Unique AMRAAM Firing with Eurofighter Typhoon

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
http://frontierindia.net/unique-amraam-firing-with-eurofighter-typhoon#more-3766

Yesterday a unique AMRAAM firing trial was conducted at Moron Air base in Southern Spain. The trial was the result of close cooperation between the Spanish and British Flight Test Centres of EADS CASA and BAE Systems, under guidance of Eurofighter GmbH, using Eurofighter Typhoons IPA4 and IPA5 - Spanish and British aircraft respectively.

The objective of the testing was to fire the AMRAAM missile from a Eurofighter Typhoon whilst its radar was in passive mode and thus “invisible” for Electronic Support Measures (ESM) Systems. The necessary target data for the missile was acquired by the radar of a second Eurofighter Typhoon and transmitted using the Multi Functional Information Distribution System (MIDS). Both aircraft were separated by quite a distance in range.

This scenario is especially relevant for Eurofighter Typhoon’s Beyond Visual Range (BVR) air combat capability against high level threats, including Low Observable aircraft.

Spain’s IPA4 led the trial as the “firer”, while IPA5 as the “cooperator” illuminated the target with its radar active. This trial is the first known testing of its kind and is the first missile firing that Spain has participated in as part of the Eurofighter Typhoon programme, building on their previous flight test work which includes Meteor environmental testing and air-to-ground weapon trials.

The complex test was meticulously planned over several months and involved a large team of experts from across all partner nations as well as the US, who provided support for the exercise. The trial took place at a closed range in Southern Spain using a Mirach drone.

IPA5, the supporting British aircraft flew over from Warton in Lancashire on Thursday 12th March to assist in the trials and recorded a flight of two hours and four minutes non-stop, covering over 1000 miles to reach Moron air base on only two external fuel tanks and without Air Refuelling. IPA4 will now begin an 11 month Lay-up in order to bring the aircraft up to Tranche 2 functionality.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Lol Moron Air base that's sounds funny.

so whats so unique about that missile apart from MIDSystem of those aircrafts?

shiv

hey i think this is an inherent capability of all modern planes by virtue of datalinking

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
This begs a question...

Can we configure our AWACS to possibly guide the missiles of our fighters onto target while safely away at a distance??? Has something like this PRACTICALLY been done before???

It would be quite an advantage if we had or developed something like that...

shiv

as i said enlightenedmonk this capability is in all the modern planes with data linking including our MKI's

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
This begs a question...

Can we configure our AWACS to possibly guide the missiles of our fighters onto target while safely away at a distance??? Has something like this PRACTICALLY been done before???

It would be quite an advantage if we had or developed something like that...
Quite possible Monk, US AWACS are configured to give real time inputs to the fighter jets, some body correct me if I am wrong.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Does Tejas have the capability to give mid updates to BVR misiles. What about capabilities of Astra?

VayuSena1

Professional
Does Tejas have the capability to give mid updates to BVR misiles. What about capabilities of Astra?
For all we know, HAL might add up such options sooner or in the later versions of Tejas since those versions will be "much more superior" to the current version of Tejas. As far as what is spoken within the media, public and even in HAL, I am to believe that Tejas will be equipped with Astra BVRAAM alongside the Sukhois, MiG-29s and Mirages.

Vikram Sandhu

For all we know, HAL might add up such options sooner or in the later versions of Tejas since those versions will be "much more superior" to the current version of Tejas. As far as what is spoken within the media, public and even in HAL, I am to believe that Tejas will be equipped with Astra BVRAAM alongside the Sukhois, MiG-29s and Mirages.
Tejas is just a waste of time,its too small to face any real fighter jet of PAF .

Vikram Sandhu

Tejas or LCA is just a toy not a fighter

Tejas is just a toy,its too small,I think IAF will use it for training only,i dont think it can fight with any PAF fighter like f-16 or J-10 etc.By Vikram Sandhu

Vikram Sandhu

No body is talking about F-18 super hornet,in my view it is the real fighter between all MRCA contenders,others all are either underdevelopment or incomplete platforms,SH is complete with all the multirole capabilities,tested in real war.Why we are thinking about others and not for real champion. By Vikram Sandhu.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles