United Kingdom to stop sending financial aid to India from January 1, 2016

AbRaj

Country flag
It's not a matter of 5 years or 5 minutes. Deterrence is always psychological. If Israel didn't have nukes then the Arab hordes would have overrun them by now. Nuclear deterrence allows a smaller adversary to wield disproportionate negotiating power over a conventionally superior foe.

Once Argentina reaches nuclear threshold, Britain will have to measure its words while talking to Argentina. Not to mention, if Argentinian state faces existential threat or if their economy collapses or their state faces imminent annihilation due to some unsavory reasons (terror attacks, MI6/CIA sponsored 'spontaneous' uprisings, economic terrorism, sanctions), the first thing it will do is deliver a neatly dressed nuke to Britan as a parting shot and take you down with them.

It's unfortunate because then I wont get the chocolates that you promised.

"there is a lot of mutual investment between both countries which wouldn’t happen if there was at least at some level a degree of mutual understanding!"

Opss! I hope this small 2 billion $ hiccup isn't going to be an impediment in buying chocolates.
Buddy all these are Indian daily newspapers and written by Indian writers/jernos/intellectuals you can't blame British for our own wrongdoings
It's like Pakistan blaming India for terrorist attacks in Karachi

AbRaj

Country flag
Quite, I don’t really disagree with anything you wrote. Though I still think you are overstating the negativity - or at least misunderstanding where it comes from. 90% of articles in British newspapers about Britain are negative too! Journalists and Politicians respectively are regularly ranked as the least liked professions in the UK - for good reason! Plus far too much of the media is in the hands of people like Rupert Murdock. So it's not the most objective mechanism for learning about the world.

As for the perception some people have of India, well perceptions change over time but our understanding of what India is, is probably a little myopic and fuzzy :) But I'd also say they are changing. As you point out there is a lot of mutual investment between both countries which wouldn’t happen if there was at least at some level a degree of mutual understanding!
Let's hope so, thank you for nice conversation :yo:

Nuvneet Kundu

Buddy all these are Indian daily newspapers and written by Indian writers/jernos/intellectuals you can't blame British for our own wrongdoings
It's like Pakistan blaming India for terrorist attacks in Karachi
Nope. Likha Indian ne hoga par narrative upar se decide hoke aata hai. Ask any of your friend who works in the media. Mine told me that as soon as an intern joins any media hub, they are given a seminar briefing them on the kind of narrative that they need to follow about various topics. The narrrative itself is the selling point of the paper and represents the brand of the paper, so the individual can't transgress. For example if tomorrow you get a job in Charlie Hebdo, they will expect you to come up with certain type of satire targeting a certain group. It's how media organizations work. They wont allow you to give an Indian sickular spin to their stories. The pattern for all papers is set.

Broadcasting is a milti-billion dollar business. Do you think any business worth so much will risk its fortunes on the opinions of an individual writer? The writers are just that, writers. There are not allowed to think. If you go to NDTV and seek internship, first day Barkha Dirt will give you a seminar on how to insult the most number of Hindus with the least number of words :pound:

There is no honor in journalism anymore, it's an industry built on blackmailing people with negative reviews to gain money/favors from them. If you are a hotel owner, you have to pay monthly hafta to all major news paper publishers to ensure that they don't write bad things about you. Doesn't matter how bad your food is, no writer will be allowed to write bad review, once you have paid them well. If you don't pay them then they write bad things about you, doesn't matter whether you are a hotel owner, movie star, or politician.

Ye duniya badi harami hai bitwa.

Last edited:

gslv markIII

Country flag
You won’t get any disagreements for me on Daily Mail readership, a significant minority of who are utter morons – fed by less than nuanced opinion pieces disguised as news
What do you say about BBC readership ?

Untitled.jpg

gslv markIII

Country flag
If they were to salve the guilt caused by what some dead people did or did not do to some other dead people, then i'm sure it would be far more successful if anyone in the UK actually knew where it was spent.
Isn't it almost unbelievable that India never received an official apology for all that ? British never apologized for even the worst their atrocities like Jalianwalah bagh massacre ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles