There are two good news for China today!

LTE-TDD

The first one is Z-20 maiden flight successfully completed early this morning at a Northeast AB!
The second one is J20 2003 confirmed!

LTE-TDD

no picture duo to fog, will post the picture when availibile

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
China's Black Hawk helicopter clone makes first flight

On Dec. 23, at 14.11 Local Time, Chinese medium lift utility helicopter dubbed Z-20 made its first flight.

As the image (published on a Chinese Internet website and then made available by Alert5) shows, the chopper is clearly based on the U.S. Black Hawk type (China operates 24 Black Hawk procured in 1983 as S-70C-2).

Still, it features some peculiar things: the 5-blade rotor, a larger cabin and a different landing gear and tail.

Z-20 is believed to be a 10-ton chopper that will be used to replace Mi-17 and Mi-171 helos within People's Liberation Army.

The Aviationist » China’s Black Hawk helicopter clone makes first flight

bennedose

I wonder why the Chinese make almost exact copies of American stuff?

Two reasons I can think of - maybe both are partially true, and both valid and sensible reasons - give a worldwide admiration for anything American.
1. By doing an exact clone or a close copy, a lot of the stealth/aerodynamic issues that need solving have already been solved by the US - so only some tweaking will be needed.
2. America admirers and critics of indigenous tech (in India and I presume in China also) will always take pains to point out why the American stuff looks better. By making a close copy the wind is taken out of the sails of these characters. who have to shut up.

Not a bad tactic to kill two birds with one copied stone - but I doubt if India will do that..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles