US says Pakistan increasing nuclear weapons

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Michael Mullen, has confirmed reports that Pakistan is increasing its nuclear weapons programme, but has provided no details.

The confirmation came during a Senate Armed Services committee hearing on Thursday when Democrat senator Jim Webb, an expert on defence issues, raised fears that Pakistan is adding to the nuclear weapons it traditionally has pointed toward India, and questioned whether US aid could be funding it.

Noting reports that Pakistan "may be actually adding on their weapon systems and warheads" Webb asked: "Do you have any evidence of that?"

"Yes," Mullen answered.

Webb said that is a cause for "enormous concern," because with the militant threat, he said, Pakistan's government is not very stable.

The US has urged Pakistan to focus on the extremist threat instead of India. But Mullen told senators that it's still unclear that Pakistani leaders can shift their focus for a long period even as they slowly acknowledge that militants pose more of a security risk.

"Historically, they haven't done that," Mullen said. "So right now, I'm encouraged by what's happened, but I certainly withhold any judgment about where it goes because of the historic lack of sustainment, and they know they need to do that."

Also at the hearing, Admiral Mullen said it is not only Pakistan's top leaders who need to recognise the militant threat.

He said Pakistan's powerful intelligence service, the ISI, must also change its approach, and one key to that is convincing its leaders there will be a long-term US commitment to helping them defeat the militants.

"The ISI in the long run has to change its strategic thrust and get away from working both sides," he said. "That's how they have been raised, certainly over the last couple of decades, and that's what they [are going to continue to] believe, until they think we're going to be there for a while."

Asked by Senator John McCain, Republican presidential opponent of Barack Obama, whether he still worried "about the ISI cooperating with Taliban?", Mullen simply said: "Yes, sir."

Several senators voiced doubts about sending millions of dollars to Pakistan without assurances it will be spent to fight extremists who threaten security and political stability both there and in Afghanistan.

Next year's Pentagon budget includes $700 million to train and otherwise help Pakistan fight insurgents.

Sailor

I have to see that after reading such reports, it must be very, very worrying for the Indian people. This is not lost on me.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Although there is a possibility of nuclear war between India and Pakistan, it will only be if radical elements/terrorists take over the nukes. And it will be at the peril of the Pakistani state itself as it risks annihilation.

India is working on missile defense which will go a long way in blunting any potential attack from Pakistan.

Country flag
no mention of the 100% CHINESE involvement in this. China single handedly destroyed the NPT.

Pintu

I agree with Yusuf on that there will be a possibility of N-War when a radical or terrorist out fit gain control on the N-buttons on the other side of the border, and therefore risking the annihilation of the Pakistani state itself, however I also think when the situation arises , there must be a mechanism be ready to either strike Pakistani N-facilities, by means of Missile Strike, or Preemptive Air attacks , the concern is much for us rather than the USA , and I also agree with LF Sir, China single handed destroyed NPT, as it is the professional non-proliferator according to me, and aiding Pakistan knowing that its satellite in South Asia itself unstable.

Regards

Su-47

One day China will sorely regret its support of Pakistan, mark my words. If (or rather when) pakistan becomes radicalised, do u think the taliban will appreciate a "godless infidel neighbour" who torture muslims? They will definitely turn on china. and if they have nukes, so much the worse for the chinese. One day you'll find a chinese nuke explode in a chinese city.

Now, I don;t want anyone thinking this is what i want. What i want is for the taliban to be annhilated. But this is not an impossibility. The taliban always haave turned on their benefactors. If China is inadvertently aiding Taliban thru Pak, then sooner or later they will suffer the consequences.

A warning to the chinese govt: Either dump Pakistan now, or convinve them somehow to actually kill off the taliban. Otherwise you guys will suffer.

tharikiran

Country flag
I was thinking about the reasons behind Pakistan increasing its nuclear arsenal.Is it because of the change in the Indian Army' doctrine. We are following cold start in which instead of deploying the 3 strike corps , 8 IBG (Integrated Battle Group) will be deployed. This will result in the Indian Army gaining enemy territory quickly at multiple locations across the International border. This may result in Pak think tank to panic. It will also make it difficult for Pak army to concentrate as to where to focus its troops against enemy advancement.
It also makes it difficult for them to use their nukes against smaller enemy units. Strike corps would have been a larger target. All this definitely makes Pakistan increase its dependence on nuclear weapons even more.Because, it just wont be able to stop the Indian advancement in a conventional war as this doctrine suggests.

Therefore, I am assuming its trying to develop more smaller may be tactical nuclear weapons to counter this new Indian doctrine. Inputs please.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I was thinking about the reasons behind Pakistan increasing its nuclear arsenal.Is it because of the change in the Indian Army' doctrine. We are following cold start in which instead of deploying the 3 strike corps , 8 IBG (Integrated Battle Group) will be deployed. This will result in the Indian Army gaining enemy territory quickly at multiple locations across the International border. This may result in Pak think tank to panic. It will also make it difficult for Pak army to concentrate as to where to focus its troops against enemy advancement.
It also makes it difficult for them to use their nukes against smaller enemy units. Strike corps would have been a larger target. All this definitely makes Pakistan increase its dependence on nuclear weapons even more.Because, it just wont be able to stop the Indian advancement in a conventional war as this doctrine suggests.

Therefore, I am assuming its trying to develop more smaller may be tactical nuclear weapons to counter this new Indian doctrine. Inputs please.

You mean Pakistani using tactical nukes??

1.do they have tactical nukes.
2.how much time it will take to assemble.
3.can they afford war ready nukes.
3.Wouldnt that be too close to Pakistani territories(distance_displacement)

tharikiran

Country flag
You mean Pakistani using tactical nukes??

1.do they have tactical nukes.
2.how much time it will take to assemble.
3.can they afford war ready nukes.
3.Wouldnt that be too close to Pakistani territories(distance_displacement)
1. That's what I am thinking they are developing now. With reports mentioning Pakistan clearly crossing deterrent levels.
2.It is also common knowledge that Pakistan's threshold to use nukes is very less.Once it comes to know that Indian IBG's have crossed internaltional border. They should be getting ready.
3. Didn't understand your 3rd point.They should be able to ready their nukes in 72 hours. Pak is not a big country. Your inputs please.
4. Even if it's in Pak territory they will be using it on Indian soldiers. That's why Tactical nuclear weapon are needed where the yield may not be massive but sufficient to defeat enemy morale.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
1. That's what I am thinking they are developing now. With reports mentioning Pakistan clearly crossing deterrent levels.

fair enough, we should closely monitor.

2.It is also common knowledge that Pakistan's threshold to use nukes is very less.Once it comes to know that Indian IBG's have crossed internaltional border. They should be getting ready.

Given the fact Indian army on typical cold start (sudden, rapid, through and through) the Use of tactical nukes still takes time i mean if i can assume contemporary state of their nukes scattered and not assembled. Too late for them to plan.Interestingly Cold start serve/counter measures more on (would be) tactical nuclear war then strategic nuclear deterrence of pakistan.

3. Didn't understand your 3rd point.They should be able to ready their nukes in 72 hours. Pak is not a big country. Your inputs please.

72 hrs!! cold start doctrine explains its self if implicated with present state of Pakistan's nuclear readiness.

now one can argue why Pakistan is fighting in SWAT??(irrelevant question)

yea coming to point..
now one can argue why Pakistan can not afford war ready nukes the answer is 1. US(nuclear safety) 2. Al qaeda 3. Insurgency in SWAT.

4. Even if it's in Pak territory they will be using it on Indian soldiers. That's why Tactical nuclear weapon are needed where the yield may not be massive but sufficient to defeat enemy morale.

Then, i would like to seek more opinion on that, as far as i am concern this is practically not feasible for Pakistan. Already entrenched/Bulldozing Indian army will leave no other salvation but to surrender; for pakistan.
Regards..........

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles