US fears terrorists might provoke India, Pakistan conflict

Blackwater

Washington, Feb 18 (IANS) US Defence Secretary Robert Gates worries about the future of Pakistan, fearing that terrorist groups might try to provoke a conflict between India and Pakistan to destabilise the country.

'I worry a lot about Pakistan. It has huge economic problems... They have a serious internal terrorism threat that is seeking to destabilise Pakistan itself,' he said at a hearing of a Senate committee Thursday.

'And I worry that some of those terrorists might try and provoke a conflict between Pakistan and India,' Gates said adding, 'I think that there's a lot to be concerned about with Pakistan.'

Noting that terrorist sanctuaries still exist in Pakistan, Gates praised Islamabad for moving troops from its border with India towards the Afghanistan border.

'The Pakistanis have 140,000 troops on that border. These things improve step by step, not as quickly as we would like, but we get to a better place over time,' he said.

'If you'd asked me two years ago if the Pakistanis would withdraw six divisions from the Indian border and put them in the west, I would have said impossible.

'If you would have asked me if we would begin coordinating operations on both sides of the border with Afghan and ISAF forces on the one side, and the Pakistanis on the other, I would have said that's very unlikely,' he noted.

'They are chipping away at some of these sanctuaries. It's very important what they've done in South Waziristan and Swat. But it's a mixed picture and it's something we just need to keep working at it,' Gates said.

Meanwhile, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, suggested that Washington should take steps to ensure better ties between India and Pakistan to ease the environment of mistrust and animosity between the neighbouring countries.

'In terms of our broader engagement with Pakistan and the region, reducing some of the long-standing enmity and mistrust between India and Pakistan would greatly contribute to our efforts,' Mullen told the House Armed Services Committee.

Mullen said the United States recognized the sovereign rights of both India and Pakistan and was not in favour of dictating foreign policies.

But being a responsible superpower, it was Washington's duty to build a long-term 'partnership with each, and offer our help to improve confidence and understanding between them in a manner that builds long-term stability across the wider region of South Asia,' he said.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/us-fears-t...ia-pakistan-conflict-20110217-202914-887.html

johnee

Oh man, perhaps time for another 26/11...perhaps another headley...

I am guessing, this time the target might be Bangalore...

Later, Rahul Baba will declare that 'Saffron terror' is the biggest threat because hindus are in majority and so we should ignore other kinds of terrorism...then perhaps another round of dossiers...then another round of 'peace talks'...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Why Bangalore mate? Pretty interesting, some Pak member today over here said Raymond Davis was working on a terror plot against India to be launched from Pakistan so that India declares war on Pak.

johnee

Why Bangalore mate? Pretty interesting, some Pak member today over here said Raymond Davis was working on a terror plot against India to be launched from Pakistan so that India declares war on Pak.
Mumbai is already done. So, our super-duper intelligence guys will have security upgraded in Mumbai. So, Mumbai is out. Delhi will also be upgraded. So, the next choices will be: Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune, Kolkatta, Ahmedabad, ....etc etc.

Out of all these, Bangalore represents modern India's rise better. So, the jihadis might want to hit it. 26/11 was also an attack on the rising India. Instead of Hotels, the attack might be on the offices of Infosys...

johnee

Also, the world cup is a huge attraction for these terrorists. Paki generals would be whining that they could not host WC, so this event could be used to paint India as a dangerous destination and do an equal equal.

prahladh

Respected Member
Its been two years since 26/11. Everyone's cool now. All eyes on 2G, CWG, Adarsh, ISRo-Davos S-Band, SWISS money. The Indo-Pak talks are back on track. One more attack and the cycle continues.

Oracle

US knows everything, but doing nothing. All they are concerned about is to catch Osama, which they can then showcase as a prized catch, either dead or alive, and get out of Afghanistan. They even know the increasing co-ordination between LeT, HM etc with Al-Qaida and the Taliban, but is yet to take any action. Seriously, if US wants they can get Pakistan to dismantle and kill/arrest those terrorists in PoK in a month, but I guess PA & ISI are hard bargainers.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
US knows everything, but doing nothing. All they are concerned about is to catch Osama, which they can then showcase as a prized catch, either dead or alive, and get out of Afghanistan. They even know the increasing co-ordination between LeT, HM etc with Al-Qaida and the Taliban, but is yet to take any action. Seriously, if US wants they can get Pakistan to dismantle and kill/arrest those terrorists in PoK in a month, but I guess PA & ISI are hard bargainers.
if US can force dismantle terrorists in POK. Then why she failed to dismantle Taliban and their allies despite fighting for so many years.

Oracle

if US can force dismantle terrorists in POK. Then why she failed to dismantle Taliban and their allies despite fighting for so many years.
Because Al Qaida's safe havens were the caves of the mountains of Tora Bora and there was little the US could do, apart from using bunker buster ammunition. However, LeT and the likes have open camps and training centers in PoK, and they are marked by not only India, but by the US as well.

I also seriously doubt the US' sincerity to end the war. Afghanistan is a very important place to let go, strategically.

Last edited:

prahladh

Respected Member
Because Al Qaida's safe havens were the caves of the mountains of Tora Bora and there was little the US could do, apart from using bunker buster ammunition. However, LeT and the likes have open camps and training centers in PoK, and they are marked by not only India, but by the US as well.
They don't train in caves. They have to come out sometime. Last time I heard U.S fired tomohawk to kill Osama his a$$ was in the open not in caves.

But none of that matters. Not U.S, we have to take some serious action which is yet to be taken after 26/11.

JBH22

Declare war with what? all this war mongering talks leads us to nothing. The saddest part was that govt scrapped the regional hub plan for NSG on cost grounds at least each state should have created SWAT alike teams but i believe only Maharashtra took the step.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
another terror attack means another round of dosssiers,composite dialogues and another round of "saffron" terror comments from rahul gandhi,digvijay singh and others.the congress will refrain even from using the term islamic terror because it might hurt their "secular credentials" even though it is perfectly comfortable for them to use terms like "hindu terror"

ajay_ijn

Country flag
I also seriously doubt the US' sincerity to end the war. Afghanistan is a very important place to let go, strategically.
And Taliban n allies in Pak won't have open camps & training centers??. They have massive network of fighters controlling FATA, and tried to take over swat district. They forced Pakistan down to their knees to negotiate peace treaty with them forcing sharia law in the region.

If Pakistan under US pressure will really crack down on India centric groups. Then those militants will be happy to ally with Taliban, rebel against Pak govt. worse, militants would try to take the control of POK.

no matter how much US pressure is there, Pakistan will not get itself into trouble by cracking down on India centric groups. Their Frankenstein monster, Taliban is just eating pakistan from inside, they would not want others monsters to do the same.

Last edited:

niharjhatn

And Taliban n allies in Pak won't have open camps & training centers??. They have massive network of fighters controlling FATA, and tried to take over swat district. They forced Pakistan down to their knees to negotiate peace treaty with them forcing sharia law in the region.

If Pakistan under US pressure will really crack down on India centric groups. Then those militants will be happy to ally with Taliban, rebel against Pak govt. worse, militants would try to take the control of POK.

no matter how much US pressure is there, Pakistan will not get itself into trouble by cracking down on India centric groups. Their Frankenstein monster, Taliban is just eating pakistan from inside, they would not want others monsters to do the same.
I dare say the real reason the US are involved in the conflict are:
1. Establishing US-led governments (ala Afghanistan, although not turning out 100% as US want) - establish a foothold in a very strategic region (politically and militarily)
2. Further develop US weapons programme - they are trialling weapons there (as pointed out in other threads)

mikkix

Tihar Jail
Banned
brother, news says that this guy involved in terrorist activities in pakistan and may also involved in target killings or may be funding some organizations, it might against pakistan. this guy is not a diplomat, he is an agent as news reported. we have to be careful on this matter. this is not a diplomatic matter.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Hopefully next time GoI will take the opportunity to take back pok.

But chances of it happening are nearly zero.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ If war economy is what they want to continue, then I think Pakistan is the next target. Not how or what, but when. Somewhere down the coming decade, US will be forced to enter Pakistan because more soldier deaths and more bomb blasts will force the US military to either increase the range of drone attacks deep into more inner cities like Peshawar rather than sticking to Miranshah.

I just hope that till then, a more serious government comes out rather than this pseudo-secular Scamster party.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
^^ If war economy is what they want to continue, then I think Pakistan is the next target. Not how or what, but when. Somewhere down the coming decade, US will be forced to enter Pakistan because more soldier deaths and more bomb blasts will force the US military to either increase the range of drone attacks deep into more inner cities like Peshawar rather than sticking to Miranshah.

I just hope that till then, a more serious government comes out rather than this pseudo-secular Scamster party.
Congress in its present state is inept to take back pok but problem is that bjp is equally inept. kargil was perfect opportunity that was thrown by bjp.

Leader like indira gandhi is required now or we should import putin lol.

pmaitra

^^ IMHO, it's not about a party, i.e. Congress or BJP, per se, but more about a personality.

We need personalities like Indira Gandhi, Maneckshaw, Sardar Patel, Lal Bahadur Shashtri, or a little back into the past, Netaji Subhash Bose, or further back, someone like Porus (apologies to the many others whom I have missed).

It takes courage to fight and to take on the unknown.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles