UN urges world to eat more Insects to fight hunger

t_co

Is eating insects vegetarian?

Would insects violate a vegetarian diet?

t_co

Re: Is eating insects vegetarian?

Insect can violate a vegetarian's diet.
The reason I ask this is because a friend of mine just published a paper calling on developing nations to emphasize human consumption of insects to fill protein and fat dietary requirements without overtaxing arable land. Sounds like a pretty good solution for LDCs as their population continues to grow.

pmaitra

Insects are not vegetarian in my books. Also, crabs, shrimps, and lobsters, to me are non-vegetarian, and could be classified as insects.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

The reason I ask this is because a friend of mine just published a paper calling on developing nations to emphasize human consumption of insects to fill protein and fat dietary requirements without overtaxing arable land. Sounds like a pretty good solution for LDCs as their population continues to grow.
Would life be worth living when we're all eating bugs?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

It's obviously non-vegetarian.
Anyway, wanna read the paper, link please.

pmaitra

Don't worry bud, many Indians already eat a lot of bugs, unknowingly, of course.

Guess where the red colour of strawberry icecreams come from? Not from strawberries, but from an insect, a beetle. These beetles, once dead, are dried, and crushed into a powder, and then is used to make food colour. Of course, it is good, in a way, they are harmless, unlike chemical food colours.

t_co

Would life be worth living when we're all eating bugs?
Isn't it fairly similar to eating shrimp and lobster?

It's obviously non-vegetarian.
Anyway, wanna read the paper, link please.
He works for the UN FAO. Here is the report:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3253e/i3253e.pdf

Don't worry bud, many Indians already eat a lot of bugs, unknowingly, of course.

Guess where the red colour of strawberry icecreams come from? Not from strawberries, but from an insect, a beetle. These beetles, once dead, are dried, and crushed into a powder, and then is used to make food colour. Of course, it is good, in a way, they are harmless, unlike chemical food colours.
My thoughts exactly. If the insects were properly processed, I would have no ill feelings about eating them. I've had fried silkworms before; they were absolutely delicious when breaded and pan-fried with leeks (they had the creamy, eggy texture of a quiche).

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned

Isn't it fairly similar to eating shrimp and lobster?

He works for the UN FAO. Here is the report:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3253e/i3253e.pdf

My thoughts exactly. If the insects were properly processed, I would have no ill feelings about eating them. I've had fried silkworms before; they were absolutely delicious when breaded and pan-fried with leeks (they had the creamy, eggy texture of a quiche).
I had fried and salted grasshoppers in Bangkok. Absolutely delicious!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Would insects violate a vegetarian diet?
Technically, yes.

But when one breathes, one does take in living microbes in the air.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

UN finds way to beat hunger: Eat insects

ROME: The UN has new weapons to fight hunger, boost nutrition and reduce pollution, and they might be crawling or flying near you right now: edible insects.

The Food and Agriculture Organization on Monday hailed the likes of grasshoppers, ants and other members of the insect world as an underutilized food for people, livestock and pets.

A 200-page report, released at a news conference at the UN agency's Rome headquarters, says 2 billion people worldwide already supplement their diets with insects, which are high in protein and minerals, and have environmental benefits.

Insects are "extremely efficient" in converting feed into edible meat, the agency said. On average, they can convert 2kg of feed into 1kg of insect mass. In comparison, cattle require 8 kg of feed to produce a kilo of meat.

Most insects are likely to produce fewer environmentally harmful greenhouse gases, and also feed on human and food waste, compost and animal slurry, with the products being used for agricultural feed, the agency said. Currently, most edible insects are gathered in forests and what insect farming does take place is often family-run and serves niche markets.

But the UN says mechanization can ratchet up insect farming production. The fish bait industry, for example, has long farmed insects. Insect farming is "one of the many ways to address food and feed security", the food agency said.

"Insects are everywhere and they reproduce quickly," the agency said, adding they leave a "low environmental footprint". They provide high-quality protein and nutrients when compared with meat and fish and are "particularly important as a food supplement for undernourished children", it said.

Insects can also be rich in copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium and zinc, and are a source of fiber.

The agency noted that its Edible Insect Programme is also examining the potential of arachnids, such as spiders and scorpions, although they are not strictly speaking insects.

University biologists have analyzed the nutritional value of edible insects, and some of them, such as certain beetles, ants, crickets and grasshoppers, come close to lean red meat or broiled fish in terms of protein per gram.

But are they tasty?

The report noted that some caterpillars in southern Africa and weaver ant eggs in Southeast Asia are considered delicacies and command high prices. And some people who might not entertain the thought of consuming insects might already be eating them. Many insects are ingested inadvertently.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...t-hunger-Eat-insects/articleshow/20040242.cms

amoy

Tried silkworm pupa once but found it distasteful. Some say fried locusts delicious.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Vishwarupa

Country flag
United Nations urges hungry world to eat bugs

London, May 14 (ANI): The United Nations has issued an official advice suggesting that insects can help combat food-insecurity worldwide, as they are a virtually "untapped" source of food for people.
Insects are consumed regularly by about 2 billion people around the world, as part of their diets. Insects high fat, protein and mineral content make them a nutritious alternative to meat, fish and other common dietary staples, the Independent reported.
The UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) said that over 1,900 species of insect can be consumed by humans - most popular among them being beetles, caterpillars, bees, wasps and ants.
They could also be a particularly important food source for undernourished kids because most of them contain high levels of fatty acids.
FAO said that insects emit fewer greenhouse gases and need less land or water than cattle when they are farmed. (ANI)

United Nations urges hungry world to eat bugs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why cant North America & EU try this first? These 2 continents are beef addicts & produce more than 57% of the worlds total green house gases.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

ROME: The UN has new weapons to fight hunger, boost nutrition and reduce pollution, and they might be crawling or flying near you right now: edible insects.

The Food and Agriculture Organization on Monday hailed the likes of grasshoppers, ants and other members of the insect world as an underutilized food for people, livestock and pets.

A 200-page report, released at a news conference at the UN agency's Rome headquarters, says 2 billion people worldwide already supplement their diets with insects, which are high in protein and minerals, and have environmental benefits.Insects are 'extremely efficient' in converting feed into edible meat, the agency said. On average, they can convert 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) of feed into 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of insect mass. In comparison, cattle require 8 kilograms (17.6 pounds) of feed to produce a kilo of meat.

Most insects are likely to produce fewer environmentally harmful greenhouse gases, and also feed on human and food waste, compost and animal slurry, with the products being used for agricultural feed, the agency said.Currently, most edible insects are gathered in forests and what insect farming does take place is often family-run and serves niche markets. But the UN says mechanization can ratchet up insect farming production. The fish bait industry, for example, has long farmed insects.

Insect farming is "one of the many ways to address food and feed security," the food agency said."Insects are everywhere and they reproduce quickly," the agency said, adding they leave a "low environmental footprint." They provide high-quality protein and nutrients when compared with meat and fish and are "particularly important as a food supplement for undernourished children," it said.

Insects can also be rich in copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium and zinc, and are a source of fiber.The agency noted that its Edible Insect Program is also examining the potential of arachnids, such as spiders and scorpions, although they are not strictly speaking insects.

University biologists have analyzed the nutritional value of edible insects, and some of them, such as certain beetles, ants, crickets and grasshoppers, come close to lean red meat or broiled fish in terms of protein per gram (ounce).But are they tasty?

The report noted that some caterpillars in southern Africa and weaver ant eggs in Southeast Asia are considered delicacies and command high prices.And some people who might not entertain the thought of consuming insects might already be eating them. Many insects are ingested inadvertently.

sorcerer

Country flag
:dafuq:
As if humans have not made species extinct....
UN should save insects to the last available food option for humans..we have not yet made lots of others species extinct yet.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

The original UN article is posted below ...please continue here but it has some graphic images ...... :puke: :puke: :puke:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles