National War Memorial

sorcerer

Country flag
Indian soldiers were bravest, says WW-II British army commander
“Indian soldiers were the bravest of the brave. It was an honour to command them,” says Major Tom Conway (retd), 98, one of the last surviving British officers who had commanded Indian soldiers.

Major Conway was in Amritsar on Sunday for the inaugural ceremony of War Memorial and had come to north India after 80 years. “They (state government) wanted other officers around as well, but probably I am the only one surviving,” he says.

A World War-II veteran and one of the heroes of Battle of Alamein, he had commanded the Dogras, Sikhs and Pathans.

Major Conway joined the British Army in April 1940. “I volunteered to join the Indian Army in Egypt. I had heard and read so much about India. I had read Rudyard Kipling and I was also impressed from the tales of valour of the Indian soldiers,” he says. He joined Guides Cavalry where he commanded companies of Dogras, Sikhs and Pathans. “Dogras were the quietest. It was being said that they were easier to command. But they were all good,” he adds. “I used to take train from Pathankot to Kullu valley which used to run at ten past midnight daily. I used to visit Dogra soldiers’ families to get to know them better,” he recalls.

World War-II with Indian soldiers

In 1941, Guides Cavalry was a reconnaissance regiment for 8 Indian Division in Egypt. “We were armed with wheeler carriers, made by Tata,” he narrates. Then they went to Syria. “One of our brigades was overrun. We were retreating,” he adds. Then he was asked to go to Sudan where he commanded the Sikhs.

In November 1942, the Battle of Alamein took place in Egypt where he was one of the heroes and got a medal too. “First time in 3 years, Germans had a major defeat. Churchill (Winston) said it was not the end of war but the beginning of the end. Our job was to keep the Army chasing,” he says. Then he was sent to Iraq to check Germans from the North, but they instead attacked Russia and tasted reverses.

“By the beginning of 1943, there was no threat to Middle East. I was sent to India. I was to engage in Burma (Myanmar) with 15 Indian Division but was sent to North West Frontier area as small-scale battles were going on there. I commanded Dogras there,” he adds.

In 1944, he went to Britain for a month which was his first leave in four years. He looked after Indian contingent in London and retired after victory parade in 1946.

“It is wrong to say that the British only recruited martial races in India. In the 18th century, most of the soldiers in the Army used to be from the Southern parts,” he says. After going back to Britain, he married a Chinese teacher and stayed in Japan for about 25 years. “I would love to go back to Kullu valley again…Though I do not know whether I would be able to make it,” he says.
http://www.defencenews.in/article/Nagpur-SEZ-to-host-Rafale-offset-manufacturing-18916

sorcerer

Country flag
Govt approves Rs 500-crore project for war memorial, museum

The govt approved a Rs 500- crore project for building a National War Memorial and a National War Museum near India Gate in memory of over 22,500 soldiers who laid down their lives post-Independence. (Source: AP)

Acceding to a long-pending demand of the armed forces, the government on Wednesday approved a Rs 500- crore project for building a National War Memorial and a National War Museum near India Gate in memory of over 22,500 soldiers who laid down their lives post-Independence.

The total time for completion of the entire project at Princess Park in New Delhi is estimated to be five years.

Post-Independence, more than 22,500 soldiers have made the supreme sacrifice in national interests and in defence of the sovereignty and integrity of the country.

However, even after 69 years of Independence, no memorial to commemorate the martyrs has been constructed till date.

With the present decision of the Cabinet, a long-pending demand of the armed forces has been redressed, an official statement released after the Cabinet meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, said.

It has been decided that the project will be monitored by an empowered Steering Committee chaired by Defence Secretary and assisted by a dedicated project management team, to ensure that the proposed project is completed within scheduled time- frame.

Post commissioning, a management body will be formed for maintenance of the National War Memorial and the museum.

“This government will be establishing a war memorial and a museum with a deep sense of gratitude to honour those brave soldiers, who laid down their lives.

“The memorial will promote a sense of patriotism in the minds of visitors, and will award an opportunity to citizens of this vast nation, to express their token sense of gratitude to the brave soldiers, who laid down their lives for the motherland,” the statement said.

While their final movements would have gone unnoticed and on occasions their final resting place unknown, this museum will capture those poignant moments in history and bring out the variegated nature of their commitments, it said.

“Their dedication, this government feels is a part of unfinished work in nation-building. This government resolves with all its humility at its command that they did not die in vain and that Bharat Mata is enriched by their contribution. A visit to the memorial shall inspire us to rededicate ourselves to this great nation with utmost devotion,” the statement said.

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...rs-500-crore-project-for-war-memorial-museum/

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The National War Memorial finally ready, 60 years after proposed by the armed forces and remained stuck in general politico-bureaucratic apathy, to honour the over 22,600 soldiers who have laid down their lives. The NWM, built at a cost of Rs 176 cr by the NDA govt in Oct 2015.

Flame Thrower

The National War Memorial finally ready, 60 years after proposed by the armed forces and remained stuck in general politico-bureaucratic apathy, to honour the over 22,600 soldiers who have laid down their lives. The NWM, built at a cost of Rs 176 cr by the NDA govt in Oct 2015.

Just curious why posting it now

Jackd

A tour of the the National war memorial!! It's finally here.

captscooby81

Country flag
Apparently Veterans are not happy with Modi speech on the inauguration as it sounded more political from the end of 90 seconds rather speaking more about the valour of soldiers and some important battles ..:tsk:

sorcerer

Country flag
Apparently Veterans are not happy with Modi speech on the inauguration as it sounded more political from the end of 90 seconds rather speaking more about the valour of soldiers and some important battles ..:tsk:
For veterans every battle is important my friend..
Every battle.
Better kept political for greater good .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
if we go back in memory lane

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles