO (considering permanent member India) Pakistan will need to be backstabbed or blown with big betrayal by US. On the contrary, in such situation if Pakistan to be benefited by SCO (without sighting that Pak will never join SCO :p) PRC & Pak will need to promote Pakistan on global scale as a very worthy emerging trade nation with steady/unhampered business interest.

hope india freeze india-usa ties to economy level onlythat means no military or strategic partnership .it gonna be beneficial to the india in long-run.
Indo-US relations are today stable even though US is acting rakeless must have reasons.

1. US have thought of such possibility you mentioned & worked smartly on the ultimate ramifications already.
  2. India can't just freeze ties since GOI knows that its business hungry private companies & increasing deposit of Forex from US is essential unless we are ready for significant slowing in foreign trades. And US Knows this! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  3. Plus US is fully aware that India is going to relay on it for Defense procurement in near future since the equipment starved Indian Armed Forces knows US toys are superior/ beneficial in many ways. And India Knows this!
    ////////////

The situation is helpless from India GOI POV..

If some harsh treatment from US is observed (which won't happen since US always keeps it to the exact of Indian threshold! >>>>>>), Indian babus will need to flex their balls in order to secure Indian National interests thus not loosing its Patriotic PR. Unless we are ready to shed National interests for Only Business oriented policy & in turn $$$.... _=..i2-=

Very true! This will happen no matter with what they equip Indian enemy states. ///////////

Americans know what they are doing :)
And what is that exactly?? ==fi=+

Last edited:

ahmedsid

Top Gun
And what is that exactly?? ==fi=+
That is arming Pakistan and Keep its Military in battle ready conditions, so that India wont grow to be a big player/power in the Subcontinent! :)

Country flag
However, for Pakistan to join SCO & unite with India & rest SCO (considering permanent member India) Pakistan will need to be backstabbed or blown with big betrayal by US. On the contrary, in such situation if Pakistan to be benefited by SCO (without sighting that Pak will never join SCO :p) PRC & Pak will need to promote Pakistan on global scale as a very worthy emerging trade nation with steady/unhampered business interest.

This maybe possible USA will screw Pakistan again regardless of what the outcome of the Afghanistan war. I think Pakistan knows this and are using their China relations as a hedge.But if USA leaves enraged about the outcome in Afghanistan PAK may seek to join a group like SCO even faster, China will not promote anyone except themselves.

The situation is helpless from India GOI POV..

If some harsh treatment from US is observed (which won't happen since US always keeps it to the exact of Indian threshold! Click here to enlarge), Indian babus will need to flex their balls in order to secure Indian National interests thus not loosing its Patriotic PR. Unless we are ready to shed National interests for Only Business oriented policy & in turn $$$....

Obama has more or else reversed much of the ties built during the Bush administration. But India has also done a flip flop some recent examples:

We voted against sanctions for Iran
We declined to attend the NPT month long party
We have not given USA any sites or plans for buying reactors and now in burecratic quicksand
We have extended MRCA deadline to the point where I think the whole deal maybe killed

so it is not like the Indian govt has sold themselves out like our neighbors.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
so that India wont grow to be a big player/power in the Subcontinent! :)
Well if so then US will wake up from its dream soon. Because its past dreams have failed miserably in case of India.
Like Roosevelt calling Indira Gandhi **** & an attempt to do that on her. or
previous sanctions or
its underestimation in variety of fields etc.....

India is definitely growing not only in subcontinent but in every geographic parts with polite attitude which no one can accuse or murder...

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Well if so then US will wake up from its dream soon. Because its past dreams have failed miserable in case of India.
previous sanctions or

India is definitely growing not only in subcontinent but in every geographic parts with polite attitude which no one can accuse or murder...
Very True, the USA is very shortsighted, and Its plans have always failed mserably. I feel sad, such a Great Nation, going this way coz of the lack of foresight. I mean, look at their recent wars and all.

India is definitely growing in a way that no once can accuse of having a bloody hand or the blood of innocents or conducting wars of greed or arming people now and then calling them terrorists later. We have always faced the brunt of Pakistani based terrorism, emnating from its agencies and armies. The USA is involved in this, we all know, but I feel India is playing the game pretty well. We are not the India of the 1990s, while Pakistan is far worse off than it was a couple of years back.

One more Idea I have is that, the USA is arming Pakistan to have a control over its army. I mean, in a future conflict, USA will pull the plug on its spares and services and Pakistan will be crippled to an extent, that only their Chinese built planes and all will fly.

Same scenario I feel with Russia. I mean, India made noises about the RD93 sale but couldnt stop it. Do any of you think India couldnt stop the sale of a couple of hundred engines? I certainly dont. In the event of a conflict with India, Russians will just pull the plug along with the Americans, and this will result in we all know what! :) Just my personal thoughts

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
This maybe possible USA will screw Pakistan again regardless of what the outcome of the Afghanistan war. I think Pakistan knows this and are using their China relations as a hedge.But if USA leaves enraged about the outcome in Afghanistan PAK may seek to join a group like SCO even faster, China will not promote anyone except themselves.
So when US will dump Pak then Pakistan will be China's sidekick unless Pak has stable government.
But will US risk their influence when screwing on with nations like India, Pak, China, Russia & bring world to the grand stage of WEST Vs EAST? (Well, they might if their B2s are fueled & they are desperate to sign their next century with US companies ready to sell aid packages all over the globe)

Obama has more or else reversed much of the ties built during the Bush administration. But India has also done a flip flop some recent examples:

We voted against sanctions for Iran
We declined to attend the NPT month long party
We have not given USA any sites or plans for buying reactors and now in burecratic quicksand
We have extended MRCA deadline to the point where I think the whole deal maybe killed
Seems i missed it or failed to take a totalitarian view...
very wise sum up!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
We've two contrast ideas here which are very interesting...

the USA is arming Pakistan to have a control over its army. I mean, in a future conflict, USA will pull the plug on its spares and services and Pakistan will be crippled to an extent, that only their Chinese built planes and all will fly.
In this case US has intention to give India relief from its headache with Pak at the cost of readiness to counter & bring down China in a very systematic way.
It'll be pure trade. With US ready to let India become big player but not PRC at US insecurity over highly growing communist China.

Well this is a very generous attitude which US has no record of dispensing... ROFL..

While on the other hand in the current case that US is screwing India consistently by arming Pak or other ways;
then US has opted to play big long game to contain & bring down India after which it'll turn its focus to PRC after obtaining significant geographical presence in SA & Asia.

Same scenario I feel with Russia. I mean, India made noises about the RD93 sale but couldnt stop it. Do any of you think India couldnt stop the sale of a couple of hundred engines? I certainly dont. In the event of a conflict with India, Russians will just pull the plug along with the Americans, and this will result in we all know what! :) Just my personal thoughts

Well, ofcourse Russia has that option open to it.
But, recently it has realized that India growth is becoming independent of foreign factors with West ready to embrace India happily & on the same lines Russia needs India at least for period.

Plus Russia has thought that if we screw India just for fun then US wont wait for any moments to contain India with help of Pak or whatever to stop another emerging global power. This will bring unnecessary US presence in Asia which Russia definitely doesn't want..

Gosh! so much of speculation! :p

Last edited:

agni

nrj

a minor nitpick,
it was not roosevelt who cursed Indira gandhi,

it was that bastar-d nixon,

Roosevelt actually supported India to get freedom which irritated the racist churchill.

Oracle

That is arming Pakistan and Keep its Military in battle ready conditions, so that India wont grow to be a big player/power in the Subcontinent! :)
Also, keeping talibanization of Pakistan alive, so that even Pakistan remains in a mess. Why the hell would a country like US need 8 years to finish of the Al-Qaida and Taliban, when they finished Japan with just 2 nukes. The more countries are at war, internal or external, more it means business for Uncle Sam.

Oracle

Well if so then US will wake up from its dream soon. Because its past dreams have failed miserably in case of India.
previous sanctions or

Agreed. While India knows US' double standards vis a vis terrorism, our political leaders shy away from publicly stating it. And that is actually good in the long run. Remain silent and rise up economically to the point, where we would not need to ask anyone, not even USA. In the meantime, kill all those infiltrators/terrorists who cross LoC, show no mercy to them.

lodaxstax

what happens when warning of hakimullah mehsud comes true and we see some big Diwali celebrations in US soon?

do the weapons transfer still continue to TSP?

does US do an iraq or afghanistan on pakistan?

if it does, what choices do we have? i mean for all we know it could spill over on to us as well.

Oracle

what happens when warning of hakimullah mehsud comes true and we see some big Diwali celebrations in US soon?
US will then distribute sweets to Pakistan and vow to be Pakistan's ally more than ever and build the trust deficit with Pakistan and its terrorist groups by offering the post of Secretary of State to Hakimullah.

do the weapons transfer still continue to TSP?
Yes, having just celebrated Diwali, US will gift Pakistan Predator drones, B-2 Spirit Bomber and the likes

does US do an iraq or afghanistan on pakistan?
No. US needs Pakistan based terrorist groups to create unrest in Xinjiang province of China.

if it does, what choices do we have? i mean for all we know it could spill over on to us as well.
Ask US to take their sorry state of affairs to someplace else or we further reduce corporate tax on MNCs operating in India, and sink US' economy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles