Tipu Sultan

Flint

Rite, lets not get into romantic notions of Vedic Maths. Its a completely independent stream of mathematics, but unfortunately its development stopped a long time ago.

Western mathematics has advanced far beyond this, and we have no choice but to use it.

But don't be too sad - western mathematics itself is built on the Indian number system.

threadbrowser

Guys please....

I suffered too much with just western maths in school and now you want to introduce a second type!!! that too in sanskrit!!!:(:)(:)((

Have mercy!:noo1:

raghavi

hey that wouldnt be in sanskrit .vedic maths would be in our general mother language only

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Tipu Sultan's descendants will have their royal status restored
The Telegraph Group Limited, London 2009
Published: July 31, 2009, 22:58

Delhi: Tipu Sultan, the 18th century 'Tiger of Mysore', ruled a kingdom that challenged British rule in India, sent ambassadors to Napoleon in Paris and was hailed as a legendary warrior by Sir Walter Scott.

Today his descendants are rickshaw pullers and domestic servants in Kolkata, shunned by India's remaining royal families and humiliated by officials of a trust established to provide for their welfare.

But more than 200 years after Tipu Sultan was overpowered and killed by East India Company forces his impoverished descendants are to have their royal status restored.

They are being rehabilitated as a mark of respect to the ruler many Indians regard as the first hero of their freedom movement.

His reputation as a great general and fearless warrior was sealed in the Second Mysore War when he defeated British forces under Sir Hector Munro at the Battle of Pollilur in 1780. With the aid of French officers, he broke through British lines and unleashed 13 offensives until the British officers surrendered. One of them, Captain David Baird, was held prisoner for four years before returning to his regiment and leading the force that defeated Tipu Sultan in 1799.

The defeat marked the start of a long and painful descent for his family. His sons and their families were rounded up, jailed and later exiled to Kolkata, where Tipu Sultan had bought large estates for them.

The family's defiance of British rule led to their being shunned by other Indian royal families and their fortunes declined.

The estates, which include the Royal Calcutta Golf Club and the Tollygunge Club, one of the foremost gentlemen's clubs of the British Raj, are worth hundreds of millions of pounds. But they were taken over by a trust, which has refused to pay for their children's education or save them from penury.

The estates were leased out on long-term peppercorn rents. Shahid Alam, the trust's secretary, complained recently that the descendants wasted any money they were given and that the trust's role was to maintain two mosques named after the Tiger of Mysore rather than provide handouts.

Gulfnews: Tipu Sultan's descendants will have their royal status restored

Country flag
Thru the course of history a lot of ancient wisdom has been destroyed, thru invasions,migration or simply no one to pass it down too; from the library at Alexandria to our ancient vedas; where much of the knowledge was passed down from teachers(gurus) to students, as this system changed much of the knowledge may have been lost,sometimes i wonder what small percentage of this ancient knowledge we know today? and how long it took relearn some of the concepts??

S.A.T.A

Preserving knowledge for the sake preserving will not go a long way in preserving them.If knowledge has to survive,it has to be relevant to the society.Only when a society develops a stake in it,will any attempt to preserve really succeed.

What does India's ancient literary corpus mean to the present society ?

Country flag
SATA how much of this ancient knowledge do you think we presently know??

S.A.T.A

Most Linguists and mythologists have the opinion that only about 10%of all ancient knowledge that was ever composed, compiled and passed has ever survived to this day.With those that have survived today we have difficulty in interpreting their content and context.Most of the collective myths are cast aside by the scholarly community largely because we are unable to interpret their meaning.

Ancient knowledge is like a encrypted communication,unless i have cipher i will not be able to see anything but a compilation of gibberish.

In the Indian context,muc has surved and too many lost.infact The very reason why the Upanishads were composed was because the sages, who were initiated into the method of interpreting the vedic hymns, were worried that the future generations would be unable to do that unless the soul of the hymns were interpreted.hence the need to compose the Upanishads.Over the centuries even the Upanishads became unintelligible for those uninitiated and hence Maha Gurus like Adi Sankara wrote 'Bhashyas' which were basically exhaustive commentaries on the Upanishads.

Like many work of scholarship today,ancient Indian scholarly works and cited older works for reference.Many of the older Dharma sutras are only known to us because they find reference in works like Artashastra and neetishastra.If not for early Buddhist references we wouldn't know anything about such schools of Indian philosophy like the Carvakas and Ajeevikas.Except for such odd references they are as good as lost to us.

threadbrowser

even if Tipu worked against the British i never weep for fallen royalty.
Just because they are born of certain families gives them no right to rule over us.
Down with the nobility down with kings!
Like the French say Vive la republique and Vive la guillotine.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
even if Tipu worked against the British i never weep for fallen royalty.
Just because they are born of certain families gives them no right to rule over us.
Down with the nobility down with kings!
Like the French say Vive la republique and Vive la guillotine.
From where u got that they are ruling over us ?
There are certain royal family members who have joined politics and have been elected and there is no guarantee that they can be in power always .

threadbrowser

From where u got that they are ruling over us ?
There are certain royal family members who have joined politics and have been elected and there is no guarantee that they can be in power always .
Methinks perhaps you misinterpreted my sentence. They were ruling over us in the past, not by the will of the people but because they claimed to be of superior 'royal' bloodlines.
I was not referring to our present day republic, just that I find nostalgic sentimentality attached to kings distasteful.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Methinks perhaps you misinterpreted my sentence. They were ruling over us in the past, not by the will of the people but because they claimed to be of superior 'royal' bloodlines.
I was not referring to our present day republic, just that I find nostalgic sentimentality attached to kings distasteful.
In the past , Will of the people was always there somewhere in the corner and even its the same in the present centuary and thts why there are regimes imposed on people .

I do think that Great Grand children of Royals such as the Mughals and Tipu Sultan do deserve some kind of help from the Government such as a small job and better lives .

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I do think that Great Grand children of Royals such as the Mughals and Tipu Sultan do deserve some kind of help from the Government such as a small job and better lives .
I don't. What have they done to deserve freebies from the government? Just because their great-great-great ancestors were kings, they should be given jobs by the govt? They should be in the same rat race that everyone else is in......but unfortunately in India, Sab chalta hai, so what you're saying may indeed come true.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
I don't. What have they done to deserve freebies from the government? Just because their great-great-great ancestors were kings, they should be given jobs by the govt? They should be in the same rat race that everyone else is in......but unfortunately in India, Sab chalta hai, so what you're saying may indeed come true.
My friend , we are getting billions from tourism and these kings are part of Indian Culture and history . When we pride for all ours monuments , then we should not forget who built them even .

S.A.T.A

Getting rid of the Royals was probably the best thing that could have happened to India.Most Royals almost with out an exception were cohorts in our colonization and made little effort to the wards the nationalist case in the past century.If it was left to their own devices they would still have preferred the raj setup.

During the whole endeavor to root out feudalism in this country,it baffles me why some of them allowed to retain land, title and palaces,which none of them deserved to retain.

When veteran freedom fighters are struggling to make two ends meet and being made to run from pillar to post for a ridiculous pittance that goes in the name of 'freedom fighters pension',such allowances for descendants for long dead royals is ridiculous.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
SATA would liek to the Devils advocate here there are much some Important milestones like the Temple entry Proclamation (Travancore) is one such example even Ghandiji the stalward of the freedom fighters spoke in high regards about both the Cochin and Travancore Kings who unlike the stupids of today did every thing for the people that they ruled

natarajan

Getting rid of the Royals was probably the best thing that could have happened to India.Most Royals almost with out an exception were cohorts in our colonization and made little effort to the wards the nationalist case in the past century.If it was left to their own devices they would still have preferred the raj setup.

During the whole endeavor to root out feudalism in this country,it baffles me why some of them allowed to retain land, title and palaces,which none of them deserved to retain.

When veteran freedom fighters are struggling to make two ends meet and being made to run from pillar to post for a ridiculous pittance that goes in the name of 'freedom fighters pension',such allowances for descendants for long dead royals is ridiculous.
No difference as before it was royal now it was netas who are ruling country and their generation is going to rule india(nehru to rahul)

Flint

SATA would liek to the Devils advocate here there are much some Important milestones like the Temple entry Proclamation (Travancore) is one such example even Ghandiji the stalward of the freedom fighters spoke in high regards about both the Cochin and Travancore Kings who unlike the stupids of today did every thing for the people that they ruled
There were certain exceptional rulers, especially in South India, who did a lot for their people. But the vast majority of them unfortunately were building grand palaces while their people starved to death.

S.A.T.A

Social reforms(not diluting the fact that they were inherently wise steps) enacted by these rulers had a distinctive political tone to it.Since the 1900's The British alarmed by the growing strength of the nationalist movement tried everything to disrupt it,because the nationalist movement under the INC was by and large dominated by the Upper caste Hindus,Muslims and lower caste Hindus were targeted.

The Division of Bengal,the Simon commission,their open support for Ambedkar's Dalit movement etc...Similarly they inspired rulers of territories outside the presidency to take measures that would draw the non uppercaste Hindu masses from the nationalist movement.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
The Temple Entry Proclamation issued by Maharaja Shri Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma and his Dewan Sir C. P. Ramaswami Iyer in 1936 abolished the ban on low-caste people or avarnas from entering Hindu Temples in the state of Travancore

Profoundly convinced of the truth and validity of our religion, believing that it is based on divine guidance and on all-comprehending toleration, knowing that in its practice it has through out the centuries, adapted itself to the needs of changing times, solicitous that none of our Hindu subjects should, by reason of birth or caste of community, be denied the consolations and the solace of the Hindu faith."

for HH the Maharaja

Diwan Sir C.P. Ramaswamy Iyer trvancore state

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles