US offers to help India modernise armed forces

Country flag
Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

US offers to help India modernise armed forces

* Envoy says strong Indo-US ties crucial to meeting regional security challenges

NEW DELHI: The US has offered to help India in its efforts to modernise its armed forces. US Ambassador Timothy J Roemer said on Monday that strengthening defence ties between the two countries was part of a broader strategic partnership, derived from shared national security interests.

He said a strong, strategic relationship between the US and India was important to addressing regional security challenges such as maintaining peace, security, and stability and responding to regional humanitarian crises and natural disasters. The envoy was talking to reporters as around 1,000 military personnel from the Indian and US armies participated in joint exercises named ‘Yudh Abhyas’ in Babina base near Agra.

India has recently ordered six American C-130J aircraft for its special forces operations which would be based at the Hindon Air Base near the capital. The US envoy said a proposal to purchase C-17 aircraft was also being considered by the Indian Defence Ministry. “Should you (India) decide to acquire these aircraft – and I hope you will – we will do everything we can to assist you in expanding your strategic lift capability,” Roemer said. The C-130J Super Hercules is an American four-engine turboprop military transport aircraft manufactured by Lockheed Martin capable of carrying 20 tonnes or 92 fully-armed airborne troops. The C-17 Globemaster is a large military transport aircraft manufactured by Boeing, which is capable of carrying 75 tonnes or 135 troops.

This year’s military exercises feature 17 Stryker vehicles – the largest deployment outside Iraq and Afghanistan for the US Pacific Rim forces. iftikhar gilani

:india::goodstuff:

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
We should buy some weapons from US some from Israel and majority from Russia. We are doing well and so is USA in marketting.

Country flag
The main obstacles from buying from USA are the TOT issues if USA agrees to TOT they are giving access to weapons not only USA has but also USA's NATO allies and the end user agreements, USA may succeed in selling some systems but I don't see them getting the top spot in the foreseeable future.

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
I agree to you, that is why I said we need to mix it well. We need to get to know technologies and get latest technology.

AkhandBharat

I think India is taking the right decision to buy heavy lift transport aircrafts from US, AWACS from US/Israel and the anti-sub crafts from US because these are the best today in heavy lift and strategic operations.

Also, India is partnering with Russia in developing the next generation fighter craft, next generation battle tanks, nuclear subs, etc on an equal footing. Not only does that give us ToT, but it keeps the backbone of defence fighting machine safe from US sanctions if they choose to lock India out in the future.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles