US, NATO planning supply route from China through Karakoram Highway, PoK

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Take a swim, wearing the 'string of pearls'

Scholars worldwide on Central Asia and Afghanistan would know that Pan Guang, Director of the Shanghai Center for International Studies and concurrently Director of SCO Studies Centre in Shanghai is an influential voice in the policy-making processes in Beijing. English-speaking Pan is a most charming personality (and a generous host), whose area of expertise used to be Israel at one time and who is ever willing to introduce his guest to the little, nameless, unknown, utterly fascinating details about Shanghai's rich Jewish heritage.

Be that as it may, Pan's latest article in China-US Focus titled "China and US in Central Asia: Role of the SCO and the Possibility of Cooperation in Central Asia" caught my attention for another reason. It shares certain stunning details about the Sino-US cogitations regarding Afghanistan. What struck me is the pedestrian level of our own discourses in India regarding China's regional role in South Asia and how archaic the views held by our mainstream pundits are.

Pan outlines a blueprint of SCO-US cooperation that simply takes the breath away. Let me quote Pan: "A convenient starting point would be the set-up of a liaison structure for coordinating the anti-terror issues between the US/NATO and the SCO. The liaison mechanism could be progressively upgraded to SCO plus US (SCO plus 1) dialogue or SCO plus US, EU (NATO), Japan (SCO plus 3), and could even be upgraded to SCO Regional Forum (SRF) like the Asian Regional Forum (ARF)."

Sounds incredible? If it is not sufficiently exciting enough, listen to Pan's bombshell that would make our pundits pull their hairs in hopeless frenzy. Pan reveals that the US and NATO are at present engaging China regarding a new transportation route for the supplies for the western troops in Afghanistan through Chinese territory. And, the hot favourite routes for the US and NATO planners? Well, the choice is probably narrowing down to one via China to Karakorum Highway and POK to Afghanistan, and a second one via the Chinese-built (and Chinese-managed?) port of Gwadar in Pakistan.

Now, not only is China going to wade deeper into POK (which, of course, belongs to India), but it will be doing that in concert with Washington and Brussels — in fact, for helping the US and NATO! The big question is what are we going to do about it. Of course, we can't do anything about it. So much for our rhetoric!

As well, the broader strategic implication is obvious — US and the West's recognition of China as a stakeholder in the stability and security of South Asia. In fact, Pan stresses this aspect as having consistently figured in the Sino-American high-level exchanges in the recent period.

Alas, our pundits seem to be left holding China's famous 'string of pearls' in splendid isolation. Uncle Sam is nowhere to be seen. Nor are the CIA analysts who sold the thesis to the Indian pundits. Maybe, it is time our pundits wear the string of pearls around their neck and go for a nice long swim in the Indian Ocean somewhere near Hambantota or Coco Islands — or better still, in South China Sea.

Take a swim, wearing the ’string of pearls’ - Indian Punchline

Iamanidiot

@Jayram The Karakoram highway has been blocked since last year due to a landslide at some lake which wiped out about 2 km of the highway.Iam atleast able to notice a diochtomy between the Chinese intent and words

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
What an utter nonsense and work of some immature imagination.

However;
1. Pakistan has already compromised POK to China and rest of its state to USA, so it doesn't matter if both are going to compromise any part under her control together.
2. If Pakistan is burning NATO supplies crossing her western border so she will do the same to the one passing KKH.
3. They are not going to stay in Afghanistan forever may be leaving Afghanistan very soon.
4. Pakistan joining SCO or SCO and NATO joining hand is never going to be a zero sum game for India. NATO projecting its influence via Chinese territory is China's headache not India's. Author failed to understand the passing NATO supplies via POK would not have the same security concerns India would have with Chinese presence.
5. If India has will to claim its teritory back them she would do irrespective of presence of anyone. USA can try an India who has no good relationship with Washington DC and bet if we are not going to punish Pakistan or not hit Chinese troops present in POK. Its all about India restrainting herself because of earning good relationship with western world. NATO can not afford to irretate India period.

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
USA and China are allies like Russia and USA were allies in the cold war.
I agree but i don't think they be happy to supply NATO via their own territory.
I wonder what GoI is telling USA behind closed doors about their claim on POK given peace process with Pakistan was less possessive for the same claim, if am not wrong.

Country flag
I agree but i don't think they be happy to supply NATO via their own territory.
I wonder what GoI is telling USA behind closed doors about their claim on POK given peace process with Pakistan was less possessive for the same claim, if am not wrong.
India had offered USA a supply route from the beginning maybe India should make that offer again as well the offer to place troops in Afghanistan for a permanent Indian base there or something else that would be tangible.

KS

Bye bye DFI
India had offered USA a supply route from the beginning maybe India should make that offer again as well the offer to place troops in Afghanistan for a permanent Indian base there or something else that would be tangible.
I fail to understand how India could make the offer to US when we dont have a common border with Afg. ?!?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles