National War Memorial

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
India Gate right place to build war memorial: AK Antony

India Gate is the right place to build a national war memorial, Defence Minister A K Antony today said, against the backdrop of opposition by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit to the proposal.

"As far as we are concerned, this (India Gate) is the place to have a war memorial. We are very clear," he told reporters after laying wreath at the Amar Jawan Jyoti to commemorate the 41st anniversary of the Indian victory in the 1971 war with Pakistan.

The Defence Minister was asked to react to the separate letters written by the Delhi Chief Minister opposing the construction of war memorial at the India Gate.

He said after long years of efforts, a Group of Ministers (GoM) set up by Prime Minister and the three Services chiefs had agreed to set up the war memorial here.

"Before taking the proposal to the Cabinet (for approval), the Urban Development Ministry has written to all the stakeholders to seek their comments and views.But I am sure that we will be able to clinch the issue," Antony said when asked if Dikshit's letter may delay the process of building the war memorial at the India Gate complex.

In separate letters to Antony, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath, she has said that an alternative site should be found for the memorial.

Dikshit said India Gate is the only popular hangout place for people of the city and coming up of the memorial there would restrict movement of people in the area due to security reasons, top sources said.

She has said that setting up of the memorial would also affect the ambience of the area. :fkidding: :fkidding:

The armed forces have been demanding a war memorial in the national capital to honour their men who made supreme sacrifice in various wars, conflicts and militancy-related incidents in Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast.

India Gate right place to build war memorial: AK Antony - India - DNA

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
BJP backs Antony on war memorial

Defence Minister A K Antony on Monday received BJP's support on setting up a war memorial in the historic India Gate, even though the proposal has come under criticism from Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.

"Opposition by Delhi Chief Minister is shameful. The war memorial has to be in the India Gate and should be the world's best," Vijay said in the Rajya Sabha on Monday.

A group of ministers in August approved setting up of the memorial at the India Gate overcoming years of opposition from Union urban development ministry and Delhi urban arts commission.

BJP backs Antony on war memorial

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Re: India Dont Have National War Memorial to honour Martyr

Well neither NDA/BJP could construct War Memorial during their rule. Why selective bias ?
1) You are suggesting that this issue was taken to BJP and they out-rightly refused like Con-gress / Sheila did?

2) BJP never funded Mad-rasas to be planted all over our borders!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

1) You are suggesting that this issue was taken to BJP and they out-rightly refused like Con-gress / Sheila did?
What I suggested is that NDA/BJP failed to honor nation's soldiers by missing on National War Memorial. Tell me if I should write that again.

2) BJP never funded Mad-rasas to be planted all over our borders!
Irrelevant & offtopic.

maomao

Country flag

What I suggested is that NDA/BJP failed to honor nation's soldiers by missing on National War Memorial. Tell me if I should write that again.
Please go ahead and write again!

However; your assertion is very secular (i.e. BS) in nature; nonetheless, BJP did not build a memorial in 6 years (were they asked??), whereas secular Con-gress in 60 years has led India into a mess, and now one quarter of secular con-gress refuses to accept the memorial and BJP supports building it!! (bottom-line: secular con-gress is reluctant to build it not the BJP)

Did anyone brought the issue of building a memorial for soldiers to BJP's notice when they were in power? NO! Then why Blame them for con-gress's audacity to refuse a memorial today when BJP is not in power.....By joe secularism and their BS augments!

Irrelevant & offtopic
I don't think so! Why are my funds being allocated to Mullahs, Mad-rasas and Islam; when they could be utilized for greater good? I don't think in any way we are strengthening our nation by building Mad-rasas and funding Mullahs the way con-gress and other secular parties are doing!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

Please go ahead and write again!

However; your assertion is very secular (i.e. BS) in nature;
How does secularism relates to anything that I posted?

Issue here is war memorial & successive Govts failing to construct it.

I pointed it out. How does it relate to secularism? Do you even know the definition of secularism ?

nonetheless, BJP did not build a memorial in 6 years (were they asked??),
Yes they were sitting on Army's demand since 1960s.

So why BJP didn't build War Memorial ?

Did anyone brought the issue of building a memorial for soldiers to BJP's notice when they were in power? NO! Then why Blame them for con-gress's audacity to refuse a memorial today when BJP is not in power.....By joe secularism and their BS augments!
:facepalm:

Demand & proposal to construct War Memorial was eating dust all since 1960s. Its only recently that GoM cleared the file.

Get some information before calling out BS & throwing around words like Secularism.

I don't think so! Why are my funds being allocated to Mullahs, Mad-rasas and Islam; when they could be utilized for greater good? I don't think in any way we are strengthening our nation by building Mad-rasas and funding Mullahs the way con-gress and other secular parties are doing!
Its irrelevant on this particular topic. Go open threads you like for that.

maomao

Country flag

How does secularism relates to anything that I posted?

Issue here is war memorial & successive Govts failing to construct it.

I pointed it out. How does it relate to secularism? Do you even know the definition of secularism ?
Issue is 'secular' con-gress doing dilly-dally on the issue not successive govts. failing to construct any memorial! Moreover, con-gress has enjoyed power for around 60 yrs, comparision with BJP just shows intellectual bankruptcy!

Yes they were sitting on Army's demand since 1960s.

So why BJP didn't build War Memorial ?
Issue wasn't raised when BJP was in power! Is it that hard for your secular head to understand! :)

Demand & proposal to construct War Memorial was eating dust all since 1960s. Its only recently that GoM cleared the file.
Was BJP made aware of such files?? No. You wanna compare shameless behavior of secular con-gress with BJP's moral high ground on this issue! That's the nature of a secularist!

Get some information before calling out BS & throwing around words like Secularism.
Secularism=BS....and what you write is most of the time secularsim!

Its irrelevant on this particular topic. Go open threads you like for that.
Let me see......NO!! ;)

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

Issue wasn't raised when BJP was in power! Is it that hard for your secular head to understand! :)
Army demanded war memorial in 1960s. The file sat in MoD's office for decades. Instead of talking about my head, start reading properly -

The proposal for National War Memorial (NWM) was first mooted in the 1960s and is still stuck in the long corridors of political and bureaucratic apathy. Virtually all defence ministers, past and present, have promised it but no decision has been taken so far.

India honours its soldiers with apathy; war memorial remains on paper - India - DNA

Was BJP made aware of such files?? No. You wanna compare shameless behavior of secular con-gress with BJP's moral high ground on this issue! That's the nature of a secularist!
Any Govt taking over is in-charge and responsible for all demands/requests/concerns/proposals of every stakeholder in this country, which also includes MoD and Army. No govt needs to be reminded of what is pending, it is a responsibility when you assume chair.

Secularism=BS....and what you write is most of the time secularsim!
You abuse secularism because you hate congress. Hating congress is fine, abusing congress is fine, congress is not secular either. But failing to understand difference between two is laughable & sad at the same time.

Let me see......NO!! ;)
Doesn't matter what you say or see. OTs will not be tolerated.

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
@maomao

May be you were not there or isn't aware of affairs before 2004.

But demand for War Memorial has been raised repeatedly by Army. Politicians in Delhi have put shame to nation by doing nothing more than lip service.

I remember issue was in news even during NDA regime in early 2000.

War Memorial for the Post-Independence Heroes Mere Lip-Service Will Not Do

13 March 2003 (Lok Sabha) \"It is proposed to set up a \'National War Memorial\' preferably along the Central Vista in New Delhi to commemorate those who have laid down their lives for the country. The matter is being pursued with Ministry of Urban Development for allotment of a suitable plot of land for this purpose." Defence Minister Shri George Fernandes. 22 July 2004 (Lok Sabha) \"There is a proposal to construct a national war memorial and a national war museum as symbols of national pride and honor for the soldiers who laid their lives valiantly for the cause of motherland. The Ministry of Urban Development has been approached for allotment of suitable land. The land is yet to be allotted." The Defence Ministry had sent a proposal to the Ministry of Urban Development on October 17, 2001 for allotment of land.
Indian Military Review, Indian Defence Yearbook, Defence Trade Directory & Buyer's Guide

Read the entire content if you have premium membership.

Govts over the years have done nothing more than passing ball to different departments. That is insensitive & disrespectful towards our soldier who laid down their lives to save ours.

All the monkeys sitting in parliament are bunch of ungrateful morons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Can we stop political nonsense in this thread..

We know our Politicians, They are all same..

This is the issue of Civilian Soldiers..

kseeker

Retired
Budget 2014: India to finally get a national war memorial, Modi govt allocates Rs 100cr - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: The armed forces will now finally get their national war memorial (NMW), which was first proposed in the 1960s to honour the soldiers who have laid down their lives to defend the nation since 1947, near the India Gate complex in the Capital.

"I am happy to announce the war memorial will be constructed in the Princess Park. It will be supplemented by a war museum. I am allocating a sum of Rs 100 crore for this purpose," said finance minister Arun Jaitely, who holds the additional charge of the defence ministry.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi earlier this year had attacked the then UPA government for dragging its feet on the NWM. "There is no country in the world where there is not a war memorial. India has fought several wars, thousands of our soldiers have been martyred. Should we not remember them? Should not there be a war memorial," he had said.

This will fulfil one of the longest-standing demands of the armed forces, who often feel slighted by the politico-bureaucratic combine.

Ironically, the majestic India Gate was built by the British to honour the 84,000 Indian soldiers killed fighting for the imperialistic power in World War-I and the Afghan campaign. With there being no memorial to remember the soldiers killed during the 1947-48 J&K operations, the 1962, 1965 and 1971 wars and the 1999 Kargil conflict, the armed forces have always been keen that the NWM come up in the India Gate complex on the Central Vista in the Capital.

But the Union urban development ministry and the Delhi Urban Art Commission for long opposed the project on the ground that it would disrupt the layout and spoil the aesthetics of the Central Vista.

Finally, after years of discussions in August 2012, the group of ministers (GoM) headed by then defence minister A K Antony had agreed to the armed forces' demand after getting the urban development ministry on board for the project. Since then, the three Services have virtually finalized an integrated masterplan for the construction of the memorial and museum.

Incidentally, the Army had earlier prepared a ``conceptual design'' for the NWM, which involved a landscape-type memorial around the `chhatri' (canopy) near India Gate and ``retaining walls'' with the names of martyrs inscribed on them. The museum was to concurrently come up at Princess Park, which currently includes accommodation for military officers and their families.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good move :thumb:

Max Mojito

So disappointing it took this long. I think they should go a step further and showcase some of ancient India's battles and stories in the museum.

right wing

Country flag
from what i heard emnating from my bjp sources on twitter,this memorial will be a mini..wonder and pm himself is taking keen interest in its aesthetic view.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Long neglected Armed forces may get a ray of hope ..

The Fox

this was long overdue and a well deserved one good job NAMO

Shadow

Country flag
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, today approved the construction of a National War Memorial and a National War Museum at Princess Park, near India Gate, New Delhi in memory of all Indian soldiers who have made the supreme sacrifice for the country post-independence.

The estimated cost of the project will be around Rs. 500 crore and the total time for completion of the entire project is estimated to be five years.

Post-Independence, more than 22,500 soldiers have made the supreme sacrifice in national interests and in defence of the sovereignty and integrity of the country. However, even after 69 years of Independence, no memorial to commemorate the martyrs has been constructed till date. With the present decision of the Cabinet a long pending demand of the Armed Forces has been redressed.

It has been decided that the prestigious project will be monitored by an empowered Steering Committee chaired by Defence Secretary and assisted by a dedicated project management team, to ensure that the proposed project is completed within scheduled time frame, Post commissioning, a management body will be formed for maintenance of the National War Memorial and Museum.

This government will be establishing a War Memorial and a Museum with a deep sense of gratitude to honour those brave soldiers, who laid down their lives. The memorial will promote a sense of patriotism in the minds of visitors, and will award an opportunity to citizens of this vast nation, to express their token sense of gratitude to the brave soldiers, who laid down their lives for the mother land.

While their final movements, would have gone unnoticed and on occasions their final resting place unknown, this museum will capture those poignant moments in history and bring out the variegated nature of their commitments.

Their dedication, this government feels is a part of unfinished work in nation building. This Government resolves with all its humility at its command that they did not die in vain and that Bharat Mata is enriched by their contribution. A visit to the memorial shall inspire us to rededicate ourselves to this great nation with utmost devotion.
http://www.narendramodi.in/cabinet-approves-construction-of-national-war-memorial--363835

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles