Timeless Gandhi Speech, Needs to be Heard More Than Ever

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

On this date, June 7, in 1893 Mahatma Gandhi, born in India, educated and trained as a barrister in England, began in South Africa a life of non-violent resistance that changed the world.
In South Africa, Gandhi faced the discrimination directed at Indians. He was thrown off a train at Pietermaritzburg after refusing to move from the first class to a third-class coach while holding a valid first-class ticket. Traveling farther on by stagecoach he was beaten by a driver for refusing to travel on the foot board to make room for a European passenger. He suffered other hardships on the journey as well, including being barred from several hotels. In another incident, the magistrate of a Durban court ordered Gandhi to remove his turban - which he refused to do. These events were a turning point in his life, awakening him to social injustice and influencing his subsequent social activism. It was through witnessing firsthand the racism, prejudice and injustice against Indians in South Africa that Gandhi started to question his people's status within the British Empire, and his own place in society.
Gandhi influenced many civil rights leaders in the past century, including Martin Luther King, and his words and teachings are still relevant today.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

The Speech of Mahatma Gandhi recorded in Kingsley Hall, London in 1931. He was a great Leader who was the pioneer of Satyagraha and Ahinsa. Join the Largest India Page on facebook : http://bit.ly/Ja7Ts

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

Gandhi's the Father of the nation of India's speech in Germany stating the minimum we need is the complete freedom

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I made this Thread Sticky. This is truly something to be heard, over and over and over again. God Speed

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

Mahatma Gandhi Funeral Cremation

The object of this massive tribute died as he had always lived - a private man without wealth, without property, without official title or office. Mahatma Gandhi was not a commander of great armies nor ruler of vast lands. He could boast no scientific achievements or artistic gift. Yet men, governments and dignitaries from all over the world have joined hands today to pay homage to this little brown man in the loincloth who led his country to freedom. Pope Pius, the Archbishop of Canterbury, President Truman, Chiang Kai-shek, The Foreign Minister of Russia, the President of France... are among the millions here and abroad who have lamented his passing. In the words of General George C. Marshall, the American Secretary of State, "Mahatma Gandhi had become the spokesman for the conscience of mankind, a man who made humility and simple truth more powerful than empires." And Albert Einstein added, "Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth."

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

In 2000, Shri Dharam Jit Jigyasu gave his grandson, Muni Jaitly, an eyewitness account of Mahatma Gandhi's assassination. Jigyasuji was standing next to the killer on January 30th, 1948. For the article click here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/0...

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

There is an indefinable mysterious power that pervades everything, I feel it though I do not see it. It is this unseen power which makes itself felt and yet defies all proof, because it is so unlike all that I perceive through my senses. It transcends the senses. But it is possible to reason out the existence of God to a limited extent. Even in ordinary affairs we know that people do not know who rules or why and how He rules and yet they know that there is a power that certainly rules.

In my tour last year in Mysore I met many poor villagers and I found upon inquiry that they did not know who ruled Mysore. They simply said some God ruled it. If the knowledge of these poor people was so limited about their ruler I who am infinitely lesser in respect to God than they to their ruler need not be surprised if I do not realize the presence of God - the King of Kings. Nevertheless, I do feel, as the poor villagers felt about Mysore, that there is orderliness in the universe, there is an unalterable law governing everything and every being that exists or lives. It is not a blind law, for no blind law can govern the conduct of living being and thanks to the marvelous researches of Sir J. C. Bose it can now be proved that even matter is life. That law then which governs all life is God. Law and the law-giver are one. I may not deny the law or the law-giver because I know so little about it or Him. Just as my denial or ignorance of the existence of an earthly power will avail me nothing even so my denial of God and His law will not liberate me from its operation, whereas humble and mute acceptance of divine authority makes life's journey easier even as the acceptance of earthly rule makes life under it easier.

I do dimly perceive that whilst everything around me is ever changing, ever dying there is underlying all that change a living power that is changeless, that holds all together, that creates, dissolves and recreates. That informing power of spirit is God, and since nothing else that I see merely through the senses can or will persist, He alone is. And is this power benevolent or malevolent ?

I see it as purely benevolent, for I can see that in the midst of death life persists, in the midst of untruth truth persists, in the midst of darkness light persists.

Hence I gather that God is life, truth, light. He is love. He is the supreme Good. But He is no God who merely satisfies the intellect, if He ever does. God to be God must rule the heart and transform it. He must express himself in every smallest act of His votary. This can only be done through a definite realization, more real than the five senses can ever produce. Sense perceptions can be and often are false and deceptive, however real they may appear to us. Where there is realization outside the senses it is infallible. It is proved not by extraneous evidence but in the transformed conduct and character of those who have felt the real presence of God within.

Such testimony is to be found in the experiences of an unbroken line of prophets and sages in all countries and climes. To reject this evidence is to deny oneself. This realization is preceded by an immovable faith.

He who would in his own person test the fact of God's presence can do so by a living faith and since faith itself cannot be proved by extraneous evidence the safest course is to believe in the moral government of the world and therefore in the supremacy of the moral law, the law of truth and love.

Exercise of faith will be the safest where there is a clear determination summarily to reject all that is contrary to truth and love. I confess that I have no argument to convince through reason. Faith transcends reason. All that I can advise is not to attempt the impossible.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

This is a 5 hrs. 10 min. documentary biography of Mohandas Mahatma Gandhi - Note: Here are only 30 minutes presented. For full movie, see below - All events and principles of Gandhi's life and thought are viewed as integrated parts of his truth-intoxicated life depicting permanent and universal values. The purpose of the film is to tell the present and the future generations "that such a man as Gandhi in flesh and blood walked upon this earth", to acquaint them with his life and work and to spread his message of peace and universal brotherhood to the war-weary and fear-stricken world. The film brings together a mass of visual record not only of 78-year life of Gandhi but also of an important period of India's history. The aim of the film being education and not entertainment, there is no attempt at dramatization of those exciting times. The story is told with an eye to truthful documentation of the main events within the limits of available documentary visual material ...

Watch full movie, read information and script: http://streams.gandhiserve.org/mahatm...

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
In this final episode, Mishal Husain explores the dramatic last years of Gandhi's life, which culminated in his death by an assassin's bullet. She gets to the bottom of an enduring mystery - why is Gandhi revered as Father of the Nation, when India turned its back on Gandhi's blueprint for the country? In the final episode, Mishal retraces Gandhi's visit to England in 1931 and uncovers evidence that Gandhi may have unwittingly contributed to the eventual partition of India. Newsreel footage from the time captures Gandhi meeting the people of Lancashire and London's East End, and Tony Benn recalls meeting him as a six-year-old boy. Sixteen years later India is free, but by then Gandhi is a broken man: sidelined from the centre of power and devastated by partition and the horrific violence that independence brings. But it is Gandhi's darkest hour that finally brings his greatest triumph. This documentary is telecasted in BBC around Gandhi Jayanthi year 2009. It's one of the best and reasonable effort to find imperfection in Gandhi.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
In the second part of the series, Mishal Husain traces Gandhi's transformation from obscure lawyer to father of the nation and discovers a more complicated and intriguing man than the saintly Hollywood version. Gandhi had to face unpopularity, political failure and British jails. But in 1930 he triumphs - launching the most astute campaign of the age -the 240-mile Salt March that succeeded in humiliating the British Raj. This program is telecasted in BBC around Gandhi Jayanthi year 2009. It's one of the best and reasonable effort to find flaws in Gandhi.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles