US House approves move to bolster defence ties with India

WolfPack86

Country flag
WASHINGTON: The US House of Representatives has approved a bipartisan legislative move to bolster defence ties with India and bring it at part with other Nato allies in terms of sale of defence equipment and technology transfer.

"It seeks to promote greater defence trade and encourage additional military cooperation between the United States and India," Congressman George Holding said on the floor of the House in favour of the amendment in this regard in the National Defence Authorisation Act (NDAA)-2017.
The amendment (Enhancing Defence and Security Co-operation with India) was sponsored by Holding and Ami Bera (House India Caucus Chairs) and Chair and Ranking Member of House Foreign Affairs Committee Ed Royce and Elliot Engel, respectively.

"I believe that by requiring our government to take actions such as strengthening Defence Technology and Trade Initiative and encouraging combined military planning with India, we can make certain that the US-India defence relationship endures," Holding said.

"Mr Chairman, given the dynamic nature of the Indo-Pacific region and its importance to our own national security and future economic growth, now is the time to build on recent successes and propel the US-India strategic partnership forward," Holding said.
For the US, it encourages the executive branch to designate an official to focus on US-India defence cooperation, facilitate the transfer of defence technology, maintain a special office in the Pentagon dedicated exclusively to the US-India Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI).

It urges the US government to enhance India's military capabilities in the context of combined military planning, and promote co-production/co-development opportunities.
For India, it encourages the government to authorise combined military planning with the US for missions of mutual interest such as humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, counter piracy, and maritime domain awareness.
Senators Mark Warner and John Cornyn, the Senate India Caucus Chairs, introduced a similar bill earlier this week in the Senate

Senator Marco Rubio, the former Republican presidential candidate, became its co-sponsor this week.

It is only when it is passed by the Senate and the House as part of the NDAA-2017, it will head to the White House for US President Barack Obama to be signed into law.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ence-ties-with-India/articleshow/52355349.cms

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This bill is having support from both sides, good thing I suppose.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
So we've got hooked on to the Americans, susceptible to blackmail. "If you don't act according to our wishes we'll impose sanctions on you"! (In other words, we'll screw you!)

This is just like what happened after Smiling Buddha II when they imposed sanctions on us which resulted in the delay of the Tejas by years!

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Its a good move but the problem is that this might lead to deterioration in relations with Russia. Russia is still a major player in the world and is single handedly challenging NATO. We should somehow seek to maintain good relations with Russia.

Russia can be very helpful in case of a confrontation with China wherein they can step in and ask China to back down (though they wouldn't attack China for us).

USA cannot be trusted forever. They prey on opportunities and needs. Right now they need an asian power to tackle China and maybe in the future, Russia. So they are bolstering us. The moment the task is done or not needed anymore they will dump us and go back to pakistan or someone else.

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
Its a good move but the problem is that this might lead to deterioration in relations with Russia. Russia is still a major player in the world and is single handedly challenging NATO. We should somehow seek to maintain good relations with Russia.

Russia can be very helpful in case of a confrontation with China wherein they can step in and ask China to back down (though they wouldn't attack China for us).

USA cannot be trusted forever. They prey on opportunities and needs. Right now they need an asian power to tackle China and maybe in the future, Russia. So they are bolstering us. The moment the task is done or not needed anymore they will dump us and go back to pakistan or someone else.
'Good move' has already been subverted.

From cancelling the aid, they have gone to 'conditional aid', so Pakistan is still getting the aid.

US House decides on conditional military aid for Pakistan

F-16 deal explained: How the US may end up funding Pakistan

Pakistan may get F-16s by July: experts

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Pakistan will anyway always get the support from US. They cannot give upon such a nice big thorn to irritate India. Only question is can Indian milk them and maintain a good relationship with Russia at the same time.

From the equal distance of NAM, can India transform to equal love with both. But the way NAM failed and we ended up standing behind RUssia on most issues, I don't expect result to be any different this time. The only thing which can help prevail some sense is if US continues to fund Pak in some way. This would keep us on our feet and not let us deteriorate relationship with Russia.

Bahamut

The Russian Ambassador has said that US-India relationship will have no impact on India-Russia relationship and India has its right to develop relationship that benefit her.

Kshatriya87

Country flag

From cancelling the aid, they have gone to 'conditional aid', so Pakistan is still getting the aid.

Of course it is. You can't expect a predator like USA to give up their long pampered back up baby for India. But if we have good relations with them, maybe somehow we will be able to exploit it for various purposes E.g. back up for chin, NSG, paki nukes etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Pakistan will anyway always get the support from US. They cannot give upon such a nice big thorn to irritate India. Only question is can Indian milk them and maintain a good relationship with Russia at the same time.

From the equal distance of NAM, can India transform to equal love with both. But the way NAM failed and we ended up standing behind RUssia on most issues, I don't expect result to be any different this time. The only thing which can help prevail some sense is if US continues to fund Pak in some way. This would keep us on our feet and not let us deteriorate relationship with Russia.
Russians are very stubborn and arrogant. They won't just overlook good relations with USA. If we keep making big defence deals with the Russians, that will give us leverage over the Russians taking any negative action against us or severing all ties with us.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
The Russian Ambassador has said that US-India relationship will have no impact on India-Russia relationship and India has its right to develop relationship that benefit her.
They might just be making that statement to justify their deals with Pakistan.

Bahamut

Russians are very stubborn and arrogant. They won't just overlook good relations with USA. If we keep making big defence deals with the Russians, that will give us leverage over the Russians taking any negative action against us or severing all ties with us.

I agree ,milk Russian ,China and US for support ,all three need us ,so have good relation with every one but be in no ones camp.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Under current geopolitical situation, that seems to be a lie.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

You are missing one important point. No matter how much Russia loves China now, but they are also aware they do not want super powerful China as their neighbour. Due to this reason Russo-China axis can ever get powerful. Russia will always need India to keep China under check.

Russia can almost never match China in GDP level so they will keep Indians in good humour. The only country which can counterbalance China.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
You are missing one important point. No matter how much Russia loves China now, but they are also aware they do not want super powerful China as their neighbour. Due to this reason Russo-China axis can ever get powerful. Russia will always need India to keep China under check.

Russia can almost never match China in GDP level so they will keep Indians in good humour. The only country which can counterbalance China.
I cannot totally agree with it given the world politics right now. Both Russia and China share the common communist ideology. Biggest enemy of communism is USA, Britain and as a result - NATO. The only way to effectively keep them at bay is for Russia and China to unite.

Both countries realise that and this is where my concern for India arises.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I cannot totally agree with it given the world politics right now. Both Russia and China share the common communist ideology. Biggest enemy of communism is USA, Britain and as a result - NATO. The only way to effectively keep them at bay is for Russia and China to unite.

Both countries realise that and this is where my concern for India arises.

Communist- give me a break!!

Both Russia and China are crypto crony capitalist countries. They put their interests over everything else and would not mind backstabbing each other. Russia will hate China for same reason as it hates US ie for world domination. Russia will unite with China against US-Nato, but it will not antagonize India either. Russia will never wish a super powerful, independent, careless China as its neighbour. And that is where India comes in.

I think India can finely balance this act if it exploits the Russian-China rivalry. A 2 Trillion $ economy i.e. Russia will always need India as a backup against 10 trillion$ economy i.e. China!!

Russians are hard task masters and I am sure they would not ignore this angle at any cost.

Zebra

Country flag
So we've got hooked on to the Americans, susceptible to blackmail. "If you don't act according to our wishes we'll impose sanctions on you"! (In other words, we'll screw you!)

This is just like what happened after Smiling Buddha II when they imposed sanctions on us which resulted in the delay of the Tejas by years!
Sir, are you trying to bring us back at the square again...........!

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag

It's all a setup sirjee. They just want to show us that they care for our concerns. That's it. They delayed the deal, but persuaded IMF to give an out of the blue loan with half of the conditions not fulfilled. If we think that U.S. will abandon Pakistan just for the sake of a 2 year strategic relation with us, then we are idiots for sure. Pakistan is the key to half of the middle east. Why would U.S. loose it. Their CIA black sites are controlling middle east. It is such a strategic position of value and they spent a lot to get them.

All we must do is, get into a plain relation in the norms of "Quid pro co" and get that Technology transfer, get the goods. Stay in our limits and never compromise with our sovereignty.

And Russia could be the saviour that we may need in case of a war with China. Now I'm not saying that we cannot fight them, but with poor equipment and defective battle management systems, it is our boys that will bear the loss.

Never trust Yanks. They are too good at fucking everyone who gets into bed with them.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Never trust Yanks. They are too good at fucking everyone who gets into bed with them.
And the reason why they fooked us by sanctions after our nuke test in 1974 that resulted in a decades long delay in the LCA project! GE couldn't sell us the engines until the sanctions were lifted.

In addition, the sanctions on India consisted of cutting off all assistance except humanitarian aid, banning the export of defence material and technologies, ending American credit and credit guarantees to India, and requiring the US to oppose lending by international financial institutions to India.

It will be Déjà vu if India tests a nuclear device or does anything the US doesn't want us to do!! This could have a bearing on our relationship with Russia and China too.

In other words, by signing the LSA, we're stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles