Trump rant against India casts shadow on PM Modi visit to US

cyclops

Country flag
Trump rant against India casts shadow on PM Modi visit to US
Chidanand Rajghatta | TNN | Updated: Jun 2, 2017, 04.04 PM IST
TNN
HIGHLIGHTS
  • Trump accused India of demanding billions to participate in climate deal.
  • Trump's shrill speech has cast a shadow on PM Modi's expected visit to US later this month.
  • Dates for the PM's trip have not been formally or officially announced yet.
WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump unloaded on India among other countries during an epic rant on Thursday while announcing American withdrawal from the Paris climate change accord .

The shrill speech, replete with claims of American victimhood at the hands of the rest of the world, casts a chill on Prime Minister Narendra Modi's expected visit to the White House later this month.

Phone and cables lines between Washington and New Delhi were buzzing on Thursday evening (Friday am in India) as Indian officials and diplomats took stock of Trump's direct, no-holds-barred attack in which he accused New Delhi of trying to extract "billions and billions and billions" of dollars in foreign aid from the developed world to sign up for the climate accord .

Although dates for the Prime Minister's trip have not been formally or officially announced, the White House has penciled in June 26-27 for the first face-to-face meeting between Trump and Modi . That expected meeting, if it comes through, will now take place under a cloud of misgivings, including the Trump administration's crackdown of guest worker visas that is adversely affecting Indian businesses, its squeeze on US manufacturing abroad that is forcing a scaling down of US investment in India, and now its withdrawal from the climate change accord after previous administrations dragged New Delhi kicking and screaming into it.

Although no one is talking of canceling the visit yet, Trump's harsh critiques have cooled the expected ardor between Washington and New Delhi that a small constituency of Trump bhakts in both countries had anticipated and forecast.

Trump repeatedly raged against India, China, and rest of the world on Thursday, casting the US as a victim of global machinations.

"India makes its participation contingent on receiving billions and billions and billions of dollars in foreign aid from developed countries," he fumed in a 27-minute, 3000-word tirade in the White House Rose Garden while declaring that the "bottom line is that the Paris Accord is very unfair, at the highest level, to the United States."

No other developed country has made that allegation, and in fact, the US stands isolated even in the developed world following its withdrawal.

The US President then went on to claim that India will be allowed to double its coal production by 2020 and China will be allowed to build hundreds of additional coal plants, but the US can't under the Paris agreement.

"Think of it: India can double their coal production. We're supposed to get rid of ours," the US President fumed, arguing that "compliance with the terms of the Paris Accord and the onerous energy restrictions it has placed on the US could cost America as much as 2.7 million lost jobs by 2025" - figures that are contested even within the US.

"In short, the agreement doesn't eliminate coal jobs, it just transfers those jobs out of America and ships them to foreign countries," Trump maintained in remarks that did not once refer to the fact that the United States has historically been the world's biggest polluter with the largest carbon footprint in the global community, and the rest of the world, and the US itself, has had to pay for American profligacy and addiction to hydro-carbons.

Trump's claim that India was seeking "billions and billions and billions" was also typical of the hyperbolic falsehoods he is often indulges in. Total foreign aid to India in 2015 was only $3.1 billion, with US aid to India only around $100 million. This is being whittled down to $34 million in 2018, pocket change for one of India's unicorns.
Compared to the peanuts in US aid (which New Delhi prefers is completely stopped), India buys $100 million worth of California almonds alone every year, besides billions in armaments. India also receives many times more in foreign investment and remittances than foreign aid.

But expanding on the victimhood thesis, Trump argued that the Paris Accord "is less about the climate and more about other countries gaining a financial advantage over the United States."

"A cynic would say the obvious reason for economic competitors and their wish to see us remain in the agreement is so that we continue to suffer this self-inflicted major economic wound," the US President said, claiming the Paris deal "hamstrings the United States, while empowering some of the world's top polluting countries," and it should "dispel any doubt as to the real reason why foreign lobbyists wish to keep our magnificent country tied up and bound down by this agreement: It's to give their country an economic edge over the United States."

"That's not going to happen while I'm President. I'm sorry," he added.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-pm-modi-visit-to-us/articleshow/58955112.cms

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
we dont really need that clown who has internationally made a fool of himself

pm's office should ask for clarification all points and if the mood is unsuitable should at the very least delay the trip or if the mood is hostile then have the guts to cancel ll

i want to see if Modi will go there with dignity or grovelling !!

SanjeevM

Country flag
Modi and his foreign policy advisors are smart. I believe, they will take the right decision whether he would go to the US or not and topics should be raised during the meeting. I remember Trump had a lot of bad mouth for Chinese president. The Chinese embassy made sure Trump doesn't create any awkward situation for Chinese president. They had threatened through proper channels that if their president is not respected, it would have financial consequences for the U.S. China holds a large value of the treasury bonds of the U.S. U.S. owes large debt to the Chinese. What if Chinese pull the plug and sell all those treasury bonds in the open market at a huge loss? U.S. market would crumble. You would have noticed Trump was in uncomfortable positions when seen with Chinese president. Later for press conference they brought issue of China helping U.S. on north Korea. Not much was said about China a currency manipulator or about huge trade surplus.

Does India has that kind of financial muscles?

German, French all are disturbed after meeting Trump.

So whatever Modi decide, I believe his team would have done homework.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Modi and his foreign policy advisors are smart. I believe, they will take the right decision whether he would go to the US or not and topics should be raised during the meeting. I remember Trump had a lot of bad mouth for Chinese president. The Chinese embassy made sure Trump doesn't create any awkward situation for Chinese president. They had threatened through proper channels that if their president is not respected, it would have financial consequences for the U.S. China holds a large value of the treasury bonds of the U.S. U.S. owes large debt to the Chinese. What if Chinese pull the plug and sell all those treasury bonds in the open market at a huge loss? U.S. market would crumble. You would have noticed Trump was in uncomfortable positions when seen with Chinese president. Later for press conference they brought issue of China helping U.S. on north Korea. Not much was said about China a currency manipulator or about huge trade surplus.

FYI, Chinese sold 50 billion USD worth American treasury bonds per week for three weeks prior to trump-Xi meeting.

I read this in some article, might be difficult to find that again.

SanjeevM

Country flag
That might be starters. Chinese would have threatened U.S. with the main course.

We don't have that kind of muscle power.

raja696

From start of the climate deal chinese used India against usa to delay the deal in congress rule. Now when India agreed chinese made usa give up climate deal.
Now china is free to continue what its doing by polluting world.

Final benefactors are chinese win - win , such a cunning country.

Good news is Russians en Indians reaffirms cooperation, which tells another story that both understand hand (usa) in glove (china) vis a vis nexus is well known to them

The Last Stand

Country flag
Good work Trump! Your citizens already put out over 2x per-capita than China, and you seem to want to match them in the overall number as well.

Best wishes,
India.

P.S. Please smog Washington D.C. out of existence first so that your neo-cons go first.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I'm just going to talk about the elephant in the room.

Trump picked up Paris Accords withdrawal because he was treated like literal shit in his recent multilateral visits, such as the NATO Summit.

The only way he can feel important in the world-stage again is by blackmailing the rest of it, so at least some of them put aside reason and suck up to him.

This is what happens when a personality-cult CEO becomes President. He expects to be the most important person in every room. This is unlike Rex Tillerson, who led a company 100X the market cap as the Trump Organization, but can keep his wits about himself.

here2where

Rants from idiots are to be ignored. But if that idiot happens to occupy the most important chair at the table, it is frustrating.
This is what happens when you have the most un-scientific and illogical individual voted to power by an equally illogical and unscientific section of the electorate.
God save our planet from such idiots.

here2where

...Trump picked up Paris Accords withdrawal because he was treated like literal shit in his recent multilateral visits...
First, a narcissistic shit is to be treated like shit only. He got what he deserved.
Secondly you are wrong. Backing out of the accord was not because of any perceived insult, but due to his election promises to the redneck stupid electorate. He just obeyed his campaign financiers.
He is a selfish assed bitch.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
I'm just going to talk about the elephant in the room.

Trump picked up Paris Accords withdrawal because he was treated like literal shit in his recent multilateral visits, such as the NATO Summit.

The only way he can feel important in the world-stage again is by blackmailing the rest of it, so at least some of them put aside reason and suck up to him.
But I think he had mentioned during the elections that he would have a re-look at the Paris accord if he becomes President and scrap it altogether as it fails to provide jobs to the American people.

pmaitra

Trump is the President of the US, and his job is to look out for the people of the US. His characterization of aid to India was way off the mark. In any event, he should fulfill his election campaign promises. Whether his moves will benefit the US or not, time shall tell.

India, on the other hand, needs to focus within. Way too many Indian companies are dependent on the US. With the US Dollar weakening and burgeoning US government debt, if India does not internalize its production and consumption cycle, thousands of Indian IT elites will be on the footpath.

Things are not looking good for much of the world.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Trump is the President of the US, and his job is to look out for the people of the US. His characterization of aid to India was way off the mark.

Things are not looking good for much of the world.
Here's fact Vs fiction on Trump's rants....

From New York to California, from legacy corporations such as General Electric and Exxon-Mobil to newbies like Facebook and Google, from academics and illuminati to people on the streets, America is in a state of ferment and rebellion against a businessman president whose decision to withdraw the US from the globally-endorsed climate change has barely found a ripple of support.

This guy has lost it completely! Contrast his decision to PM Modi's..........

Emphasising that India will not backtrack from its commitment to a clean energy future, PM Narendra Modi said on Friday , “Paris or no Paris, it is our conviction that we have no right to snatch from our future generation their right to have a clean and beautiful earth.“

Well, that's the difference between a rabble rouser and a statesman!

pmaitra

Here's fact Vs fiction on Trump's rants....

From New York to California, from legacy corporations such as General Electric and Exxon-Mobil to newbies like Facebook and Google, from academics and illuminati to people on the streets, America is in a state of ferment and rebellion against a businessman president whose decision to withdraw the US from the globally-endorsed climate change has barely found a ripple of support.

This guy has lost it completely! Contrast his decision to PM Modi's..........

Emphasising that India will not backtrack from its commitment to a clean energy future, PM Narendra Modi said on Friday , “Paris or no Paris, it is our conviction that we have no right to snatch from our future generation their right to have a clean and beautiful earth.“

Well, that's the difference between a rabble rouser and a statesman!
He is a rabble rouser. I agree with you.

Most common people don't care about statistics. They don't have the luxury of doing that. I have traveled through some of the remote towns in the US, in the states one would term as the "fly-over states." There is a lot of poverty and desperation. Once thriving communities deserted, houses boarded up, weed and creepers growing over what used to be flowery gardens. It is hard to not feel bad for the people. I feel the same way about the less privileged people in India, as much as I feel about Americans. After all, I live here and earn my bread here.

Trump did mention Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania) in his speech. He said he was elected by these people, and not by Paris. It was a rhetoric, but it made sense. Pennsylvania was an iron-and-steel behemoth back in the day. Today, most factories have shut down.

Interesting note:

You must be aware of the WP class locomotives?
upload_2017-6-3_0-16-55.jpeg

Many were made in Pennsylvania, like the one below:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
He is a rabble rouser. I agree with you.

Most common people don't care about statistics. They don't have the luxury of doing that. I have traveled through some of the remote towns in the US, in the states one would term as the "fly-over states." There is a lot of poverty and desperation. Once thriving communities deserted, houses boarded up, weed and creepers growing over what used to be flowery gardens. It is hard to not feel bad for the people. I feel the same way about the less privileged people in India, as much as I feel about Americans. After all, I live here and earn my bread here.

Trump did mention Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania) in his speech. He said he was elected by these people, and not by Paris. It was a rhetoric, but it made sense. Pennsylvania was an iron-and-steel behemoth back in the day. Today, most factories have shut down.

Interesting note:

You must be aware of the WP class locomotives?
View attachment 16418

Many were made in Pennsylvania, like the one below:
Is Bretton Woods nullification, the turning point/start of downfall??
Perhaps.

pmaitra

Is Bretton Woods nullification, the turning point/start of downfall??
Perhaps.
The first bad move was the gold confiscation of 1933. Nixon's abandonment of the gold standard, aka, nullification of the Bretton-Woods Agreement was the completion of the circle.

Water finds its own level.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
But who's to blame for this sorry state of affairs in towns like Pittsburgh? After 1970 foreign competition led to the collapse of the steel industry, with massive layoffs and mill closures. They embraced technological change more cautiously than larger firms.

Free market pressures exposed the U.S. steel industry's own internal problems, which included a now-outdated manufacturing base that had been over-expanded in the 1950s and 1960s, hostile management and labor relationships, the inflexibility of United Steelworkers regarding wage cuts and work-rule reforms, oligarchic management styles, and poor strategic planning by both unions and management.

But what of Pittsburgh today? Present-day Pittsburgh, with a diversified economy, a low cost of living, and a rich infrastructure for education and culture, has been ranked as one of the World's Most livable cities.

Tourism has recently boomed in Pittsburgh with nearly 3,000 new hotel rooms opening since 2004 and holding a consistently higher occupancy than in comparable cities. Meanwhile, Apple, Google, Uber, and Intel have joined the 1,600 technology firms choosing to operate out of Pittsburgh.

So what's all the fuss about? Why did Trump mention Pittsburgh as an excuse when it's alive and kicking?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles