Uighur man stabbed to death in south China

bhramos

Country flag
Uighur man stabbed to death in south China (Reuters)

9 January 2010 HONG KONG - A Uighur man was stabbed to death in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, a sign of lingering tensions after a factory brawl last summer sparked bloody ethnic riots in Xinjiang, a newspaper said on Saturday.

Energy-rich Xinjiang, homeland to the Muslim Uighur people and strategically located in central Asia, has been struck in recent years by bombings, attacks and riots blamed by Beijing on Uighur separatists demanding an independent “East Turkistan”. The ethnic Uighur man was attacked by a Han Chinese man in a restaurant in Shenzhen, a city close to Shaoguan in Guangdong province where a massive brawl broke out at a factory between a group of Han Chinese and Uighur workers from Xinjiang last June, the South China Morning Post reported.

The Shaoguan incident triggered serious ethnic rioting in Xinjiang’s capital Urumqi when Uighurs attacked Han Chinese, killing at least 197 people.

“I can’t say the suspect was targeting Uighurs. But this is a traumatising experience for me. We will return to Xinjiang once police finish questioning,” the Uighur owner of the Xinjiang barbeque restaurant was quoted as saying by the paper.

Seven Han Chinese men were arrested and reportedly fired from their jobs afterwards.

“The case is very sensitive, especially after the Xinjiang riots last July,” a manager of the Hongtaide Property Management Company, where the men had worked, was quoted as saying.

Police in Guangzhou recently detained three people for spreading rumours that a group of Uighurs had been beaten up.

no smoking

Country flag
Uighur man stabbed to death in south China (Reuters)

9 January 2010 HONG KONG - A Uighur man was stabbed to death in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, a sign of lingering tensions after a factory brawl last summer sparked bloody ethnic riots in Xinjiang, a newspaper said on Saturday.

Energy-rich Xinjiang, homeland to the Muslim Uighur people and strategically located in central Asia, has been struck in recent years by bombings, attacks and riots blamed by Beijing on Uighur separatists demanding an independent “East Turkistan”. The ethnic Uighur man was attacked by a Han Chinese man in a restaurant in Shenzhen, a city close to Shaoguan in Guangdong province where a massive brawl broke out at a factory between a group of Han Chinese and Uighur workers from Xinjiang last June, the South China Morning Post reported.

The Shaoguan incident triggered serious ethnic rioting in Xinjiang’s capital Urumqi when Uighurs attacked Han Chinese, killing at least 197 people.

“I can’t say the suspect was targeting Uighurs. But this is a traumatising experience for me. We will return to Xinjiang once police finish questioning,” the Uighur owner of the Xinjiang barbeque restaurant was quoted as saying by the paper.

Seven Han Chinese men were arrested and reportedly fired from their jobs afterwards.

“The case is very sensitive, especially after the Xinjiang riots last July,” a manager of the Hongtaide Property Management Company, where the men had worked, was quoted as saying.

Police in Guangzhou recently detained three people for spreading rumours that a group of Uighurs had been beaten up.

No matter who breaks the law, he or she should get punished. Neither han nor Uighur should be above the law.

no smoking

Country flag
So instead of getting prison, they get fired?
You mean this:

"Seven Han Chinese men were arrested and reportedly fired from their jobs afterwards."

Well, this is china, a developing country. The owner of this factory may fear that Uighur will take some action on the factory to express their angry and the police's help may not come in time. So, they just fire these HAN chinese man to stay away from any possible trouble.

Actually, in east of china, there is a serious problem regarding minority criminal. In order to avoid race conflict, minority criminal would get a far lighter punishment comparing han criminals. So, coming to minority criminal, people just incline to take privite punishment outside law.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
You mean this:

"Seven Han Chinese men were arrested and reportedly fired from their jobs afterwards."

Well, this is china, a developing country. The owner of this factory may fear that Uighur will take some action on the factory to express their angry and the police's help may not come in time. So, they just fire these HAN chinese man to stay away from any possible trouble.

Actually, in east of china, there is a serious problem regarding minority criminal. In order to avoid race conflict, minority criminal would get a far lighter punishment comparing han criminals. So, coming to minority criminal, people just incline to take privite punishment outside law.
Those seven Han only get fired for killing the Uigher? Or did they kill him? They get fired just for being there?

amoy

Armand, my suggestion
1) like India China is of ethnic and religious diversity. such incidents have to be dealt with cautiously within the legal framework no matter a Muslim (Uighur) or a non-Muslim was stabbed.
2) be objective - when u have doubts abt China's legitimate fairness do present proofs - I don't know what makes u question 'fair trials' in China, do u refer to a single case or the whole system? do u presume China is a lawless nation? What do u base your assumptions on ? media? or what media? or shall u see it for yourself?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Armand, my suggestion
1) like India China is of ethnic and religious diversity. such incidents have to be dealt with cautiously within the legal framework no matter a Muslim (Uighur) or a non-Muslim was stabbed.
And as per CCP custom, the show trials will commence.

2) be objective - when u have doubts abt China's legitimate fairness do present proofs - I don't know what makes u question 'fair trials' in China, do u refer to a single case or the whole system? do u presume China is a lawless nation? What do u base your assumptions on ? media? or what media? or shall u see it for yourself?
I have thousands of "proofs" from Christians being forced into labour reducation camps and pastors imprisoned for house churches in a country that is SUPPOSED to have freedom of religion.

no smoking

Country flag
Are you suggesting there are fair trials in China when civil unrest is concerned?
No, what i suggested is that Chinese police took serious action on serious crime. That is all.

Is there any information in this aticle suggesting some potential unfairness? No!
But you already started your imagination.

no smoking

Country flag
And as per CCP custom, the show trials will commence.

I have thousands of "proofs" from Christians being forced into labour reducation camps and pastors imprisoned for house churches in a country that is SUPPOSED to have freedom of religion.
But you have no "proofs" about this trial will be unfair yet. Why don't we just wait and watch, then coming back to make conclustion?

You know, just the people like you are pushing ordinary chinese to CCP's side. This kind of forcasting is spoiling other people's credibility, who is tring to bring justice and human right to china's legal system.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Hi Armand - these evidence you have , are they during the time of Mouse Dung or even today ? If today , then why not display them in a new thread just as another member exposed the UStase on our forum . Hope you will and nice hearing from you !

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles