Top ten airforces

pashya001

1 USA....
2 Russia
there is lot of competition for third spot but individual technology and kind of war experience they have ..FRANCE IS right choice for third spot over India and china
3 FRANCE
4 India ........... the sukhoi -30mki...,MMRCA ,AMCA, TEJAS AND THE HAL FGFA programs and actual war experience push india at fourth spot
5 CHINA
6 UK
7JAPAN
8 GERMANY
9 SOUTH KOREA/PAKISTAN
10 MALAYSIA.....HAVE SUKHOI30 ,f-18,mig29...small covering area

A.V.

where did u get this data or you made it up form your views?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ridiculous!! If there is any source for this then fine, if not thread is going to trash.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Hey Yusuf, rather than trashing this post (although it seems meaningless), can we discuss about the strengths and weaknesses of the Airforces mentioned above and any other not mentioned there? That might teach us a lot of things.

I for one, would think Israel Airforce is number 3 ahead of France and India (actually France maybe at number 5 behind India) - but my suggestion is to let members post their rankings and then a small discussion about why they think their ranking is correct. Also, someone can post the stats for the individual air-forces - like what aircrafts, how many, what versions. Records of combat, recent performance (recent means say last 20 years) including training programs, pilot training etc. Also, how the airforce fits in with the strategic and geopolitical situation of the country in question should be taken into account for the rankings.

Instead of trashing this or turning it into a d**k measurement game, we can turn this into a learning experience in analyzing the different airforces. What do the forum seniors say?

Illusive

Country flag
1 USA....
2 Russia
there is lot of competition for third spot but individual technology and kind of war experience they have ..FRANCE IS right choice for third spot over India and china
3 FRANCE
4 India ........... the sukhoi -30mki...,MMRCA ,AMCA, TEJAS AND THE HAL FGFA programs and actual war experience push india at fourth spot
5 CHINA
6 UK
7JAPAN
8 GERMANY
9 SOUTH KOREA/PAKISTAN
10 MALAYSIA.....HAVE SUKHOI30 ,f-18,mig29...small covering area
Mate, this ain't youtube

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Here is my top three for what it is worth ...

1. USAF - Largest number of combat/ or any other ac, only operational 5th gen ac (F-22), best AWACS, refueling, transport and bombers. Only Chink in armor is aging fleet of bombers (most from 60s and 70s) and strike fighters (F-15s mostly from 70s and 80s).
2. RuAF - Second largest number of combat ac, good AWACS, refueling and second best number of bombers. Cons - Aging fleet for almost all ac.
3. Israel AF - Advanced training program, best combat records in the last 50 years, advanced avionics, 2nd largest number of F-16s. Cons - aging fleet of F-15s, limited strike fighters.

plugwater

Top three would be

US Air force.

US Navy Air wing.

Russian Air force.

sandeepdg

Please stop posting such stupid threads !! Mods close this thread down, nothing worth here for further discussion.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
You know what I'm also running a little insane today and wanted to paste a ranking of my own .. much like this :D
But even of trolling already at this thread I guess.

Regards,
Virendra

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Actually I see this thread was opened once before and closed by Mods.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
1 USA....
2 Russia
3 FRANCE
4 India
5 CHINA
6 UK
7JAPAN
8 GERMANY
9 SOUTH KOREA/PAKISTAN
10 MALAYSIA.....
It is hard to gauge best Air Forces when you have to take into account numbers, operational readiness, technology and other factors. US is #1 no doubt, Russia has numbers but only 50% readiness, the technology is late eighties but advanced weapon stock is almost nothing. They can defeat small to mid-size countries by brute force taking many casualties so I guess you can keep VVS at #2. I agree with France at #3, 100 Rafale and several hundred M2000 which is the equivalent to any F-16. Also the SEM and F1s are still capable workhorses with their upgrades. All are proving their worth over Libya. France also has the tankers, AWACs, helicopters and transport planes to secure a great power spot. India and China are hard to gauge, China has the numbers but India has the qualitative edge. I agree slipping UK under that. Then Israel because it has a decent number of 4th G fighters but not much on support aircraft. I would move ROK near Japan and both over Germany. Malaysia doesn't have the numbers to be a Top 10 and Israel has to be put there so you have your list. I largely agree with it.

1) US
2) Russia
3) France
4/5 China or India
6) UK
7) Israel
8/9 ROK or Japan
10) Germany

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
^^^

Based on numbers... incorrect numbers at that.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
This is the most comprehensive list of best Air force, edited by me.

1. USA by a large mile. 2,132 fighters, data linked with AWACS support.

2. Russia Still potent and spends 80billion dollars on Mil. 1,342 fighters, data linked with AWACS support.

3. China Growing very fast and has a large modernization program and could soon become number 2. 1,300 fighters,data linked with AWACS support.

