US City Tense After Police Shoot Dead Mexican

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
LOS ANGELES: A US city was on edge today amid protests and condemnation -- including from Mexico's president -- over the fatal police shooting of a homeless Mexican immigrant who was throwing rocks at officers. The incident on Tuesday in Pasco, Washington state comes in the wake of a series of white police shootings of non-white unarmed victims that triggered demonstrations across the United States late last year. "We don't want another Ferguson here in Pasco," said coroner Dan Blasdel, cited by The Seattle Times, referring to the St. Louis suburb rocked by protests after the killing of African American teen Michael Brown last year. Police in Pasco, some 350 kilometres southeast of Seattle, have called for calm. Amateur video of the shooting shows three police officers taking aim at the 35-year old Antonio Zambrano-Montes, who was throwing rocks at them, before they chased him across a road. Police said they had tried to subdue him with a Taser gun but Zambrano-Montes continued to attack them. In the video, the victim appears to raise his hands while running away a few seconds before he is shot dead. On Wednesday, the government of Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto expressed its "deep condemnation" and on Friday Pena Nieto added: "I reiterate Mexico's condemnation of the disproportionate use of lethal force." The Mexican president said he had instructed his foreign minister to provide support to Zambrano- Montes' family and to "rigorously follow the investigation of this so terrible, so shocking event." Blasdel, the Franklin County coroner, said he is considering convening a rare inquest jury to look into the shooting, according to The Seattle Times.

Read more:
US City Tense After Police Shoot Dead Mexican - The New Indian Express

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
LOS ANGELES: A US city was on edge today amid protests and condemnation -- including from Mexico's president -- over the fatal police shooting of a homeless Mexican immigrant who was throwing rocks at officers.
If you throw rocks at the police they are bound to hit you back. One thing to note is that many Mexicans are part of drug cartels. A normal person would not start throwing rocks at the cops unless he is trying to escape a crime scene.

On the other hand he may have been mentally unchallenged. If that is the case then it is really sad as the cops should have shown restraint.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
If you throw rocks at the police they are bound to hit you back. One thing to note is that many Mexicans are part of drug cartels. A normal person would not start throwing rocks at the cops unless he is trying to escape a crime scene.

On the other hand he may have been mentally unchallenged. If that is the case then it is really sad as the cops should have shown restraint.
Yes, There is a point.
But the cops can also shoot to disable a person still alive.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
I think it's high time Monkey Obama controls - racism, religious bigotry and narrow mindedness in his shameless country! :D

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Yes, There is a point.
But the cops can also shoot to disable a person still alive.
Yes that could have been a better approach taken up by the cops but in such situations it is not always possible to shoot non lethal shots into the target. Anyway I would wait for the investigations to throw up more details.

Otm Shank2

Are you mentally "unchallenged"? People do not escape crime scenes by standing throwing rocks at the police

He was most likely mentally ill and dud not deserve to be killed.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
You are Ignorant. Most Hispanics are normal law abidding citizens. He was most likely mentally ill and dud not deserve to be killed.
There are cases of Hispanic people joining gangs and cartels. By majority I meant that a lot of drug cartels in California are run by Mexicans/Colombians. I have never visited/lived in USA so I do not know for sure. You may be right. However a number of famous drug lords were Mexicans or Colombians, one of them being the infamous Pablo Escabar.

Pablo Escobar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drug cartel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mexican Drug War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also I did mention the possibility of the man being mentally impaired. I think we should wait for more reports to come out.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Expect the race pimps to appear on the scene in every such case.

If you want to really get educated about police work, including racial aspects, read Blue Blood by Edward Conlon. He was educated at Harvard before joining the NYPD.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Are you mentally "unchallenged"?

(yes I am mentally unchallenged.)

People do not escape crime scenes by standing throwing rocks at the police

He was most likely mentally ill and dud not deserve to be killed.
You changed your post.

Anyway he was not standing there throwing rocks. I hope you are not mentally challenged as you do not seem to read the full news and go on speaking.

MEXICO CITY: Mexico denounces police killing of unarmed migrant worker in U.S. | National | SanLuisObispo

Three police officers in Pasco chased down Zambrano and shot him after he allegedly hurled rocks at automobiles and the officers. Pasco, in southeast Washington state, has a large community of Mexican residents.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@Otm Shank2 Read this from RT.com
@sorcerer @cobra commando

"‹Man shot dead by police in Washington State after throwing rocks (VIDEO) — RT USA

An investigation is under way into three law enforcement officials with the Pasco Police Department in Washington State after cops there shot and killed a man this week who had reportedly been throwing rocks at officers.

Video footage purported to be from the incident appears to show the victim, 35-year-old Antonio Zambrano-Montes, fleeing on foot from three Pasco police officers across a busy intersection with arms akimbo. The man then turns and faces the cops with his arms in front of him when a barrage of gunfire — as many as 13 shots, according to some accounts — is fired from their guns, fatally wounding him.

Eyewitnesses say that Zambrano-Montes was unarmed at the time of the shooting and, according to one, was "just trying to walk away" when he was shot and killed. Local media outlets have since reported that the man has had a history with local law enforcement and had been released from police custody only one day before he died.

"This is a very disturbing incident, and our hearts go out to the family of Antonio Zambrano-Montes. Fleeing from police and not following an officer's command should not be sufficient for a person to get shot," Kathleen Taylor, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington State, told reporters. "Lethal force should be used only as an absolute last resort. Police need to understand how to de-escalate confrontations and use force only as necessary."

Chief Bob Metzger says that police arrived on the scene moments before Wednesday's officer-involved shooting after being alerted that a man had been lobbing rocks at nearby vehicles. When the cops approached Zambrano-Montes, the chief said the man threw at least one "softball size" rock at the officers and then ignored their orders to put down the rest of his projectiles, prompting the police to deploy their Taser stun-guns "with no effect on the subject," according to Metzger and eyewitness accounts. At least two officers were injured by the rocks, according to the Seattle Times , and were treated at the scene.

:innocent:

"With the threatening behavior by the subject toward the public and the officers during the altercation, officers immediately fired on the subject with their service weapons and the subject went down," the police chief said at a news conference Wednesday.

Video footage purported to be of the shooting surfaced to the web shortly after the incident quickly unfolded, propelling the ordeal to the forefront of local news on Wednesday and raising questions from residents, including those who saw Zambrano-Montes killed with their own eyes.

"I am really upset about what I saw," Pasco resident and eyewitness Benjamin Patrick told The Seattle Times on Wednesday. "I could not believe they were shooting guns. There were cars and people everywhere."

"Yes, he was resisting. Yes, he was wrong. But it looked like there might be something wrong with him. And he wasn't hurting anyone. He had a rock, not a gun. It seems it could have been handled differently," said Patrick, who had planned to attend a rally on Wednesday outside Pasco City Hall to protest the killing. Another demonstration is currently scheduled for the same location on Saturday.

At Wednesday's news conference, Chief Metzger said he was unsure if Zambrano-Montes was armed with anything other than rocks during the ordeal of if any weapons had been recovered.

Blanca Zambrano, the victim's cousin, told a local NBC News affiliate: "We just want justice because today it happened to us, tomorrow it could be any other family."

"It could have been avoided, there could have been other ways around it," she said.

Police spokesman Capt. Ken Roske initially declined to release the names of the officers involved, but later identified them as Officers Ryan Flanagan, Adam Wright and Adrian Alaniz. All three have been placed on administrative leave pending the result of an internal investigation that may take months to complete.

"We always stand behind our officers unless they are proven [wrong]," Chief Metzger said. "We are at this point doing a thorough investigation. If the officers are wrong they will be dealt with accordingly. If they are not wrong, that will also come out."

One of the three officers involved in Wednesday's shooting, Flanagan, has previously been identified along with another cop in an excessive force lawsuit filed by a Pasco resident in 2009, according to the Los Angeles Times . The city ultimately settled the lawsuit for $100,000, the newspaper reported.

Flanagan is a nine-year veteran of the Pasco Police Department, according to local media. Wright and Alaniz have been on the force for eight and two years, respectively.

According to KNDO, the NBC affiliate, a record check revealed that police had responded to an incident last year in which Zambrano-Montes is alleged to have been hitting cars with a broom. When cops approached him, the network reported, Zambrano-Montes apparently began throwing items at the officers, including a rocking chair, and then tried to take one of their guns. He was ultimately hospitalized and treated for methamphetamine use.

:facepalm:

( Wonder if meth is actually a drug?)

A bench warrant was also issued only two weeks ago for Zambrano-Montes' arrest, according to the Los Angeles Times, after he reportedly failed to appear at court for an unspecified charge. It's unclear when he was apprehended with regards to that complaint, but the Times reported that Franklin County court records show that Zambrano-Montes was released by the police on Monday, one day before his death.

The Tri-City Herald described Zambrano-Montes as a Mexican-born orchard worker who didn't speak English but spent the last decade or so in Pasco. His cousin, Blanca Zambrano, said the victim is survived by two daughters.

NBC News could not immediately verify the authenticity of video footage purported to be from Wednesday's shooting, but the Associated Press reported that the person alleged to have filmed it, 21-year-old Dario Infante, said he recorded it from his car after he saw one of the officers deploy his stun gun.

"He didn't throw any rocks after he started running," Infante said of the shooting victim.

Police have reportedly identified other recordings of the account and are reviewing them as part of their investigation into the shooting.

Pasco is a town of around 66,000 situated in southcentral Washington, northwest of Walla Walla. According to the AP, Tuesday's incident marked the fourth fatal officer-involved shooting in Pasco in six months.

Last edited by a moderator:

sorcerer

Country flag
yeah whatever be the case.. if the cops has other options to restrain a subject...they should try it.
Shoot to injure...is one thing.
Being trigger happy and shooting to kill is another.

The protest is against shooting to kill.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
"This is a very disturbing incident, and our hearts go out to the family of Antonio Zambrano-Montes. Fleeing from police and not following an officer's command should not be sufficient for a person to get shot," Kathleen Taylor, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington State, told reporters. "Lethal force should be used only as an absolute last resort. Police need to understand how to de-escalate confrontations and use force only as necessary.
Seems like it's a cold blooded murder by US Cops.

Can we have a thread where we can see these type of attacks where US cops are regularly using inappropriate and excessive use of lethal power on NON-WHITES?

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

Can we have a thread where we can see these type of attacks where US cops are regularly using inappropriate and excessive use of lethal power on NON-WHITES?
@rock127 sir

Everyone knows US police is the most trigger happy police dept out there but how would they stop a drug addict man who is out there to take their guns . As for non lethal measures the police should have used TASER guns. It is the US police after all.
Taser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT: Mexicans are considered white people by US govt. They got this status after American Mexican war.

Here is a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_profiling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_American

All colored countries are white as per US definition.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
@Peter saar: i'm just a keyboard warrior, i'm not pointing fingers at anyone. But the question in this case is about:

(On Wednesday the government of Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto expressed its "deep condemnation" and on Friday Pena Nieto added: "I reiterate Mexico's condemnation of the disproportionate use of lethal force." The Mexican president said he had instructed his foreign minister to provide support to Zambrano- Montes' family and to "rigorously follow the investigation of this so terrible, so shocking event." Blasdel, the Franklin County coroner, said he is considering convening a rare inquest jury to look into the shooting.)

Our 57 year old Indian grandpa got face slammed/takedown and now left partially paralysed lying in hospital bed because he was "moving" too much for the alabama police! now this mexican guy is dead. I mean is it really necessary to shoot and kill a guy just because he's throwing rocks at you ?

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@Peter saar: i'm just a keyboard warrior, i'm not pointing fingers at anyone. But the question in this case is about:

(On Wednesday the government of Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto expressed its "deep condemnation" and on Friday Pena Nieto added: "I reiterate Mexico's condemnation of the disproportionate use of lethal force." The Mexican president said he had instructed his foreign minister to provide support to Zambrano- Montes' family and to "rigorously follow the investigation of this so terrible, so shocking event." Blasdel, the Franklin County coroner, said he is considering convening a rare inquest jury to look into the shooting.)

Our 57 year old Indian grandpa got face slammed/takedown and now left partially paralysed lying in hospital bed because he was "moving" too much for the alabama police! now this mexican guy is dead. I mean is it really necessary to shoot and kill a guy just because he's throwing rocks at you ?
@cobra commando sir

I fully support the Indian grandfather.

However I cannot support a repeated felon who is a crazy drug addict. The guy was throwing rocks and had injured two policemen.

Also I am not saying that he should be killed. In fact I think non lethal forces should be always used by policemen.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Subforum "Americas" covers the Western Hemisphere, from Canada to Peru. How many countries is that? Posts about other countries usually relate to military subjects.

But "Americas" has long been a catch-all for the stories you refer to, with the theme "US is racist police state."

Such posts bring a shit-storm of outrage from brown crybabies that never ends. It is tedious and I have to wonder how they fit into the mission statement of DFI.

And you really want all those posts combined in one thread? Who benefits? It will just be a lot of work for moderators.

Aren't there other anti-American forums where you can hang out and get your fill of that stuff? Try Huffington Post, Daily Kos or Democratic Underground.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
@rock127 sir

Everyone knows US police is the most trgger happy but how would they stop a drug addict man who is out there to take their guns . As ofr non lethal measures the police should have used TASER guns. It is the US police after all.
Taser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To some extent I have to agree with you regarding the crimes and the ethnicity relation specially in US.

I have seen lot of programs on crimes in US for so many years and now I sometime see ID(Investigation Discovery) which is all about crimes.

For example regular series on most hardened criminals living in jails where there are groups like Southern Mexicans/Blacks/Whites etc etc. A large # of criminals are Mexicans/Blacks and involved in all kind of heinous crimes like rape/mutilation/pedophilia/drugs/murders etc.The in-fighting between groups and attacks on cops is not new.

Sometime these criminals get parole but again start doing criminal activities and it's like they would never behave normal.US has one of the most jailed population and even then the crime rate is so high.Perhaps one reason is that 70% of the people own guns and you can't take it back.Seems like in this case the Cops thought of enough is enough(based on his criminal history) and pulled the trigger.

Now interesting thing is that the recent case of Indian grandfather from Gujrat was mistaken as a "Skinny Black Guy" so this tells how easily US cops draw conclusion.

PS: I know Taser very well but any idea if all US cops have it?

sorcerer

Country flag
I was wondering how our cops in here handle such cases.

We see clashes between students and cops.(Courtsey DYFI, SFI, KSU..student unions).. where stones are lavishly used as projectile against cops. But..none of em is shot or killed.Cops do make arrests and there are injuires and collateral damage well..part and parcel of student protests..
I think the same happens with most Asian countries..on Police engagements. Cops cant resort to firing as an immiediate reaction.

What I see as the problem with cops in USA is
Cops are given firearms and when situation happens they dont opt for alternate options but quick take downs.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles