Today is Swami Vivekananda's 150 Birth Anniversary! India Celebrating?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Wow ! I didn't know that.

Well if India isn't celebrating, there is no reason to not celebrate it individually.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Youth Festival to commemorate the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda

This is the 17th year of the Youth Festival , that kicks off in Mangalore, which is held to commemorate the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda on January 12. The first festival was held in Bhopal in 1995.

Hundreds of youth from across India have descended on this Karnataka coastal town along the Arabian Sea for 'Celebrating Diversity in Unity' at the National Youth Festival starting on Thursday.

Mangalore, about 350 km west of Bangalore, is an apt place for the theme as, besides English and Hindi, four languages - Kannada, Urdu, Tulu and Konkani - are spoken in this town with a mixed population of Hindus, Christians and Muslims.

About 5,000 youth from across India and several delegates from SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) countries will participate in various events over five days.

Chief Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda will inaugurate the festival in the presence of union Corporate Affairs Minister M. Veerappa Moily and union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Ajay Maken.

It is organized by the central government and the government of the state where it is held.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
India is celebrating but in a very muted fashion.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It seems that BJP govts are the only ones who are!

I will wait for tomorrow's news to see how Bengal celebrated the same, apart from a general holiday today!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Wow ! I didn't know that.

Well if India isn't celebrating, there is no reason to not celebrate it individually.
And we should not quote him individually too! ;)

H.A.

Lets celebrate hi Birth Anniversary on this forum by each member remembering his quotes...

H.A.

what nobody participating in the celebrations!!!!!?

H.A.

His memory is politically not important!

Good for quotes and moral high standing, but nothing else.
He should have been a spiritual figure then we should have seen a lot of replies. :-(

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am told that he practised all religions as did his mentor, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa.

Would that be secular? ;)

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
He was a great philosopher and a guide to many; it has been our misfortune that we never gave due recognition to such people even after independence, due to our very own petty secularism and anti-Hindu policies initiated by our very own first blunderer and treacherous PM. Many today don't even know who Swami Vivekanand was ; however, they know about Stalin, Queen Elizabeth, Pope John Paul, Mao et al. This is our biggest loss!

I wish his blessed soul stimulates some intellect in - 'Majority of Indians'.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Sir I guess you didn't got my point, our history books celebrate only "secular figures" who are declared as "secular" by some group. Rest all figures are not worthy to be remembered. No wonder we don't see them followed in main stream.

balai_c

I am told that he practised all religions as did his mentor, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa.

Would that be secular? ;)
Well,that would be pluralistic,not secular.Secular means detached from all religions.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would not know.

All I know is that he is quoted and acclaimed by all including the Govt.

Why acclaim.

Let him fade with grace and not be used when required because it is PC.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir I guess you didn't got my point, our history books celebrate only "secular figures" who are declared as "secular" by some group. Rest all figures are not worthy to be remembered. No wonder we don't see them followed in main stream.
Thanks.

I am pretty perturbed about our Mamta who capitalises on every religious and social reason.

Her misusing Islam is legend!

Her forgetting Jesus is also legend!

Has she forgotten her own Swami or is he not important for the votes?

I don't hold Sonia G not knowing the Swami. She wouldn't know till someone told her since her heritage is not Indian.

I don't blame MMS. He is a martyr already!

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles