Tipu Sultan

raghavi

In NASA , we can find a painting which was - it depicted a battle scene , with a few rockets flying in the background . it is the army of Tipu Sultan fighting against east India company towards the end of the eighteenth century . it the INDIAN ruler who first used the sounding rockets . the development of indian rockets in the twentieth century can be seen as a revival of the eighteenth century vision of tipu sultan .
when tipu sultan was killed , the british forces captured more than 700 rockets and the subsystems of 900 rockets . these rockets were taken to england and subjected by the british to what we call 'reverse engineering ' today - there were no strict patent regimes then !
with the death of tipu sultan , indain rocketry came to a stand still - to be revived 150 years later in an independent india .

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Yes, the Britishers learnt the deadly utility of the rockets from us... in fact, as far as weaponisation was concerned, we beat even the Chinese who always make tall claims about gunpowder and rockets et al.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
EM, credit where due. The Chinese did pioneer the use of the gun powder and rockets. Tipu Sultan weaponised it well to use it against the British who then started taking keen interest in the system.

raghavi

this is not the only thing which happened .. many more things have been done by british on the name of civilisation or white mans burden ......when britishers took away the kohinoor diamond etc., china claimed things which indians did before they even know spell of it like chess its even now claimed that chineese found when our indians have played chess before they even the name of it..... its an old famous game played by kings .like wise we can see many others in scientific and other developments in our country before any other country could do it ....... we have got many things born in our soil before they were even civilised ....

S.A.T.A

Credit must be due where it belongs and Chinese definitely pioneered the science of explosives,but there are strong reasons to believe that the the science of explosives and their adoption as weapon of war may have developed in India rather independently.

Military historians from the 19th century have long debated that the knowledge of Gunpowder and the method of making and using it was known to ancient Indians and perhaps may have independently evolved here.....

Kautilya is supposed to make reference to a substance called 'Agni curna' in the context of Magadhan combat weapons,Gustav oppert,a Professor at Madras presidency college in 1880, in his work On the weapons of the Ancient Hindus cites two Sanskrit manuscripts, Sukraniti and Nitiprakasika (which haven't been dated successfully,except a mention that they are perhaps from the early medieval period) which,according to the author,records the method of preparing a gun powder,which was called Agni curna.......

The Sanskrit work Sukraniti has been ascribed to Sukracharya and Oppert maintains that the ingredients that went into making Agni curna have been well known in India for long time.

raghavi

at the same time , india has done many contributions in the field of medical sciences , rocketry , mathematics , solar system , we used to calculate the time and even now when we see our calenders made by the indians , it speaks about eclipses when that was felt as mystery by other country people . in india calenders were made according to the position of the sun etc., which had begun before civilisations took place .....

johnee

Who cares, where something originated? All that matters is who is the current master of that art/field.........

Eg: cricket could have originated in Eng or Kenya, it doesnt matter. What matters is that cricket today is alive becoz of Indian public's interest in sport. What matters is that BCCI literally controls the game.........
So, indians are the masters of cricket.

It is difficult to point out the origins of any field, different ppl from different nations take knowledge of one field and improve on it. When India was powerful, strong and rich, Indians were undoubtedly the masters in many fields, when we became weak, others took over that knowledge and improved it. This is an unending cycle and no one can claim to have discovered some field.......

BTW, we should concentrate on those ancient sciences that our ancestors have developed that are still not in mainstream. We wait for westerners to take that and make it popular. Yoga was always a great exercise, but until westerners made it popular, Indians(elite ones) looked down upon it. Now, we have yoga centres at every street corner.
Why should we wait for some foreigner to come and teach things? Eg: Vedic Maths should be taught in schools as a special branch of Maths and more research must be done on it. But alas, we wait for some foreigner to do it, before we ape them.........

raghavi

no !!! in case of vedic maths , i think that many ppl are very well know about that . but there are very less teachers who teach that subject . its the duty of govt as well as ppl to make use of what our ancestors gave us and inturn give it to next generations . they have to establish schools as many as possible which give us proper guidance in vedic maths . and also handicrafts its one of our ancient one , can u say how many ppl are really interested in handicrafts etc., ??

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Raghavi...Vedic maths...lol...you must be a Einstein, Raman or Ramanujam to understand the real meaning of those problems. It is far more advanced than the Mathematics that we know of today. It aint feasible to be taught. Perhaps Ph.D. can be done in them. But not in mainstream education.

johnee

Raghavi...Vedic maths...lol...you must be a Einstein, Raman or Ramanujam to understand the real meaning of those problems. It is far more advanced than the Mathematics that we know of today. It aint feasible to be taught. Perhaps Ph.D. can be done in them. But not in mainstream education.
Satish,
vedic maths like the ordinary maths has different levels. Even KG kids can be taught Vedic Maths, at the same time Ph Ds can do research as well.........

raghavi

hey then i know many ppl who have learnt vedic maths . you would be surprised , that many including me have got the speed in mathematics which we are studying presently , it gives a lot of things like you can get the answer of few problemsin finger tips , it give u the real concept of maths .....

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes vedic maths must be thought. Its not that difficult i gather and right from basic multiplication to integration, everything is taken care of. And its much more simplistic.

The only ones to be complaining though are the manufacturers of calculators :)

raghavi

Yes vedic maths must be thought. Its not that difficult i gather and right from basic multiplication to integration, everything is taken care of. And its much more simplistic.

The only ones to be complaining though are the manufacturers of calculators :)
exactly correct. by invemtion or making much use of calculators made ppl very lazy than ever ......
actuall maths is much simple and easy than right now...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I realized how easy it was to use vedic maths pretty late. By then i was done with Maths and didnt further explore it. One thing is for sure, i would love to find a teacher for vedic maths for my kids.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
EM, credit where due. The Chinese did pioneer the use of the gun powder and rockets. Tipu Sultan weaponised it well to use it against the British who then started taking keen interest in the system.
Come on yaar, I did give them the credit, I only claimed we were ahead in weaponisation... never said we invented gunpowder and rockets...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Come on yaar, I did give them the credit, I only claimed we were ahead in weaponisation... never said we invented gunpowder and rockets...
My apologies mate. But the Chinese did start using them as weapons in the 12th or 13th century. But yes Tipu took it to a new level and thats where the British learned from.

raghavi

may be chineese use gunpowder etc., but tipu sultan used rockets that too sounding rockets in eighteen century .... it was india i e tipu sultan who first invented and from there the britishers took it off ... so say me to whom does the credit goes to british for acheiving or to india?

raghavi

I realized how easy it was to use vedic maths pretty late. By then i was done with Maths and didnt further explore it. One thing is for sure, i would love to find a teacher for vedic maths for my kids.
you can find yusuf, and also through maths physics would become easy... you can find them but it takes time .... just out for the places in the city outskirts or so most of the vedic maths schools would be in outskirts of city ......

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
Hey Rags Can you get me some detailson this certain branch of maths

raghavi

Hey Rags Can you get me some detailson this certain branch of maths
yup sure ..but i need some time collecting info etc,. presently a bit busy in acedamics .. ill give u in last week of june ok??

Global Defence

New threads

Articles