Turkish F-16"²s IFF no longer reports Israeli fighters as friendly

Neil

Country flag

Israel stuck to its policy of restraint on Tuesday despite continued threats from Turkey that it will attack the IDF and amid concern that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's trip to Egypt is aimed at establishing a permanent Turkish naval presence in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Erdogan visited Egypt on Tuesday for talks with the transitional government as part of a bid to solidify Turkey's standing in the Arab world. The visit came as media in Turkey reported that its defense industry has developed a new identification system for its F-16 fighter jets that will allow it to attack Israeli planes.

The previous US system installed in the plane had automatically classified all Israeli planes as "friend," preventing attacks against them. The new system will allow Turkey to determine whether or not a target should be considered as a "friend" or a "foe."

Interestingly, before Turkey's decision to cut off ties with Israel, the Turkish Air Force had been in talks with an Israeli defense contractor about a possible $100 million deal to upgrade its F-16 fighter jets.

The report on the fighter jet identification system was the latest in a series of threats coming out of Ankara, and followed a report on Monday that Turkey was sending three frigates to the Eastern Mediterranean to protect aid ships trying to break the Israeli-imposed sea blockade on the Gaza Strip.

In an effort to prevent a further deterioration in ties, Israeli government officials declined to comment specifically on the various reports originating in Ankara and said Tuesday that Israel was growing concerned with the threats.

Particular concern was voiced regarding Erdogan's visit to Tuesday, which is being viewed as an effort by the Turkish leader to establish himself as the new leader of the Arab world following the downfall of Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak earlier this year.

"Erdogan is taking advantage of the instability and ongoing upheaval in the Arab world to solidify Turkey's standing and influence," one official said, adding that Israel was particularly concerned with the possibility that Turkey would follow through with its threat and deploy navy vessels in the Eastern Mediterranean, possibly even based in Egypt.

Turkish F-16′s IFF no longer reports Israeli fighters as friendly | idrw.org

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Things are heating up in ME. Erdogan is making a mistake by antagonizing the Israelis though.

Country flag
This must be the Turkish reaction to the new Greek-Israeli alliance. This puts USA/NATO in a uncomfortable spot.

Neil

Country flag
This must be the Turkish reaction to the new Greek-Israeli alliance. This puts USA/NATO in a uncomfortable spot.
wasnt israel- greek pact the result of turkey expelling israeli envoy and being very friendly to all israeli haters i.e. from hamas to iran..??

Phenom

@fang
Turkey and Greece are like India and Pakistan

Greek–Turkish relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May be Erodgan is playing a larger game, Turkish Military is fiercely secular and Erodgan and his party are Islamists, The military never seemed to like Erodgan's government, may be he is trying to kill two birds with one stone. By stirring up hostility against the Israelis he would be able to stir up the Islamic feeling in Turkey but also keep the military in check, since they would be focused on Israel.

JayATL

This Turkish PM has effectively kissed turkey's request to be a part of EU good bye. He has taken his once secular country and of moderate muslims into another 'soon to emulate' Iran like cartoonish country

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I have already predicted this, Arab spring means is very bad for the Kafirs(non-believers) if democracy comes to Middle east, we should have left the dictators divide and rule them and sell their oil, Democracy now will only mean they will elect the one who shouts and hates Israel the most, just like one of the main qualification for the Pakistani PM is to hate India. Saddam, Mubarak and even Kdafi at his later years where all secular not to mention the Turkish Army which was the upholder of secular Atta Turks ideology had a major reshuffle recently and the head of Turkish Army was dismissed. It is the people that are anti-secular, we are yet to see real antisemitism take force now.

Israel should brace itself there is a Storm comeing.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Ever since the fall of Ottoman empire a question has lingered, how long Turkey will portray itself as a muslim majority secular nation? Seems like time has finally came.

Neil

Country flag
its time for uncle sam to poke his nose...would love to see sanctions for unauthorized modification to f16 without american approval...

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
They are doing whats best for them. They're not idiots like our GoI who sit and do nothing.

Since europe wont take them they're jumping ship to middle east...they'd be fools to remain alone in the middle.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
although strictly speaking india is not right at the medit sea shore - never theless close to the region - emphasizes the fact that the usa needs a reliable friend now that turk seems drifting out of the centre of the usa-nato camp to the peripherals

all the more reason for the usa to develop closer ties with india

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Sabre-rattling. Turkey is threatening its EU membership campaign, Nato support, progress, and its secular agenda if it continues on the same path.

sandeepdg

None of the EU members anyway have ever liked Turkey being a EU member, since they weren't sure that Turkey will continue to hold its secular credentials for long. Their fears seems to be coming true now. And even Turkey knows that EU never accepted it whole heartedly, hence they felt the need to fall back on the Arab world.

With the way things are going in Mid East, I expect to see some spark fly sooner or later between the Turks and Israelis !

Neil

Country flag
Since europe wont take them they're jumping ship to middle east...they'd be fools to remain alone in the middle.
well ME is no anti american....half of ME is on the side of US...and those arent are pariah state..that even ME hates...

the real question is now f35...will US ever give such a state of the art plane to a country that has ties with people that hate US...??if they dont f35 prices are going right into space...and if they will its going right to iran syria etc etc...

Country flag
well ME is no anti american....half of ME is on the side of US...and those arent are pariah state..that even ME hates...

the real question is now f35...will US ever give such a state of the art plane to a country that has ties with people that hate US...??if they dont f35 prices are going right into space...and if they will its going right to iran syria etc etc...
U.S.-Turkey F-35 deal stalled - UPI.com

U.S.-Turkey F-35 deal stalled

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles