US seeks global help for anti-piracy task force

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
WASHINGTON: In the wake of an American-flagged cargo-ship being attacked by pirates off the coast of Somalia
, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton
on Friday said the United States has sought the help from more countries for the anti-piracy task force in the region.

"Piracy may be a centuries-old crime, but we are working to bring an appropriate 21st-century response," she told reporters at the State Department press meet.

Terming piracy as a serious matter, Clinton said these people are nothing more than criminals.

"We are looking for ways to increase the effectiveness of what we are doing, including the recruitment of additional partners, to be part of the surveillance work that is done," Clinton said in response to a question.

With the naval vessels of several countries in the region, Clinton said: "We have had some success in coordinating amongst the contributors to this naval task force. The Department of Defence is taking the lead in helping to put together an international task force."

"There are a number of nations now ranging from, of course, the United States to Europe to Asia, including Japan and China and Korea, which have naval vessels in the waters off the Horn of Africa," she said.

"It's important that we come up with an international resolution of this. And we will be consulting closely and widely to determine what else other countries are willing to do and what further steps the international community believes should be taken," Clinton said.

At the same time, she acknowledged that the instability in Somalia is a contributing factor to those who take to the seas in order to board ships, hijack them, intimidate and threaten their crews and then seek ransom.

Earlier in the day, the State Department Spokesman Robert Wood said the US is in touch with a number of nations with regard to this issue.

"It's a growing concern to not just the United States but others who deal with shipping in that area," he said, adding the US military and the militaries of other countries are trying to see what we can do to prevent these types of piracy acts from happening.

In response to a specific question, Wood said India can certainly play an important role in this regard. "I think India certainly could play a role. That's a decision for India," he said.
Times of India

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Oh yes... upto now he didn't seem to be caring about the problem because he wasn't affected... suddenly a couple of American ships get attacked and a captain gets taken hostage and he realises about the scourge of piracy !!!

Didn't something of the same sort happen with respect to terrorism... he didn't care when others were getting screwed (sometimes due to his own actions) and suddenly a few bombs went off and 11/09 happened and he realises that its an "important problem"...

Pintu

You are right monk, when there were attack of different merchant ships of other countries they need not feel urgency, and did not put up any effective step though they were very capable for doing that. However , it is good that they are awakened up from their sleep.

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
I think with respect to the region it was a positive move, the regional powers get to play a role in this and cooperate with each other. In the larger scheme of events a large piracy crisis will help USA set up the region to suite its goals.

Pintu

A piracy is piracy , I think may the area of influence be larger, but there should not be any difference in act of piracy. because all the pirates are inhuman, USA should have been involved to this from the very beginning.However time not ran out, I think a joint task force is the first priority, between the nations whose ships ferrying through this dangerous sea lane.

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
A piracy is piracy , I think may the area of influence be larger, but there should not be any difference in act of piracy.
because all the pirates are inhuman, USA should have been involved to this from the very beginning.
However time not ran out, I think a joint task force is the first priority, between the nations whose ships ferrying through this dangerous sea lane.
There is smaller US led Combined Task Force-151 it includes a LHD (wasp class) with plenty of space to house special forces, helicopters, harriers.

USN protects the interests of USA, and the impact on USA from piracy in the region is limited, both economically and strategically.

They have this vision of international cooperation reading about this vision the impression i got was that it centers around the absolute blue water dominance that USN has achieved, events like piracy in this region provide them with a opportunity to act as the coordinators between the naval forces of the nations effected by this minor trade disruption (hence helping to carry their vision forward).

Had they been involved in this thing from the start many nations would have not even made the effort they have till now.

Till now trade has not been disrupted to a point where investing huge sums of money in providing the required capability is essential for most nations, ships that are deployed to that region have other primary tasks to perform, for e. g. when Mumbai attacks happened the INS Tabar had to leave that region and its anti piracy role, it could have had a much important role to play near home in a conflict.

The Ocean region is huge and fishing is very active off Somalian coast.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The US with it's carrier force out there needs international assistance? What a joke!

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Yusuf,
I think a CBG is an overkill for those pirates. Just a few patrol boats with a GAU 8 canon or a CIWS is far more effective.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I know a carrier is an over kill for the pirates, but a carrier has it's complement of frigates and destroyers which can be pressed into service. Not for once did I mean to say send carriers after those thugs

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles