- Oct 16, 2010
So far 10 killed and counting ....
Istanbul: An explosion in the heart of Istanbul's historic Sultanahmet tourist district killed at least 10 people and wounded 15 on Tuesday and some local media reports said a suicide bomber may have been responsible
Foreign tourists from Germany and Norway were among those wounded, Turkey's CNN Turk television said.
An official from one tour company who declined to be identified told Reuters that a tourist group from Germany was in the area at the time of the blast, but it was unclear whether any of them had been hurt/
Turkey's AHaber television said the blast may have been caused by a suicide bomber but this was not independently confirmed.
Regards,"Ambulances started rushing in and I knew it was a bomb right away because the same thing happened here last year," said Ali Ibrahim Peltek, 40, who operates a kiosk selling snacks and drinks on the square.
"This is not good for Turkey but everyone was expecting a terrorist attack," he said.
Mr Davutoglu's office imposed a broadcasting ban on the blast, invoking a law which allows for such steps when there is the potential for serious harm to national security or public order.