4. India Also growing moderately, has a big modernization plan and will have the most number of 5th gen aircraft's by 2025. The Mig-29,Mirage-2000,Jags will all be upgraded to modern standards. 890+fighter aircrafts, data linked with AWACS support.

4. France Has one of the largest Mil budgets. 306 fighters data linked with AWACS support.

5. U.K. coupled wit defense cuts so will have to come down. 280 fighters data linked with AWACS support.

6. Royal Saudi Air force, Spends 10% of GDP, Has placed order for 140 Euro Fighters of which 72 already are functional, 540 fighters data linked with 8-AWACS support, bigger than UK and France but Pilot training suspect!

8. Israel Has 408 fighters no AWACS but data linked to ground, The best trained and lethal tactics attested by all nations that do joint Ex.

9. Japan 396 fighters, data linked with AWACS.

10. Pakistan 478 fighters with AEW&C poor data linking capability in most aircraft's.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
France has 430 fighter jets from Rafale, M2000, F1 and SEM. All of them carry PGMS except for half (30) of the F1 which are Recon and the M2000Cs (52) which are air defence soon to be upgraded to M2000-5. There are 348 fighter/bombers carrying PGMs. That is the second best strike fighter force in the world. Compare that to only 123 GR4s and 6 Typhoons that carry bombs for the UK, 129 PGM bombers is weak. There total fighter force is only 200 or so fighter jets depending on where they are at in operational Typhoons. They are cutting them faster than they make them and by 2020, they will only have 107 Typhoon and 40-50 F-35. France will have 220 Rafale F3/4 and 100 M2000-5.

The numbers listed for most of these countries are way overstated. You need to get World Air Forces PDF from the MILICAS database and count them.

pmaitra

Actually, this is turning out to be a good thread. MODs, kindly do not close this down. If at all, it may be moved to the Members' Corner.

It is hard to gauge best Air Forces when you have to take into account numbers, operational readiness, technology and other factors. US is #1 no doubt, Russia has numbers but only 50% readiness, the technology is late eighties but advanced weapon stock is almost nothing. They can defeat small to mid-size countries by brute force taking many casualties so I guess you can keep VVS at #2. I agree with France at #3, 100 Rafale and several hundred M2000 which is the equivalent to any F-16. Also the SEM and F1s are still capable workhorses with their upgrades. All are proving their worth over Libya. France also has the tankers, AWACs, helicopters and transport planes to secure a great power spot. India and China are hard to gauge, China has the numbers but India has the qualitative edge. I agree slipping UK under that. Then Israel because it has a decent number of 4th G fighters but not much on support aircraft. I would move ROK near Japan and both over Germany. Malaysia doesn't have the numbers to be a Top 10 and Israel has to be put there so you have your list. I largely agree with it.

1) US
2) Russia
3) France
4/5 China or India
6) UK
7) Israel
8/9 ROK or Japan
10) Germany
Good analysis Armand2REP.

here's a link to a real analysis--

Weapon and Technology: Top 10 Air Force
Finally, a link. Thanks for the post. Although it was purely based on numbers, I still like it. I would, however, keep IAF over PLAAF, but then that's me.

This is the most comprehensive list of best Air force, edited by me.

1. USA by a large mile. 2,132 fighters, data linked with AWACS support.

2. Russia Still potent and spends 80billion dollars on Mil. 1,342 fighters, data linked with AWACS support.

3. China Growing very fast and has a large modernization program and could soon become number 2. 1,300 fighters,data linked with AWACS support.

4. India Also growing moderately, has a big modernization plan and will have the most number of 5th gen aircraft's by 2025. The Mig-29,Mirage-2000,Jags will all be upgraded to modern standards. 890+fighter aircrafts, data linked with AWACS support.

4. France Has one of the largest Mil budgets. 306 fighters data linked with AWACS support.

5. U.K. coupled wit defense cuts so will have to come down. 280 fighters data linked with AWACS support.

6. Royal Saudi Air force, Spends 10% of GDP, Has placed order for 140 Euro Fighters of which 72 already are functional, 540 fighters data linked with 8-AWACS support, bigger than UK and France but Pilot training suspect!

8. Israel Has 408 fighters no AWACS but data linked to ground, The best trained and lethal tactics attested by all nations that do joint Ex.

9. Japan 396 fighters, data linked with AWACS.

10. Pakistan 478 fighters with AEW&C poor data linking capability in most aircraft's.
Good analysis Godless-Kafir, but again, like above, I would keep IAF over PLAAF because India definitely has an edge w.r.t. training (exercises) as well as real war experience.

Last but not the least, we must not forget to appreciate good humour, the one below gets the much coveted award:

1) Pak airforce
2) Sudan airforce
3)Ithopia airforce
4)Somalia air force
5) Haiti air force

source: Jupitor:becky::becky::becky:

SHASH2K2

Israel is the one selling phalcons to India and their own airforce is without AWAC support. Cannot believe that information.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles