U.N. warns India against anti-Muslim prejudice

Rage

DFI TEAM
U.N. warns India against anti-Muslim prejudice

Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:46pm IST

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The U.N. human rights chief urged India on Monday to counter suspicion against its Muslim minority following the Mumbai attacks and warned the country's strict anti-terror measures threatened human rights.

India is still on edge after gunmen killed 166 people in a three-day rampage on the financial hub last November.

Hundreds of Muslims were detained and questioned over the attacks, angering rights activists who said innocent people were caught up in the backlash.

"The horrific terrorist attack in Mumbai has also polarized society and risks stoking suspicions against the Muslim community," said U.N Human Rights chief Navanethem Pillay.

"Both internal and external terrorist threats have led to counter-terrorist measures that put human rights at risk," Pillay said in New Delhi during her India visit.

Religious and caste-based prejudices remain entrenched in Indian society, she said.

Secular India has a long history of tensions between its majority Hindus and minority Muslims that have exploded in deadly violence. More than 2,000 people, mainly Muslims, were killed in communal riots in Gujarat state in 2002.

After the Mumbai attacks, the government rushed through new laws in December to allow police to hold suspects for up to 180 days without charge and created a new FBI-style national police force, in what was seen as an attempt to soothe public anger.

But human rights experts at the time said India's main political parties ignored concerns the new legislation could be misused in the absence of an independent supervisory body to monitor its implementation.

Pillay also questioned India's human rights record in the troubled state of Jammu and Kashmir, where security forces have been battling a 20-year separatist insurgency that has killed more than 47,000 people.

Pillay said security forces have excessive emergency powers under the Armed Forces Special Powers Act, a law which lets them fire at civilians breaking laws in "disturbed" areas and make arrests without a warrant.

"In the past two decades, hundreds of cases of disappearances have been reported in Kashmir," Pillay said. "These cases must be properly investigated in order to bring a sense of closure to the families who for far too long have been awaiting news, any news."

http://in.reuters.com/article/topNe...me=topNews&pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
What an appalling set of Buffoons in the UN !!! I'll bet they're going around smoking Marijuana there...

We treat our minorities better than any other country... look at the right that they've got here...

Country flag
the UN is a joke and this article is pure garbage. How about the millions of muslims USA has killed in Iraq and Afghanistan UN has said nothing about that, these type of articles are based on the divide and rule theory employed by colonial powers.

EnlightenedMonk

I have no words...

I'm speechless...

I'm flabbergasted...

I'm shocked to the extent of disgust !!!

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
What an appalling set of Buffoons in the UN !!! I'll bet they're going around smoking Marijuana there...

We treat our minorities better than any other country... look at the right that they've got here...
such things used to happen when bjp was ruling as the congress sympathizers used to use such international platforms to further the cause of the opposition which then was led by congress but not it is happening with congress in the center, well what a snub to ruling elite!

EnlightenedMonk

such things used to happen when bjp was ruling as the congress sympathizers used to use such international platforms to further the cause of the opposition which then was led by congress but not it is happening with congress in the center, well what a snub to ruling elite!
Good observation that...

Country flag
UN/UK has also been trying to start trouble with the Kashmir issue, these guys are nothing but troublemakers who have started many more wars then they ever prevented.

EnlightenedMonk

UN/UK has also been trying to start trouble with the Kashmir issue, these guys are nothing but troublemakers who have started many more wars then they ever prevented.
Yep, that little Baby-faced Foreign minister of theirs came here and shot his mouth off... even the a section of the press in the UK criticised him for doing that.... but later I think he gave an apology for that... I'll try to find a link and give it...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Do you have any instance when something like that?

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Do you have any instance when something like that?
oh yes a lot of times it happened and not specific to godhra though one would have to search all this and some thing i am bad at, though if searched properly can be found. :)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The UN guy has gone nuts. What is he talking about?
The biggest prejudice is in the west. Why has France banned turbans?
Why is anyone with a long beard or a Muslim sounding name subjected to special checks in the US?
What the helll does he know about Muslims in India?
India should lodge a protest against this uncalled for statement by the official

EnlightenedMonk

The UN guy has gone nuts. What is he talking about?
The biggest prejudice is in the west. Why has France banned turbans?
Why is anyone with a long beard or a Muslim sounding name subjected to special checks in the US?
What the helll does he know about Muslims in India?
India should lodge a protest against this uncalled for statement by the official
I agree with you totally... you are a muslim yourself I presume...

I know that in India there may be prejudice in certain places, but by and large, its much better than the West...

They ought to clean their own house out before lecturing us...

Country flag
the western powers are the biggest hypocrites and they always have been.
the whole war on terror premise was in reality a war on muslims.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I agree with you totally... you are a muslim yourself I presume...

I know that in India there may be prejudice in certain places, but by and large, its much better than the West...

They ought to clean their own house out before lecturing us...
Yes I am a Muslim proud at that and even more proud of being an Indian.
The politicians helped by the news hungry media creates more feeling of division and hatred.
I hehe never felt insecure in this country. Just that one side of the political spectrum wants to create that insecurity and the uses that to further instill it in the psyche of the people to further it's own gains

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles