U.S. May Allow India to Join JSF Effort

JayATL

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=5548948&c=AME&s=AIR

The United States is open to Indian participation in the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) program, and eventual purchase of its fifth generation F-35 Lightning II stealth fighter, Pentagon acquisitions Chief Ashton Carter said Jan. 26.
Pentagon acquisitions Chief Ashton Carter said there is "no principle" that would prohibit India from participating in the JSF program. (Senior Aiman Julianne Showalter / U.S. Air Force)

"There is nothing on our side, no principle which bars that on our side, Indian participation in the Joint Strike Fighter. Right now, they're focused on these aircraft which are top-of-the-line fourth-gen fighters," Carter said.

However, the decision to pursue the F-35 is India's alone.

In a follow-up email, Pentagon spokeswoman Cheryl Irwin said, "If, at some point down the road, India were interested in purchasing JSF from us, then we would engage the Indians in an open, transparent manner at that time. But this would obviously be something that the Indian government would have to decide it wanted or needed."

Carter was speaking at the release of a report by the Carnegie Endowment's Ashley Tellis on India's Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) program. The Indian contract calls for the purchase of 126 fighters and is valued at more than $10 billion, Carter said. Competitors include the Lockheed Martin F-16IN Super Viper, Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, Eurofighter Typhoon, Dassault Rafale, Saab JAS-39 Gripen and the Mikoyan MiG-35.

Carter touted the American-built F-16 and F/A-18 as being the most technologically advanced aircraft in the competition.

"I think that, without saying anything disparaging about the other entrants, both F/A-18 and the F-16 offers include the best technology," he said.

Tellis echoed Carter's comments, saying the two U.S. competitors offered the best capability for the lowest price. Of particular interest to India are the American fighters' Active Electronically Scanned Array radars (AESA), he said. The European and Russian aircraft do not currently have operational AESA radars available. The U.S. military, meanwhile, is currently operating its second generation of AESA radars.

The most important factors in any Indian decision will likely be technology transfer and industrial participation, Carter said. Carter also stressed the importance of lifecycle costs because 70 percent of a weapon's total cost resides in not in the initial purchase price, but rather in sustainment. According to Tellis, both the F-16 and F/A-18 offer the lowest lifecycle costs out of the aircraft on offer.

Carter also stressed the importance of transparency.

"I'm committed to in our process, both with respect to India and in our own internal processes, an open and transparent process, and I think we can promise the Indian government that," he said.

Last edited:

JayATL

good stuff , and India should join. It does not obligate to buy anything but gives access to purchasing such deals , perhaps future iterations too. there is no downside to this...I think some talk existed around F 35 aircraft for the navy in the past?

Last edited:
Country flag
good stuff , and India should join. It does not obligate to buy anything but gives access to purchasing such deals , perhaps future iterations too. there is no downside to this...I think some talk existed around F 35 aircraft for the navy in the past?
This should come without preconditions about our MRCA selection

JayATL

I think the language used in the article by them is pretty crystal clear about their intention, yeah?. besides, what kind of precondition do you foresee to the selection process ( not the actual terms on the aircraft)?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Ofcourse it'll come with not just MRCA but also other potential deals at bargain. Question is how much Indian establishment can deepen the agenda. Slowly but surely US will bring more & more convincing deals to Indian shores. Lifting ISRO, DRDO from black list is also seen as part of that plan.

In the meantime, I see Indian Defense sector lobby getting strong. More & more Pvt players will jump in bidding partnering with US firms. Also it'll be interesting to see if MMS will replace Antony or not. Much more power (financial/functional) is granted to DefMin now than ever before but an aggressive Minster with specific motives should be leading the office.

JayATL

whats wrong with Anthony , has he not presided over the largest jump in defense budget. as a defense minister has he not pushed for more home grown indigenous investments? has he not got India to table to where US has even unlocked the ban on access to some the most important technology providers list?

I know don't the guy honestly- I'm just looking in from the outside with no bias in either direction. It just seems that India and its defense dept have got the world's attention and more so multi national agreements like never before.

warriorextreme

Country flag
first make JSF a 5th gen fighter in range of f-22 and pak-fa then we will see :p

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I wish India never joins this program, because when US is acting so nosy to Britain on sharing the source codes, imagine how much restrictions they will try to put on us. Better to stay away from this effort, any way we are investing on FGFA, time to start work on AMCA.

Reactions: sky

JayATL

I wish India never joins this program, because when US is acting so nosy to Britain on sharing the source codes, imagine how much restrictions they will try to put on us. Better to stay away from this effort, any way we are investing on FGFA, time to start work on AMCA.
LOL, its always zero sum game with some. All or nothing... What if any other countries had the same attitude towards India ( all or nothing) ALA a kind of pre open market mentality

forget the fact if you join , it does not mean you have to purchase anything_ if it does not fit India's terms. But if you don't join, then you have no access or chance to buy. You could not ask for more helpful US , like their attitude today. They supply and have opened opportunities for India even more than what they offered, at their highest point in that relationship (best times) w/ Pakistan . slowly they are removing every barrier short of calling you a NATO ally.

yeah so they block somethings, because they rather India buys it from them or they don't like the terms. That's freaking business , looking for out themselves one O one. every country does it.

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
LOL, its always zero sum game with some. All or nothing... What if any other countries had the same attitude towards India ( all or nothing) ALA a kind of pre open market mentality
So what? It's there problem to have that mentality, if they are unwilling to share, we will develop it.

forget the fact if you join , it does not mean you have to purchase anything_ if it does not fit India's terms. But if you don't join, then you have no access or chance to buy. You could not ask for more helpful US , like their attitude today. They supply and open opportunities for India even more than what they at their closest/ highest point in that relationship (best times) . slowly they are removing every barrier short of calling you a NATO ally.
So if you don't pur money in that pit, you can not buy it? This is new, or putting money in it's development is a precondition to be helpful?

yeah so they block somethings, because they rather India buys it from them or they don't like the terms. That's freaking business , looking for out themselves one O one. every country does it.
Well, when it is known that the terms are making uncomfortable there closest of allies then what's the point in putting money there.

Oracle

Guys, even if we go for a joint development of the F-35 with billions of dollars from our coffers, we would get a stripped version of the bird and OR with restrictions of where to use, against whom to use. US is not at all reliable, who knows when it puts another sanction on us again, for matters a tiny as pounding their sister state with some of our missiles. Again, too many cooks spoil the broth! We already have the FGFA, and we should not look for another 5G. It's again a logistical nightmare. US needs money now to keep it's defense industry afloat, we should not return the favor for gimmicks.

Parthy

Air Warrior
I think, US is in desperate need of financial support for JSF.. If they're giving an open invitation for such a venture, the only reason will be the group countries for JSF has started to withdraw their support and even the order numbers reduced by the close allies (UK, Aus... ) ..

Nw the defence industry has identified India as a potential market and they're seeing in long run that only weapon sales is not going to sustain their market in India.. India is expecting a bit more and we're more concerned about the TOT and other techs... Now they're playing clever.. Am happy that such a venture will help us to know the technology but am damn sure that again they'll push CIMOA kinda craps and will prohibit critical techs as they did for C130... Things with US will not work that easily, we should be very careful with them.. Remember, "They're not our allies, its just Strategic Interest of US which changes very frequently"

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I am beginning to think the most neutral country in the world is India!! :)

We are both allies with the West and very close with Russians, we also enjoy a decent relation with the Arabs and trying to mend relations with China. I think the so called fake neutral country Sweden should be replaced with India. Surely we do a better balancing act than the Swedes.

I think this project would be awesome if we join it, we can learn a lot in terms of cooperation if not in technology!

Minghegy

Paste the news:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=5548948&c=AIR&s=TOP

By DAVE MAJUMDAR
Published: 26 Jan 2011 16:33

The United States is open to Indian participation in the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) program, and eventual purchase of its fifth generation F-35 Lightning II stealth fighter, Pentagon acquisitions Chief Ashton Carter said Jan. 26.

"There is nothing on our side, no principle which bars that on our side, Indian participation in the Joint Strike Fighter. Right now, they're focused on these aircraft which are top-of-the-line fourth-gen fighters," Carter said.

However, the decision to pursue the F-35 is India's alone.

In a follow-up email, Pentagon spokeswoman Cheryl Irwin said, "If, at some point down the road, India were interested in purchasing JSF from us, then we would engage the Indians in an open, transparent manner at that time. But this would obviously be something that the Indian government would have to decide it wanted or needed."

Carter was speaking at the release of a report by the Carnegie Endowment's Ashley Tellis on India's Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) program. The Indian contract calls for the purchase of 126 fighters and is valued at more than $10 billion, Carter said. Competitors include the Lockheed Martin F-16IN Super Viper, Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, Eurofighter Typhoon, Dassault Rafale, Saab JAS-39 Gripen and the Mikoyan MiG-35.

Carter touted the American-built F-16 and F/A-18 as being the most technologically advanced aircraft in the competition.

"I think that, without saying anything disparaging about the other entrants, both F/A-18 and the F-16 offers include the best technology," he said.

Tellis echoed Carter's comments, saying the two U.S. competitors offered the best capability for the lowest price. Of particular interest to India are the American fighters' Active Electronically Scanned Array radars (AESA), he said. The European and Russian aircraft do not currently have operational AESA radars available. The U.S. military, meanwhile, is currently operating its second generation of AESA radars.

The most important factors in any Indian decision will likely be technology transfer and industrial participation, Carter said. Carter also stressed the importance of lifecycle costs because 70 percent of a weapon's total cost resides in not in the initial purchase price, but rather in sustainment. According to Tellis, both the F-16 and F/A-18 offer the lowest lifecycle costs out of the aircraft on offer.

Carter also stressed the importance of transparency.

"I'm committed to in our process, both with respect to India and in our own internal processes, an open and transparent process, and I think we can promise the Indian government that," he said.

Last edited:

black eagle

Country flag
Don't think India will be in anyway interested in participating....

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I hope we decline....dont want inferior plane to pak-fa and i think this is even more expensive.

black eagle

Country flag
I agree, join another 5G fighter is a waste.
Exactly.. with the developments of MMRCA, LCA, AMCA, PAK-FA, India already have its hands full & anyway the JSF project is riddled with controversies. there are serious questions about the capability of the JSF that still needs to be answered.. Joining it is fraught with great risks both financially & also politically...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles