US lawmakers tell Obama, dump Pakistan and go with India

SHASH2K2

US lawmakers tell Obama, dump Pakistan and go with India

Lawmakers expressed doubts if any good would come out of the current US policy of coddling Islamabad in the face of Pak duplicity in combating extremism.

WASHINGTON: Expressing apprehension that the United States is being "taken for suckers" and "looked at as patsies" by Pakistan, two American lawmakers on Tuesday called for strengthening ties with India even as a White House report gave a harshly critical assessment of Islamabad's effort to defeat extremism.

While administration officials defended Washington's support for Pakistan using the same logic as London is doing on UK Prime Minister David Cameron's ongoing visit to Islamabad ("a difficult partnership with Pakistan is far better than having a hostile Pakistan," one U.S official testified), lawmakers wanted a major reappraisal of U.S outlook for the region. They expressed doubts if any good would come out of the current U.S policy of coddling Islamabad in the face of Pakistani duplicity in combating extremism. Instead, they pushed for even closer ties with India.

"After 10 years of hearing the same sales pitch I tend to doubt it. I doubt that our money is buying anything that's deep or durable," New York Congressman Gary Ackerman said at a hearing. "I doubt the leaders in the Afghan government and the Pakistani government are going to do anything except pursue their own narrow, venal self interests. I doubt the ISI will ever stop working with us during the day and going to see their not-so-secret friends in the Lashkar-e-Taiba or Jaish-e Mohammed and other terrorist groups at night."

His California colleague Dana Rohrabacher went even further back to frame the situation in a historical context. "I've been hearing that for 50 years. And I will tell you, a realistic relationship, rather than basing the relationship on wishful thinking, is what will bring about peace in that part of the world. What we've had is wishful thinking and what I call irrational optimism," he said at a hearing called to assess U.S foreign policy priorities in South Asia.

The critical comments came just hours after a White House report to Congress concluded that after years of work with the Pakistani military "there remains no clear path toward defeating the insurgency" that thrives in the country, remarks that analysts said reflected growing frustration in the administration over Pakistan's commitment to fight extremism.

Still, administration officials defended Washington's outreach to Pakistan, insisting that the country is vital to US national security interests and suggesting the U.S had no other options.

But lawmakers were not convinced. Both Rohrabacher and Ackerman, who described U.S ties with New Delhi as the "one shining light" and "brightest light" respectively of the administration's foreign policy pressed for greater emphasis on India.

"I would hope that we have the intelligence to work and to make sure that India is our best friend in that part of the world," Rochrabacher said, offering his contrast between the two countries. "The fact is that Pakistan is committed to Islam...India is dedicated to prosperity for their people."

Amid what lawmakers saw as Washington's compulsive obsession with Pakistan, Ackerman in fact criticized the administration for not using U.S diplomatic leadership and agenda-setting capability to focus global attention to the threat to India from Pakistan-based terrorists, such as Lashkar-e-Taiba.

"If there is, God forbid, another Mumbai-like strike, we will not be able to say that we did our utmost to prevent it because in truth, we haven't," he warned. "The ambitions of these terrorists have only grown and a full-fledged global campaign to crush these thugs still awaits at our peril."

While critical of Pakistan, the White House report offered no new prescription of how to handle Islamabad, aside from reflecting on the well-known fact that India looms large in the Pakistani military's thinking.

"As India continues to dominate their strategic threat perception, large elements of Pakistan's military remain committed to maintaining a ratio of Pakistani to Indian forces along the eastern border," the Presidential report to the Congress on Afghanistan and Pakistan said, adding, "This deprives the Pakistani COIN (counter-insurgency) fight of sufficient forces to achieve its 'clear' objectives and support the 'hold' efforts."

Some analysts have suggested India should take steps to reassure Pakistan about its security, but the broad reading in Washington is that nothing can placate a security establishment that uses a trumped-up or exaggerated Indian threat to extend its stranglehold on the Pakistani people and the country's resources. President Obama downwards, U.S officials have said the Pakistani military's obsession is misplaced. Frustrated lawmakers on Tuesday suggested in effect that the administration simply strengthen ties with India to counter Pakistan's policy.

AOE

A good article. That's two US lawmakers you can count on to have their head screwed on right.

amitkriit

Convert India into next Pakistan? No sir, we don't want such friendship. There can be no friendship between a superpower and an aspiring "Regional Power".

Blackwater

Convert India into next Pakistan? No sir, we don't want such friendship. There can be no friendship between a superpower and an aspiring "Regional Power".
India is not fool. You can fool pakistan as they are for sale.. not India.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
OK, good that some lawmakers feel that way.

But frankly, I would prefer if India maintains business relations with the US and does not get too close to them. We should never ever form any kind of military alliance or agreement with the US. Let there be more trade and business, and let it be limited to that.

sob

Mod
Country flag
This is a very realistic assessment made by the two Congressmen. Also it will be extreme folly for the US to abandon Pakistan. They have created the devil and they have to live with it. We should thank our lucky stars that the US has not abandoned Pakistan like the Russians abandoned Najibullah in Kabul.

India is a a mature country and we can deal with Pakistan and China on our own terms, but yes if there is an equal partnership on offer from the US then it is in our interest to accept it.

chex3009

Country flag
This is a very realistic assessment made by the two Congressmen. Also it will be extreme folly for the US to abandon Pakistan. They have created the devil and they have to live with it. We should thank our lucky stars that the US has not abandoned Pakistan like the Russians abandoned Najibullah in Kabul.

India is a a mature country and we can deal with Pakistan and China on our own terms, but yes if there is an equal partnership on offer from the US then it is in our interest to accept it.
US wouldn't like to see any other countries in terms of equality with its own self.

Patriot

Country flag
It is all based on theory of interest. The US diplomatic psychops in disguise. Business is fine with U.S. but no friendships.

As China is appearing a threat to U.S. day by day, they are inclining more towards India. China has already made their presence near the highest battleground Siachin via Pakistan, which will give number of strategic advantages to China. U.S. could not develop enough coziness with India to reach there so far. Though U.S. was trying to have it's presence near Leh & Siachin since one last decade to tighten noose on China.As US has virtually lost ground in Pakistan & have no ground in India either.

India should not get amused with U.S. friendship offers etc etc.

SHASH2K2

I donot see any problem in forming alliance with US of A but yes it should be on equal level. ie USA has to understand our needs and requirement as well. If alliance is mutually benificial for both countries there is no harm in it . If USA really abandon Pakistan I am sure relationship will them will be much smoother but unfortunately unless they leave Afghanistan I dont see even a slightest chance of this happening.

ganesh177

Country flag
I think we should be positive towards US, there is nothing for us to loose, while more to gain in many fields.
Play your cards wisely, always keep a check on the interest of nation and you are fine.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
If I read beyond the lines correctly, US lawmakers meant "we're done with Pakistan, let's move on to India" (to exploit and weaken). Add to that, we have politicians who can sell their mothers for a few big coins.

amitkriit

We must thank our media for keeping us informed. Without WIKILEAKS we might not have known how our policymakers were ready to sell our country to USA. Our country was colonized and exploited by British because of the selfishness of our ruling elite, number of British in India never grew beyond 35,000, our own people killed and exploited us to please their "Civilized" masters.

There is a saying: Old habits die hard.

debasree

Country flag
why u think india will act like a banana republic please keep faith on our country ,we r strong &1.4 billin peope so sir please act like that and dont post such a bullshit

bhramos

Country flag
India is already Regional Super Power, But is aspiring "Super Power". we are already best in our region.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
why u think india will act like a banana republic please keep faith on our country ,we r strong &1.4 billin peope so sir please act like that and dont post such a bullshit
We have pretty much enough faith in each other, barring ofcourse the ruling class that has proven spineless time and again. That is the only cause of worry.
Because we in India believe that our role in democracy starts and ends with stamping a vote at ballot. Its like signing a paper without bloody reading it. That is why I don't believe too much in our leadership for everything. When we improve our performance as aware, smart and active voters our leaders are bound to improve. Then we'd not have to post with such suspicion :(

Regards,
Virendra

niharjhatn

The Americans have created enemies wherever it has gone!

anoop_mig25

Country flag
why hell does american see/terms /judge everything in terms of dollars they are going to gain

Patriot

Country flag
If you try to understand our political leadership , they are there just to fill their pocket. If it is asked , what is the height of corruption & immoralityis?The answer will be bloody Indian politicians.We keep faith in our country but not on the political leadership.

Keeping blind faith on these sleazy politicians will be a blunder. Our country is running on good faith only.

The real bullshit are these politicians & their parties, where just being the son or daughter of politicians ensures your birth in parliament & in Government.

Let me tell you , what we all know is just the tip of iceberg of the corruption, immorality & sleaze practiced by these so called leadership.

While dealing with Uncle Sam , who uses all tactics to get his objectives achieved. These pimps are ready sell mother India. Never have faith in them but off-course in in our country.

Dealing with U.S. on equal terms may be fine.

sandeepdg

I am glad that some American policymakers know the true identity of Pakistan, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to deter the Americans from constantly engaging with Pakistan. Pakistan is a like a parasite on the body of the US.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Like others have said "only business". They can stuff there alliance where the sun doesn't shine.

They are not to be trusted.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles