Third Type 071 Yuzhao Class LPD Launched

guoyinag

nice pictures, when the fourth 071 launched later this year, we may see the image of three 071 LPDs under construction at the same time in this shipyard.

nimo_cn

Country flag
The third mountain of PLAN. Where is the second mountain?

Last edited:

cir

#12 054A at HD:

Looks like it is ripe for launch in a month or so.

cir

C5 to be launched in Oct.

C6 under construction at JN, likely to be launched before year end.

L4 and F12 and F14 under construction at HD, F13 and F15 at HP.

056 LF(Light Frigate) #1 and #2 soon to apppear.

Submarine tenders and auxiliary ship under construction at GSI.

trackwhack

Yes big n meaty .... perfect lunch for a Brahmos :)

Sorry, all in jest, couldnt resist

cir

Taken this morning - 2 LPDs and 1 054A+ frigate on the Huangpu River:

A 4th LPD and 2 054A+ frigates under construction in a dock nearby.

J20!

Country flag
China seems to be building these powerful assault ships in bulk now. I keep wondering why we don't build a class of LPH's, but I think I've figured it out now. We lack a massed produced, workhorse naval helicopter, and what would be the point of an LPH without sufficient naval heli's? Thoughts?

jat

China seems to be building these powerful assault ships in bulk now. I keep wondering why we don't build a class of LPH's, but I think I've figured it out now. We lack a massed produced, workhorse naval helicopter, and what would be the point of an LPH without sufficient naval heli's? Thoughts?
These are not ASW assets but offensive weapons for troop and vehicle transport not helecopters alone. And yes, PLAN is severely lacking in critical area's like ASW. One wonders why the PLAN lack ASW aircraft. Likily because the PLAN does not trust the PLAAF for air support. Seems like there is a big rift in the 3 arms of the PLA N AF.

cir

Hulls and sections for the 5th type 071 LPD have been seen at HD. It is highly likely that an initial batch of 6 ships will be built or under construction before 2012 ends. Enough for 6 marine battalions.

As for LHDs, the 1st of the rumoured 6-8 ships might see light of the day in 2012.

All is unfolding according to plan.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
One battalion per ship? In your dreams. You are talking 1000 troops per ship, there is hardly enough living space to accommodate 300 troops on an extended voyage. 600 if you pack them in for a quick trip to Taiwan.

pi314159

One battalion per ship? In your dreams. You are talking 1000 troops per ship, there is hardly enough living space to accommodate 300 troops on an extended voyage. 600 if you pack them in for a quick trip to Taiwan.
A battalion can have as many as 1200 soldiers or as few as 300 soldiers. Perhaps you should first ask what is the size of Chinese marine battalion.

J20!

Country flag
Armand, I know we're Chinese and you hate us, but try to be civil, no one is dreaming. The Yuzhao class can accomodate from 500 to 800 troops. I've never heard of it only accomodating 300 troops.

I mean how does a 20000 ton ship, which has the sole duty of ferrying troops and equipment (including tanks and our amphibious amoured vehicles) manage to only carry 300 troops?

J20!

Country flag
These are not ASW assets but offensive weapons for troop and vehicle transport not helecopters alone. And yes, PLAN is severely lacking in critical area's like ASW. One wonders why the PLAN lack ASW aircraft. Likily because the PLAN does not trust the PLAAF for air support. Seems like there is a big rift in the 3 arms of the PLA N AF.
I know they aren't asw vessels. But think about it jat. An LHD, has all the capabilities of an LPD, but an LPD doesn't have the same capability an LHD has. An LHD can can double as an ASW heli carrier, but when needed, carries hovercraft and landing craft just as well. Dokdo, comes to mind here, or even Mistral.

I assume that the PLAN is more landing craft/hovercraft focused than helicopter borne assault oriented. If you look at the 071, it carries more hovercraft than even the Wasp can, and the Wasp is twice its displacement. Maybe the PLAN is following the US NAvy's model, LPD and LHD, as opposed to the French model for instance, which is integrating the LPD and LHD into one with the Mistral.

cir

maybe in your land of the "shining" sun a battalion has as many as 1000 troops. but if you know zilch about the number of soldiers a Chinese battalion is composed of, you'd better keep mum less you make a complete fool of urself.

FYI and trying to be a little educational for ur benifit just this once, a Chinese regular army REGIMENT have just over 1000 troops.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles