US likely to upgrade Taiwan fighter jets: report

Country flag
AFP: US likely to upgrade Taiwan fighter jets: report

TAIPEI — The United States is likely to help Taiwan upgrade its fleet of F-16 A/B fighter jets to counter a growing military threat from China, Taipei-based media said Wednesday.

The US administration has been evaluating Taiwan's defence needs for the next five to 10 years, considering whether to supply the island with more advanced F-16 C/Ds or help it upgrade the F-16 A/Bs, said the state Central News Agency.

It quoted Rupert Hammond-Chambers, president of the Washington-based US-Taiwan Business Council, as saying that an upgrade deal could be announced next year while a sale of F-16 C/Ds was likely to take place in President Barack Obama's first term.

"It's only a matter of time," he was quoted by the United Evening News as saying, referring to the sale of the F-16 C/Ds.

A sale of F-16 C/Ds to Taiwan would be certain to trigger the ire of Beijing, which reacted furiously when the Obama administration in January announced a a 6.4-billion-dollar arms package for the self-governing island.

Taiwan's Liberty Times newspaper also cited unnamed sources as saying that Washington had agreed on a fighter jet upgrade starting next year, and would set up a special task force on the matter.

Defence officials were not immediately available for comment on the reports.

Taiwan has repeatedly pressed the United States to sell it F-16 C/Ds, as China embarks on a rapid drive to build up its offensive military capability.

The backbone of Taiwan's air force consists of some 60 ageing F-5s, 126 Indigenous Defense Fighters (IDFs), 146 US-made F-16A/Bs and 56 French-made Mirages.

Ties with the mainland have improved markedly since Beijing-friendly Ma Ying-jeou became Taiwan's president in 2008, but China still refuses to renounce the possibility of using force should the island declare independence.

The US weapons package for Taiwan announced in January includes Patriot missiles, Black Hawk helicopters, and equipment for Taiwan's F-16 fleet, but no submarines or new fighter aircraft.

A furious Beijing suspended military exchanges with Washington in response. The frost is only now thawing, with Defense Secretary Robert Gates and his Chinese counterpart set to meet next week in Vietnam.

SHASH2K2

A welcome step I Would say. USA will leave no stone unturned to Make Asia a dangerous place for Chinese aggression.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The US is getting proactive because the Chinese hegemonic activities are getting a trifle out of hand.

One wonders how China would react to all these activities of the US.

The US is also shoring up in Japan as one of the thread on DFI indicates and Vietnam is showing a greater warming up with the US.

The Singapore Minister Mentor has openly said that the US presence if essential for Asian stability.

All this does not auger well for China.

SHASH2K2

Whatever is bad for China should definitely be good for India. Good going USA.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Whatever is bad for China should definitely be good for India. Good going USA.
One wonders what will be Rahul Gandhi's take on this since it goes against the Principles of Panchsheel that his great grandfather Nehru enunciated at the Bandung Conference with great conviction and heralded the Hindi Chini Bhai Bhai era.

Rahul Gandhi has in the recent past made some very important comments as per the media.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The chinese are idiots in making India its enemy that too needlessly.

We have no interest in there region but due to needless poking into our affairs and courting pakistan they have made another enemy. They are pushing all countries in the region into the usa camp.

Agantrope

US doesnt have any strong enemy in its backyard, whereas China has quite few. So it is difficult for the china to maintain the military balance between india, taiwan, japan and vietnam.

Even in the Civilization game, a tip for the game is 'Dont engage land war in Asia :emot180:'

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I don't understand why the Taiwanese have to announce their purchases if at all they are interested in getting US equipment so determinedly. I mean though I won't consider bonhomies with Taiwanese since their official territorial claims includes 4 of our states/parts of states, but they could simply ask French to give some Mirages or the new Rafales. Taiwan has one of the most powerful and stable economies in Asia and certainly if Singapore can afford such a beefy air force for its size, Taiwan can certainly afford European weapons. The advantage they might have in dealing with the French is that French are neutral and jet sales is just business for them rather than making a political statement. They might sell today to Taiwan and tomorrow to PRC and justify it with their claims of neutrality and business mindedness.

If the F-16 is posing issues for the Taiwanese then I think they need to search for a serious different alternative. The Gripen is also perfect for their selection. It has speed, has low maintenance and has the fastest turn around time among all fighters on the planet. What's more, it can land on unserviced and civilian roads rather than common air strip, re-arm in under 5 minutes with a 5 man arming crew and take off for its mission. I think the Taiwanese should consider getting Gripens rather than direct F-16s. Sweden is neutral country and considering the agreement between GE and Volvo, there'd be no reason for US to meddle in Swedish affairs.

Country flag
If Taiwan wants the luxury of USA's military umbrella they have to buy exclusively American they cannot have it any other way.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ You telling me that US will militarily protect Taiwan in case PRC attacks? That's impossible man. US won't do anything to strike PRC unless and until US territories are under threat from PRC's missiles. Even Taiwan knows that the chances of keeping that umbrella up is reducing more and more daily due to PRC's growing military and political clout. Hence it is militarizing for itself. I don't think the umbrella matters anymore in practical sense as Taiwan better do something since US is hesitating to supply F-16s and has refused multiple times in the past, leaving Taiwan almost naked. Gripen seems a quick fix.

Country flag
If China tries to take Taiwan US will 100% go to war with China, not only US but other countries like Japan, Australia and bases in Guam,Samoa and Phillipines, will also be involved, I am sure China knows this and this is the only reason they have not tried to take Taiwan. Let China buildup as much as they want the US Pacific Fleet will neutralize Chinese aggrsssion in a hurry. I would not be suprised if nukes were transferred from USA to Taiwan to destroy the Chinese Eastern seaboard if or when this happens.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
If China tries to take Taiwan US will 100% go to war with China, not only US but other countries like Japan, Australia and bases in Guam,Samoa and Phillipines, will also be involved, I am sure China knows this and this is the only reason they have not tried to take Taiwan. Let China buildup as much as they want the US Pacific Fleet will neutralize Chinese aggrsssion in a hurry. I would not be suprised if nukes were transferred from USA to Taiwan to destroy the Chinese Eastern seaboard if or when this happens.
Well, i think you forgot to add India, Russia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, etc. Hmm, wait for a minute, i think you should include the rest of the world to that list.

To be honest, i feel a little flattered when people talking about so many countries ganging up to counter China as if we are already a superpower.

If China tries to take Taiwan back, no one will take any essential action to support Taiwan except for condemning China verbally. Because when China decides to use force to unify Taiwan, it only means one thing, China is strong enough to take on any country who is getting in the way of Chinese unification, including USA. Before that, China will just stay low and try not to provoke US as long as Taiwan does not declare official independence.

As of now, both China and US want to maintain the status quo. On one hand China is unwilling to antagonize US by attacking Taiwan unnecessarily, on the other hand, once Taiwan becomes an independent country, US can never use Taiwan to blackmail China.

If China keeps growing at the pace it is today, some sort of balance will be reached between China and US, at that point US will give up Taiwan naturallly without having a fight with China. If that balance can not be reached, then someday in the future we will see tha collapse of PRC, and Taiwan will be an independent country.

Many members tend to make a lot fuss over the arm sale to Taiwan by US, as if it is a humiliation for China failing to stop that. The fact is China had acquiesced US's selling weapons to Taiwan when China and US decided to establish diplomatic relation in 1970s, and since then US has never stopped doing that. Because China understands it is still too weak to bargain with the powerful US.

Taiwan issue boils down to the confrontation between China and US. People believe US or other countries will rescue Taiwan when China tries take Taiwan back because you already assume the strength gap between China and US will never be narrowed.

Today's China is still a weak, poor country, given the strong and powerful enemy we are dealing with, even i, as a Chinese, doubt China will be able to unify Taiwan if China does not grow faster.

But another possibility also exists, China is likely to catch up with US in many fields. China may not be able to surpass US in a near future, but China will be close enough with US to force it to concede Taiwan without having a war between China and US.

badguy2000

Respected Member
well, Once China were to take over Taiwan with force, India could just privide nothing but "spiritual aid",just as India does today and did once with Tibet.

vikramrana_1812

Country flag
Well, i think you forgot to add India, Russia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, etc. Hmm, wait for a minute, i think you should include the rest of the world to that list.

To be honest, i feel a little flattered when people talking about so many countries ganging up to counter China as if we are already a superpower.

If China tries to take Taiwan back, no one will take any essential action to support Taiwan except for condemning China verbally. Because when China decides to use force to unify Taiwan, it only means one thing, China is strong enough to take on any country who is getting in the way of Chinese unification, including USA. Before that, China will just stay low and try not to provoke US as long as Taiwan does not declare official independence.

As of now, both China and US want to maintain the status quo. On one hand China is unwilling to antagonize US by attacking Taiwan unnecessarily, on the other hand, once Taiwan becomes an independent country, US can never use Taiwan to blackmail China.

If China keeps growing at the pace it is today, some sort of balance will be reached between China and US, at that point US will give up Taiwan naturallly without having a fight with China. If that balance can not be reached, then someday in the future we will see tha collapse of PRC, and Taiwan will be an independent country.

Many members tend to make a lot fuss over the arm sale to Taiwan by US, as if it is a humiliation for China failing to stop that. The fact is China had acquiesced US's selling weapons to Taiwan when China and US decided to establish diplomatic relation in 1970s, and since then US has never stopped doing that. Because China understands it is still too weak to bargain with the powerful US.

Taiwan issue boils down to the confrontation between China and US. People believe US or other countries will rescue Taiwan when China tries take Taiwan back because you already assume the strength gap between China and US will never be narrowed.

Today's China is still a weak, poor country, given the strong and powerful enemy we are dealing with, even i, as a Chinese, doubt China will be able to unify Taiwan if China does not grow faster.

But another possibility also exists, China is likely to catch up with US in many fields. China may not be able to surpass US in a near future, but China will be close enough with US to force it to concede Taiwan without having a war between China and US.
Althoug as an Indian I should not be impressed by your thoughts above but there is a reflection of truth in your comments and I admire that...
China is weaker than US in many areas..but one thing I like about China is that it is the only country that is standing its ground against US ...even Russia nowadays dont do that frequently.....
US will try to build its defence network around CHINA by modernization of strong INDIAN Army, NAVY AND AF......and the same is done in case of Taiwan......but nothing more can be done after that because eventually what US does not want is One on One confrontation with China...

Only threat China has now is the emerging power called INDIA in this region.....and Two Powers cannot rule the same region......the only confrontation China will have is with India...(in near future)..not US.....

I wish this does not happen....but its looks inevitable because Nor India or China are now backing down.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
US is going bankrupt. 10 years from now certain indian members on this forum may not even find it cool anymore to declare US as their country of origin.

SHASH2K2

One wonders what will be Rahul Gandhi's take on this since it goes against the Principles of Panchsheel that his great grandfather Nehru enunciated at the Bandung Conference with great conviction and heralded the Hindi Chini Bhai Bhai era.

Rahul Gandhi has in the recent past made some very important comments as per the media.
Sir Rahuls grandfather started Hindi Chini Bhai bhai and he himself realized it few years later that Chinese are planning to become BHAI (gunda ) not the Bhai . I am sure there wont be any pro china statement will be coming out from any Gandhi family member for generations . Once bitten twice shy.

SHASH2K2

US is going bankrupt. 10 years from now certain indian members on this forum may not even find it cool anymore to declare US as their country of origin.
Stop making unrealistic and illogical comments. Do you have any logic based on which USA is going to bankrupt?

nimo_cn

Country flag
Althoug as an Indian I should not be impressed by your thoughts above but there is a reflection of truth in your comments and I admire that...
China is weaker than US in many areas..but one thing I like about China is that it is the only country that is standing its ground against US ...even Russia nowadays dont do that frequently.....
US will try to build its defence network around CHINA by modernization of strong INDIAN Army, NAVY AND AF......and the same is done in case of Taiwan......but nothing more can be done after that because eventually what US does not want is One on One confrontation with China...

Only threat China has now is the emerging power called INDIA in this region.....and Two Powers cannot rule the same region......the only confrontation China will have is with India...(in near future)..not US.....

I wish this does not happen....but its looks inevitable because Nor India or China are now backing down.
One thing you should keep in mind is Taiwan does not belong to US, it belongs to China. And in principle, US acknowledges that fact.
Therefore China does not have to be stronger than US to force it to back off on Taiwan issue, after all China is taking back something of China's own.

I didn't mean to underestimate India's influence by not mentioning India when i was talking about Taiwan issue. To be frank, i still think India's clout over Taiwan issue is still very limited and will not be increased significantly in a near future given India's own internal and external problems and US's reluctance to invite other guests to this party.

But i do agree with you that India poses an increasing threat to China's security considering the border disputes between our two and India's territorial ambition over Tibet. And i think China should be concerned about India's military buildup and modernizaion by US, it is a clear signal send by US and India, they are conspiring against China.

SO it is safe to say China is circled by enemies.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
One thing you should keep in mind is Taiwan does not belong to US, it belongs to China. And in principle, US acknowledges that fact.
Therefore China does not have to be stronger than US to force it to back off on Taiwan issue, after all China is taking back something of China's own.

I didn't mean to underestimate India's influence by not mentioning India when i was talking about Taiwan issue. To be frank, i still think India's clout over Taiwan issue is still very limited and will not be increased significantly in a near future given India's own internal and external problems and US's reluctance to invite other guests to this party.

But i do agree with you that India poses an increasing threat to China's security considering the border disputes between our two and India's territorial ambition over Tibet. And i think China should be concerned about India's military buildup and modernizaion by US, it is a clear signal send by US and India, they are conspiring against China.

SO it is safe to say China is circled by enemies.
We don't care about Tibet unless you count our Buddhist community demanding its autonomy. Even the Dalai Lama declared that they don't want a separate country but religious safety from Communist cadres destroying their culture and attacking their monks. Only CCP papers have been yelling that Tibetans want independence which was proven false with their leader's global declaration. We don't want any part of Tibet since managing the added territory will be additional headache. We just want to retain our states and get back Aksai Chin which is currently under PLA occupation the other area being Northern Kashmir from Pakistan. Both China and Pakistan can keep rest of their territory happily and we won't ask for something that is yours.

Recently, PLA's getting over-confident and entering our side of the border with brazen aggression and belligerence. The only weak point we have right now is a weak and spineless central government that most of my countrymen think is a great and equal leadership which it is not. Barring that, India might not be interested on conflict but PLA's uncontrollable actions are making it think so.

If you really want a good relation with us, then keep your regional generals in control to stop sending PLA troops across the LAC.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles