Two engineering students held with pistol in Tamil Nadu

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Two engineering students held with pistol - The Times of India

CHENNAI: Police have arrested two engineering students, natives of Bihar, for threatening a 19-year-old cook at gunpoint and assaulting him. Police seized a country-made pistol and four bullets from the students' rented house in Neelankarai.

Ranjith Kumar, the cook from Vaishali in Bihar, told the city police that his former employer V Pratyush Pandey, 20, a student of an engineering college in the suburbs, threatened to shoot him last Saturday.

Ranjith, who filed a complaint on Wednesday, said he had worked as a cook for Pandey before deputing his brother Surjith Kumar for the job. When Pandey did not pay Surjith his salary of 1,200, Ranjith had gone to ask for the money.

Ranjith told police that he was beaten up by Pandey, a second year BTech student, and his friend R Sekar Anand, 21, a third year student of the same college. Based on Ranjith's complaint, police registered a case and arrested the two students on Thursday. During interrogation, the duo confessed that they have a pistol and some ammunition.

"They said their parents are involved in some contract business in Bihar, and since they had enemies they had to keep the gun," said joint commissioner of police K P Shanmuga Rajeswaran.

The police officer said Pandey gave conflicting versions on how he got the gun. "First he said he bought it from Bihar. Later he said it was left behind at his house by a friend called Shailesh Yadav," Shanmuga Rajeswaran said.

Investigations found that Shailesh Yadav used to bring prospective students from Bihar to engineering colleges around Chennai for a commission. He had visited Pandey in November and stayed there for a fortnight.

"Pandey said his friend disappeared one day with his laptop and that he later found a gun hidden behind his books," the officer said. "We are verifying the claims. We have passed on the photograph of the person said to be Shailesh Yadav, to a Tamil Nadu police team now camping in Bihar." The arrested students were produced before a magistrate court in Alandur and remanded in judicial custody.

The complainant in the case, Ranjith, said he earlier worked for the students as a cook, and later got his brother Surjith to work for them. As they owed Surjith 1,200, Ranjith spoke to one of their friends, Sudhir Singh, who asked him to go to the house. When he went there on Saturday, Pandey was on the terrace with Anand, Sudhir and another friend, Rahul Kumar.

"They beat me up," police quoted Ranjith as saying. "Pandey then took out a gun from his trouser pocket and threatened to shoot me."

Neelankarai police have registered a case under Sections 341, 324 and 506(II) of IPC and Section 25 of the Indian Arms Act. The four students were picked up and grilled, but only two were arrested.

The joint commissioner said the police would send a notice to the house owner for not submitting details of the tenants, as directed by the police commissioner recently.
This is the reason Indians should not be allowed to carry guns. I mean seriously, threaten a cook with a gun? And gun culture of one state will have ripple effects on the other.

There is a reason monkeys are kept out of the reach of Guns:laugh::rofl:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Read title and I knew it should be someone from Bihar. It was very common during my college days in all engineering and medical hostels. It was worse before that I believe.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Bihar buddies...TN police are a bit trigger happy. Be careful.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Bihar buddies...TN police are a bit trigger happy. Be careful.
Read title and I knew it should be someone from Bihar. It was very common during my college days in all engineering and medical hostels. It was worse before that I believe.
What i meant is not Bihar per se, But India as whole. Guns raj of one state will have trickle effect on all states:sad:. So Govt should restrict the supply and use:)heh:) of Guns by ordinary civilians. As i said we dont trust Guns with monkeys now do we?:heh:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Bihar and UP have gun culture, hope police puts them in place

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Gun culture is quite prevalent in the north esp states like Punjab, Harayana, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh. Bihar and UP have gangster / criminal culture.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Gun culture is quite prevalent in the north esp states like Punjab, Harayana, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh. Bihar and UP have gangster / criminal culture.
:cool2: :cool2:

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
Most of north have same problem even delhi, ya bro as you said hope police must take action even encounter them before their sell gun and that takes away a innocent life.

Edit: Hoops did not see Sing has already quoted same.

Last edited:

Spindrift

This is the reason Indians should not be allowed to carry guns. I mean seriously, threaten a cook with a gun? And gun culture of one state will have ripple effects on the other.

see: Lockup deaths equal conflict toll - Times Of India

The figures in the above article translate into 4.33 citizens dying in custody per day! These figures do not include extra-judicial police killings aka "encounter killings". So even if we discount encounter killings and assume that all such custodial deaths were reported accurately, it basically means that you are 2.5 times more likely to be knocked off by the cops (in custody) than by a licensed gun owner!

should we get rid of the police?

Gentlemen,

You all need to realize that the gun here is not the problem. The problem here is ease of availability of illegal firearms to criminals while it is next to impossible for a law abiding citizen to get a license for firearms even though the right to keep and bear arms is recognized as a fundamental right in articles 19 and 21 of the Indian constitution. Here is an example of a licensed firearm owner using his gun in a responsible manner to defend himself.

Guard fires at snatchers, helps police nab them - Times Of India

The other point to note here while our neighbors are busy arming the extremists and separatists elements within our nation to the teeth our government and officials are busy disarming the law abiding citizens...

peacecracker

want to talk about gun ownership in south India. :namaste:
I think, gun culture is very less in south India especially Tamilnadu.

owning a gun is almost impossible in Kereala in recent Years due to strict policy of state government.

Coorg region and Kerela may be exception. still, illegal guns are not seen or neither any "markets" exists like in eastern states. Police are proactive and gunsmiths will be in trouble if the arms are caught.
Most of the Gun Licenses were cancelled in Kerela. before, it was used as a "ornament"/"Proud posession".
guns were common atleast in Travancore region of Kerela before Independence time. today, illegal gun making exists in Kottayam,Malabar and Highranges(Idukki). I believe, a LOT of people still carries illegal country made Rifles,Pistols and the likes. some gunsmiths are "coveted" for their skills by these illegal gun owners.

Last edited:

lemontree

Professional
Two engineering students held with pistol - The Times of India

Just because to two teenage idiots, you lump the whole Indian population as a bunch of irresponsible people!!!

It is because of idiots like them, you and me need to own guns. But our govt will not let us.

Tolaha

The figures in the above article translate into 4.33 citizens dying in custody per day! These figures do not include extra-judicial police killings aka "encounter killings". So even if we discount encounter killings and assume that all such custodial deaths were reported accurately, it basically means that you are 2.5 times more likely to be knocked off by the cops (in custody) than by a licensed gun owner!

should we get rid of the police?

Gentlemen,

You all need to realize that the gun here is not the problem. The problem here is ease of availability of illegal firearms to criminals while it is next to impossible for a law abiding citizen to get a license for firearms even though the right to keep and bear arms is recognized as a fundamental right in articles 19 and 21 of the Indian constitution.
want to talk about gun ownership in south India. :namaste:
I think, gun culture is very less in south India especially Tamilnadu.

owning a gun is almost impossible in Kereala in recent Years due to strict policy of state government.

Coorg region and Kerela may be exception. still, illegal guns are not seen or neither any "markets" exists like in eastern states.
Just adding to these above points...

Coorgis(Kodavas) dont need a license to hold a gun. Meaning, anyone who is a Kodava can lawfully possess a gun. Nowadays, Kodavas and guns are more of a cultural thing than defensive weapon. So while they all possess firearms, crime rate in that region is extremely low. This is for those who believe that possession of firearms by itself can lead to increase in crime.

Old saying: When a Kodava dies, his soul rests in his gun.

Adux

Country flag
It is my right to defend myself to save my own life and my dear one's against serious and imminent danger. A Gun is my protector. Can the Government ensure the complete annihilation of criminals, can they stop illegal gun trade. No they cant. As long as both criminals and illegal guns exist, it is my right to own a gun and protect my family and my property.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Just because to two teenage idiots, you lump the whole Indian population as a bunch of irresponsible people!!!

It is because of idiots like them, you and me need to own guns. But our govt will not let us.
If no one is given guns, we wont need Guns:wave: Same logic as yours:bounce:

And please dont underestimate the Indians- Recent UP election stands as a Testimony for my Statement:namaste:

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
It is my right to defend myself to save my own life and my dear one's against serious and imminent danger. A Gun is my protector. Can the Government ensure the complete annihilation of criminals, can they stop illegal gun trade. No they cant. As long as both criminals and illegal guns exist, it is my right to own a gun and protect my family and my property.
Also the Indian govt cant tell the differance between a first degree murder and a death from self defence. Our Criminal labs are under equipped and and awefully unmanned(now even thats the understatement of the year:sad:). Your self defence kill may be taken as a First degree murder and your opponents kill may be taken as a third degree murder.

So instead of controlling/policing a whole bunch of Monkeys with Guns, we can try to control the illegal guns trade. Thats much easier.

And for that you need a strong benevolent govt and which of course is in the Hands of the Non monkey populace of India:wave:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
If no one is given guns, we wont need Guns Same logic as yours
Hardly, criminals procure firearms illicitly not by applying for licence.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Hardly, criminals procure firearms illicitly not by applying for licence.
Read my next post fully. I said instead of trying to police everyone owning a gun, try to control the illicit arms production, dealing and stuff. Thats much easier. And as a testimony for my stand i will bring the problems the gun culture has brought to US

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We all know how capable our police and forensic departments are compared to US:wave:

Iamanidiot

Police in South India are trigger friendly and these guys have the nerve to bring kattars in TN.Iam suprised why they haven't been bumped yet.I think their age is the thing that saved them

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles