UAVs and UCAVs

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
PARIS: Piaggio unveils Hammerhead UAV

Piaggio has launched into the unmanned air vehicle market with the unveiling of its P.1HH Hammerhead, a pilot-less intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance variant of its distinctive Avanti II twin-pusher business turboprop. The Italian manufacturer designed and built the demonstrator on show at Paris in less than a year and says the aircraft, which incorporates the Selex ES SkyISTAR mission management system, has already completed low-speed taxi tests.

The Hammerhead had its first engine start and runway taxi trial on 14 February at an Italian air force base and has now entered "the final phase of test where the aircraft systems in flight configuration will be tested at all levels", says the Genoa-based company. First flight is scheduled for "later this year". Piaggio also offers a piloted, special-mission version of the Avanti II. The company's chief executive Alberto Galassi says both aircraft support Piaggio's "newly declared vision of becoming a prominent player in the surveillance and security sector". The Hammerhead is designed to climb to 45,000ft and loiter at 135kt, with an endurance of up to 16h. Based on a certificated Mach 0.7 aircraft, the Pratt & Whitney PT6A-66B-powered Hammerhead will be the "fastest medium altitude long endurance (MALE) UAV ever designed", says Piaggio.

PARIS: Piaggio unveils Hammerhead UAV

syncro

Country flag

The HammerHead aircraft has a more aerodynamic configuration than the Avanti II, including a reinforced wing with a 15.5m (50.8ft) span, increased surface area and higher aspect ratio.

The removal of its cockpit and main cabin equipment will allow a large central internal fuel tank and avionics bay to be added, with sensors and communications installations in the nose and under-fuselage stations. A satellite communication radome is added above the fuselage, while two external hardpoints will be installed ahead of the main landing gear to carry additional ISR equipment.

The unmanned aircraft will offer an endurance of more than 16h when operating at altitudes up to 45,000 ft, and have a maximum mission payload of 1,810kg (4,000lb). The aircraft's outer wing-sections can be removed for transportation.

Cruise speed 320 kt (592 km/h), ferry range 4.400 miles (8148 km), can fly in lovering for 10.5 hours at 1.500 km from the base with the basic 250 kg suit sensors (Seaspray 7300E [Selex ES], Star SAFIRE 380-HD [FLIR Systems]).

Half of internal fuselage is free for more sensors, weapons or more tanks fuel for increase the range/endurance.

The 2 external pylons can carry officially 250 Kg each (unoficially 500 kg) so the UAV is under the 500 kg weapons limitation of MCRT (Missile Technology Control Regime) in the basic configuration.

20% of Piaggio Aereo shares are onwed by Indian Tata Motors.

Last edited:

syncro

Country flag
Italy that have the bigger Predators/Reapers fleet behind the USA plan to buy a initial stock of 10 HammerHeads for replace some of old Predators.

hamedjs11

Hi everybody .I am working on different Uav's electric generators information such as the type of generators ,part number,rectifier unit and etc .I would be happy if anyone can help?

syncro

Country flag
Hi everybody .I am working on different Uav's electric generators information such as the type of generators ,part number,rectifier unit and etc .I would be happy if anyone can help?
not sure about generators, but I think that in few time, u Irianans have probable first hand information (dropped by the sky) on numbers and types of missiles and bombs that NATO UAVs can carry...

Last edited:

hamedjs11

not sure about generators, but I think that in few time, u Irianans have probable first hand information (dropped by the sky) on numbers and types of missiles and bombs that NATO UAVs can carry...
thank you syncro.It is a project I am working on but unfortunately there is no information regarding to it on the internet or anywhere else.it is not a political case .I would appreciate it if you can help me

gadeshi

Israeli UAVs:

Belarussian UAVs (produced by Indela DB, Minsk):

Last edited by a moderator:

gadeshi

More Indela UAVs - 100km from control station!

Last edited by a moderator:

hamedjs11

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
This looked interesting.

Design How-To - A design to generate UAV electrical power in flight | EE Times
A team of engineers at Electronic Cooling Solutions worked with John Langley and engineers at Ambient Micro to build an exhaust-heat thermoelectric generator (EHTEG) that can be incorporated into a UAV design to harvest and convert this waste energy into electrical power in flight [1] (Figure 1). The engineers at Electronic Cooling Solutions did the initial EHTEG design, as well as analyzing and optimizing the thermal design. Then Langley's team built, tested, and redesigned the generator based on the test results.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles