U.S. racist slurs towards Chinese widespread

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
By Joanna Law (People's Daily Online)

Making fun of people's name is insult, and mocking one's race is racism. Anyone who does so is rude, unprofessional, and disrespectful. But some U.S. media and Americans don't seem to have this concept. They recklessly use offensive and racist remarks to target on Chinese, regardless the person is in high recognition or in trouble.

One of the incidents focuses on the news about New York City comptroller John Liu, the first Asian American running for mayor in 2013. His name has been on the headlines of many U.S. media due to the FBI's investigation on Liu's donation sources. But New York Post has deliberately smeared Liu's name by using an ethnic slur for its headline saying "The biggest Liu-ser!" It is apparent that readers immediately associated the word "Liu-ser" with loser. New York Post is making fun of Liu's last name and twisting it into a negative, offensive word targeting to Liu himself. The media used the same term again in another article about Liu, with a headline saying "John's looking more like Liu-ser everyday".

Similar incident happened to Jeremy Lin, the famous NBA basketball star. ESPN used the headline "----- in the armor" for one article on Jeremy Lin. The word "-----" is a disparaging and insulting remark referring to Chinese. It means to the stereotypical Western image of Chinese as narrow-eyed. ESPN needed to issue a formal apology, and two employees responsible for this statement were punished: one was fired, one suspended. (http://deadspin.com/5886504/fired-e...-in-the-armor-headline-not-intended-as-a-slur)

Shortly after ESPN fired the staff, Ben & Jerry issued a statement apologizing for its "Taste of Lin-sanity' flavor" yogurt that many customers found offensive. One of its stores sold a yogurt that was marketed as Taste of Lin-sanity's flavor, with lychee honey and crumbled with fortune cookies. Complaints quickly flooded the store for being stereotyped. Ben & Jerry issued a statement and apologized to customers and emphasized that the company is "proud and honored to have Jeremy Lin" hail from one of the fine universities in the States.

New York City Assemblywoman Grace Meng has also encountered racist treatment when she was dining at a restaurant chain called Boston Market in Queens, New York. According to NY Daily News, Meng said employees there repeatedly referred to her as "la China". Fluent in Spanish, Meng questioned the staff when paying for the meal. But the staff just simply shrugged. "Whether they were trying to be racist or not — it's not appropriate," Meng said. "I was the only customer in there." Meng's office confirmed to People's Daily Online USA that Boston Market has apologized.

There have been many racially insensitive incidents caused by restaurants' employees recently. An employee of Papa John, another fast-food restaurant, put "lady -----y eyes" on a customer's receipt. Two separate Chinese customers at a Texas Chick-fill-A were given a receipt by an employee with words "Ching" and "Chong" printed on them. In Georgia, an employee drew a slanted eyes on a customer's drink.

In addition, Americans' ignorance to other communities' cultures and facts has led to frequent miscommunication and backlash. Recently, a student from Kansas State University wrote a column for the Kansas State Collegian titled "Public universities should not accept students from the countries that have bad relations with U.S.". In the article, Sean Frye stated that public universities should not waste tax payers' money to provide education to foreign students from countries that will serve as the biggest enemies to the U.S., such as China.

The published article promptly caused protest among the infuriated Chinese students. The Chinese Students and Scholars Union demanded apologies from Fryer and the editor of the Collegian. While the editorial board still refuses to admit their negligence, Fryer publicly apologized to the offended community. In his written statement, Fryer pointed out his unclear arguments were caused by "the sloppiness of [his] writing", and he regretted that he had used the word "enemy" to refer to Chinese.

The fact is, previously ignorant to Fryer, that international students pay 2 1/2 more times in tuition than in-state students. Fryer was later told that "if all the international students left tomorrow, due to the financial impact they have on campus, the school would be in significant trouble".

The U.S. is a country of diversity with different ethnic groups. Chinese individuals are the second largest population of immigrant communities in the United States, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Americans should be used to living in an environment where racial prejudice is neither acceptable nor tolerable. The more they show how racist they are, the more they are dishonoring themselves and their country. Perhaps this is something that the government, the public, and the educational institutes should work harder on to educating people.

U.S. racist slurs towards Chinese widespread (2) - People's Daily Online

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
But New York Post has deliberately smeared Liu's name by using an ethnic slur for its headline saying "The biggest Liu-ser!" It is apparent that readers immediately associated the word "Liu-ser" with loser. New York Post is making fun of Liu's last name and twisting it into a negative, offensive word targeting to Liu himself.
You can find similar uses with Italian, Irish, German etc names. Why should Chinese be excluded? Every time the word racist is used as an epithet, it means less. IMHO.

Tronic

The name altering and whatnot is tolerable to a certain extent, however, they should know where to draw the line. New York Post playing around with Liu's name and stating it as Liu-ser, is quite definitely crossing those lines. I say this after taking into account the cultural differences [I have never even heard kids making fun of each other's names in India (and I reckon its the same case with all of Asia, however, this is done more commonly in America, and at times is even a form of bullying). Mocking people's names in such a way is not only immature and rude, but also very unprofessional.

pmaitra

Ok, so yes, there is racism, sometimes subtle, everywhere. What to do about that? Lie on the bed and sob? Start riots? How about sing a song and make it funny?

I really admire this Chinese gentleman, and what nice talent!

This song is pregnant with sexual innuendos! :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Is this even relevant to defence or military stuff
you might now be aware that we DO have a jokes section and other light-hearted entertainment sections and i guess member Jayram might have rather have posted it in one of those

btw does " Wan Hung Low " qualify ? i think he was a former defence official of prc(dragon) - so in that sense this post IS "defence-related "

and some people found the name "interesting" hmmmm ...... Wan Hung Low

Last edited:

G90

you might now be aware that we DO have a jokes section and other light-hearted entertainment sections and i guess member Jayram might have rather have posted it in one of those

btw does " Wan Hung Low " qualify ? i think he was a former defence official of prc(dragon) - so in that sense this post IS "defence-related "

and some people found the name "interesting" hmmmm ...... Wan Hung Low
Funny but I am sure most people come here because they are interested into military stuff instead of foregin language, if you prefer to learn the infinite knowledge of slurs, at least exchange them in private chats, thanks, my dear indian boy.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Funny but I am sure most people come here because they are interested into military stuff instead of foregin language, if you prefer to learn the infinite knowledge of slurs, at least exchange them in private chats, thanks, my dear indian boy.
"most people" are indian right ? - regarding chat - there is a chit chat section right ?

my photo looks like an indian boy ? hahaha youre really funny

and btw - that was the defence officials name - we did some interface with them years back in consulting

G90

"most people" are indian right ? - regarding chat - there is a chit chat section right ?

my photo looks like an indian boy ? hahaha youre really funny

and btw - that was the defence officials name - we did some interface with them years back in consulting
I just see you name looks like a indian one, so you are not, dont get offended by that, I am not trying to call you names, so be relax, believe me, if I want to call you names, I will make you known, thats my style you know hahaha.

If there is a chit-chat forum, then you can make a thread there, maybe by then someone else can make a contributation as well (I may even share my knowledge on racial slurs used in China with your guys here if the mod doesnt ban me for that lol), anyway, its pointless talk, Iets stop here.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I just see you name looks like a indian one, so you are not, dont get offended by that, I am not trying to call you names, so be relax, believe me, if I want to call you names, I will make you known, thats my style you know hahaha.

If there is a chit-chat forum, then you can make a thread there, maybe by then someone else can make a contributation as well (I may even share my knowledge on racial slurs used in China with your guys here if the mod doesnt ban me for that lol), anyway, its pointless talk, Iets stop here.
youre absolutely right ; (at least from my point of view ) that it should have been posted in jokes or chat thread ..which is what i suggested too - but anyway please do not take it that those were our jokes - no they were not - just reporting what others said is all

Also, i appreciate that youre being a good sport !

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles