UK starts building new permanent navy base in Bahrain

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The UK has begun the construction of a new Royal Navy facility in Bahrain, which will become the first permanent British military base in the Middle East in over four decades. It is designed to assert influence over the Gulf and to fight extremist elements in the region.

The British Foreign Secretary, accompanied by navy personnel, attended the grand ceremony at Bahrain’s Mina Salman Port, marking the beginning of construction works at the new Royal Navy base.

“The beginning of construction work at Mina Salman Port marks a watershed moment in the UK’s commitment to the region,” Philip Hammond said at the ceremony. “The presence of the Royal Navy in Bahrain is guaranteed into the future, ensuring Britain’s sustained presence east of Suez.”

Bahrain used to be Britain’s primary naval stronghold in the Persian Gulf region. Starting from 1935 it hosted the Royal Navy’s whole Middle Eastern command. For nearly four years, from 1967 until gaining formal independence from the UK in 1971, Bahrain was Britain’s main regional naval base.

The declared primary aim of the base is to help battle the Islamic State and other jihadist and extremist groups present in the region, which Hammond called the “great challenge of our time.”

"We in Britain, have recognised – perhaps later than we should have – that to prevail in that struggle, we have to tackle all forms of extremism, not just violent extremism,” he said.

Hammond acknowledged that there is a link between non-violent extremism and violent extremism, saying that for decades UK tolerated multiculturalism in a way that eventually contributed to violent forms of extremism flourishing.

“We’ve been too tolerant of intolerance. Too anxious about causing offence instead of standing up for what is right and tackling head-on the radicalizers and the extremists peddling their messages of hatred and division,” Hammond said.

The £15 million ($23 million) base is mainly funded by the Bahraini royal family and is expected to accommodate Britain’s new Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers and Type 45 destroyers.

https://www.rt.com/uk/320358-royal-...rome&utm_campaign=chrome#.VjWk9AjH4bc.twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmaitra

I was about to post this news. The tiny island that no one pays attention to still wants to act like an Empire riding the coat-tails of the US. No wonder they love Bahrain, rules by a Sunni despot terrorizing its Shia majority.

Illusive

Country flag
No wonder they love Bahrain, rules by a Sunni despot terrorizing its Shia majority.
And at the same breath saying, they(britain) have been too tolerant to intolerance and need to stand up to radicals and extremists :lol:.

So Bahraini Royal family is funding this project....... what else, bigger mosques in UK?

Zebra

Country flag
They already has base there, since 2001.

But new will replace old. I guess.

blue marlin

I was about to post this news. The tiny island that no one pays attention to still wants to act like an Empire riding the coat-tails of the US. No wonder they love Bahrain, rules by a Sunni despot terrorizing its Shia majority.
thats rich coming from a country that thinks its a world power where its just a thorn and an embarrassment to the world.
the world is just wanting to exploit india, and then when it all goes belly up you will be left with a mess.

pmaitra

thats rich coming from a country that thinks its a world power where its just a thorn and an embarrassment to the world.
the world is just wanting to exploit india, and then when it all goes belly up you will be left with a mess.
India is certainly a bigger power than UK.

Illusive

Country flag
Don't be so sad, you still doing better than other former colonial powers like spain and portugal. Can't say the same about France though.

And no one can match what Britain did with English. I have seen people in my city converse among themselves in English instead of Hindi, usually the rich and well to do folks.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Don't be so sad, you still doing better than other former colonial powers like spain and portugal. Can't say the same about France though.

And no one can match what Britain did with English. I have seen people in my city converse among themselves in English instead of Hindi, usually the rich and well to do folks.
France has much bigger image in Africa than Britain. Most of the old British colonies don't care about them or their opinion. India being bigger than Britain gives a lot of pain to Britards. Same is not true for France because most of their colonies are still puny as compared to them.

Also, France can still independently take decisions, while Britain almost always piggybacks on US!! Spain and Portugal are even worse than Britain. With the upcoming elections in Spain, they might lose a quarter of their country as Catalunya!!

Illusive

Country flag
France has much bigger image in Africa than Britain. Most of the old British colonies don't care about them or their opinion. India being bigger than Britain gives a lot of pain to Britards. Same is not true for France because most of their colonies are still puny as compared to them.

Also, France can still independently take decisions, while Britain almost always piggybacks on US!! Spain and Portugal are even worse than Britain. With the upcoming elections in Spain, they might lose a quarter of their country as Catalunya!!
I meant Britain was doing better than portugal and spain but not France. France has bigger image compared to Britain, like you said. They have the 2nd largest overseas territories after USA. Technologically and politically superior, plus their huge tourism industry. And definitely not a 'yes man' of USA.

Still, UK astute class subs is something to envy about. They just fucked up their carriers with that F35b instead of going with a flat top alongwith F35c.

blue marlin

I meant Britain was doing better than portugal and spain but not France. France has bigger image compared to Britain, like you said. They have the 2nd largest overseas territories after USA. Technologically and politically superior, plus their huge tourism industry. And definitely not a 'yes man' of USA.

Still, UK astute class subs is something to envy about. They just fucked up their carriers with that F35b instead of going with a flat top alongwith F35c.
the french cant build proper ucav's they came crying to us wanting to join our taranis program.
we are the fastest growing western european country.

firstly i think we should have gone for the f35c too. but the carriers are world class and the latest out there.and dont forget our type 45 destroyers. better than the kolkata.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The Sun has set on the Empire and it's not gonna rise soon no matter what the Brits do or say, also the title is misleading it should say" Bahraini Royal family steps in to build base for cash strapped British navy in lieu of British support for atrocities on Shia minorities in Bahrain".

Illusive

Country flag
the french cant build proper ucav's they came crying to us wanting to join our taranis program.
Maybe @Gabriel92 can shed some tears...i mean light into this :biggrin2:

we are the fastest growing western european country.
Who we, you mean Ireland.

firstly i think we should have gone for the f35c too. but the carriers are world class and the latest out there.and dont forget our type 45 destroyers. better than the kolkata.
I am taking about the design of the AC, it was designed to carry only STOVL aircrafts, there's no chance for F35C to be able to operate without an angled deck or a arrester wires and catapults.

This thread should help you http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-45-destroyers-of-the-royal-navy.33225/page-2

blue marlin

Maybe @Gabriel92 can shed some tears...i mean light into this :biggrin2:

Who we, you mean Ireland.

I am taking about the design of the AC, it was designed to carry only STOVL aircrafts, there's no chance for F35C to be able to operate without an angled deck or a arrester wires and catapults.

This thread should help you http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-45-destroyers-of-the-royal-navy.33225/page-2
the ac was made for the f35b, it would cost over a billion to convert it into a emals ac

salute

lol stupid paki,

first you say that india is thorn and embarrassment to the world,

and then you say world just wants to exploit india,

if india is such a embarrassment to world then the world should be ignoring india instead of wanting to exploit india,

if the world want to exploit india then shame on world not on india.

blue marlin

lol stupid paki,

first you say that india is thorn and embarrassment to the world,

and then you say world just wants to exploit india,

if india is such a embarrassment to world then the world should be ignoring india instead of wanting to exploit india,

if the world want to exploit india then shame on world not on india.
lol retarded indian. go rape a cow (not literally)

this "make in india" campaign is merely to introduce companies to india for indian demand, not for export. even dassault was hesitant, don't blame them after more than 3 years of talks. this is it's first failure secondly is its diplomatic failure the world is just starting to see how backwards india is. especially with the bjp and lets not forget shiv sena.

modi is coming over here on the 12th. the guy going to watch a football match?

also no red carpet for him,big deals only. sorry!

also because its winter here and it's cold and wet make sure you send him over with a rain coat and an umbrella will come handy too. or he can were what he usually wears

i love that hat, were did he get it from? china

a mans greatest weapon is stealth and patience.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
this "make in india" campaign is merely to introduce companies to india for indian demand, not for export.
Dear Pakistani masquerading as a briton,
You have no idea!However you coming from a nation that does not even make tie pins for export you would have no idea , hence i forgive you ignorance!
As for your statement above Hyundai,Mercedes, Alstom,Volkswagen,GM, Honda, Toyota and others would beg to differ, please note that i have focused only on the transport sector and also have not included Indian owned Auto Majors like Eicher, Enfield,Ashok Leyland, Bajaj,Hero,Maruti and TATA in the list, this was done to make the size manageable.

The company's Indian arm Hyundai Motor India ltd (HMIL) will now focus on Latin America, Middle East, Australia and Asia apart from the domestic market.
http://www.carandbike.com/news/hyundai-stops-car-exports-to-europe-from-india-634150
http://www.businessinsider.in/Make-...-exported-from-India/articleshow/47453447.cms
http://www.business-standard.com/ar...f-its-production-in-india-115032100701_1.html
http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/info_center/en/news/2015/08/Volkswagen_India.html
http://www.dnaindia.com/money/repor...f-new-jazz-from-india-to-south-africa-2088662
http://www.autox.in/news/industry-news/gm-begins-exports/
http://www.financialexpress.com/art...t-india-as-potential-base-for-exports/152012/
http://www.topgear.com/india/car-news/renault-india-begins-exporting-the-duster/itemid-50
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...amade-street-750-to-europe/article5414911.ece
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/B...yota-Kirloskar-begins-exports-from-India.html
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e-in-India-to-Europe/articleshow/48076710.cms

sabari

lol retarded indian. go rape a cow (not literally)

this "make in india" campaign is merely to introduce companies to india for indian demand, not for export. even dassault was hesitant, don't blame them after more than 3 years of talks. this is it's first failure secondly is its diplomatic failure the world is just starting to see how backwards india is. especially with the bjp and lets not forget shiv sena.

modi is coming over here on the 12th. the guy going to watch a football match?

also no red carpet for him,big deals only. sorry!

also because its winter here and it's cold and wet make sure you send him over with a rain coat and an umbrella will come handy too. or he can were what he usually wears

i love that hat, were did he get it from? china

a mans greatest weapon is stealth and patience.
We are not the stupid from bang!istan to get what ever other want to throw in junk .we will make deal on our conditions not on others conditions.
If you need example
Type 90 tank
Jf 17 blunder
Turkey junk trainers
You will even begg for Chinese to ..... You
Pakistani like to be good dog for getting meat from his masters like china ,america,sauthi Arabia,Turkey, etc
Don't forget to shake your tails in front of master

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles