US Army Tests High Power Laser Weapon

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

The U.S. Army's new laser truck has taken a major step toward becoming a reality. Boeing integrated a beam control system to find and track targets and point and focus a laser beam on the targets. Photo: Boeing Company
The Army High Energy Laser Mobile Demonstrator (HEL MD) underwent multiple test events between Nov. 18 and Dec. 10, at White Sands Missile Range, engaging more than 90 mortar rounds and several unmanned aerial vehicles in flight.
It was the first time the Army has tested this vehicle-mounted high- energy laser in the open, employing the system's high power laser source and beam director, both mounted on a truck. Beside the laser system, an unspecified ' enhanced multimode radar' supported the engagement by queuing the laser. The demonstration and testing confirms the capability of a mobile solid-state laser weapon system to counter mortars, UAVs, and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance sensors mounted on the UAVs, officials said.

The beam director, a key part of the beam control system, is a rotating, dome-shaped turret that extends above the roof of the vehicle while engaging targets. Photo: Boeing Company.

Read more here-
US Army Tests High Power Laser Weapon - Defense Update - Military Technology & Defense News

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The Army High Energy Laser Mobile Demonstrator (HEL MD) underwent multiple test events between Nov. 18 and Dec. 10, at White Sands Missile Range, engaging more than 90 mortar rounds and several unmanned aerial vehicles in flight.
I was assigned to WSMR many years ago. The USN tested many of its missiles there as well.

So this new weapons shoots down mortar rounds and UAVs now? I wonder how many they plan to have on the battlefield.

Maybe it could replace CIWS for navy ships.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
I was assigned to WSMR many years ago. The USN tested many of its missiles there as well.

So this new weapons shoots down mortar rounds and UAVs now? I wonder how many they plan to have on the battlefield.

R.I.P :rip: THAAD system.

ramakrishna

US Department of Defense successfully tested Laser Weapons System (LAWS) which will be used on US Navy vessel to bring down the UAVs. I read here that LAWS will be installed upon the USS Ponce, an amphibious transport docking ship of the Fifth Fleet, during the next year, prior to an operational deployment in the summer of 2014.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles