The Vijayanagara Empire

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Heinz

all BS BS and nothing else. You can not wish away the realities.... stop dreaming about Ch*nk*-----ies and wake up from your sweet dreams.... We are there and we can not wish it off.

Param

pathetic.... so again a chola massacre............ by a Sinhalese people....
Actually the Sinhalas had the support of the Pallavas and their mentors, therefore the Cholas on both sides of the straits could not do much in the war.

You'll probably won't understand whom I am referring to......

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Guys relax, lets not get hostile towards Sri-lanka now. We already had a big head ache and ego clash, totally unnecessary and irresponsible to prick up that bitter Tamil-Sinhala rivalry. Me being from Chennai i am sick of it, lets not go that way.

Iamanidiot

Actually the Sinhalas had the support of the Pallavas and their mentors, therefore the Cholas on both sides of the straits could not do much in the war.

Iyengar filter coffee?

Param

^^^ I have always liked the Nayaks more than the Pallavas.:thumb:

HeinzGud

Country flag

sorry for trolling.... anyway even though Sinhalese kingdom had strong relationship with pallavas, during the invasion of cholas (rajendra and raja raja) all of SL was captured except the small Sinhalese enclave of ruhuna (present day hambanthota area). And from there sinhalese gatherd resources to repel the invaders and it says that all most 20 years had gone until the final victory over cholas. Threre was no record that pallavas had any hand in the Sinhala - chola battle.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
sorry for trolling.... anyway even though Sinhalese kingdom had strong relationship with pallavas, during the invasion of cholas (rajendra and raja raja) all of SL was captured except the small Sinhalese enclave of ruhuna (present day hambanthota area). And from there sinhalese gatherd resources to repel the invaders and it says that all most 20 years had gone until the final victory over cholas. Threre was no record that pallavas had any hand in the Sinhala - chola battle.
Is that the reason Hambanthota (humble Tota) has been given over to the Chinese !!

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
We have to act like the british more on calling fowl over our aid and throw tantrums to! That sure will annoy the sri-lankans.

Tolaha

It is a Telugu Kakatiya Chieftains who started the Dynasty .Gradually it became a war state which mainly had Kamma,reddy,kapu,velama nayaks as underlings
The signs of a great emperor is when everyone claims him to be one of their own! :)
Other than a few [very few! :) ] folks, most consider Vijayanagar to be a Karnataka empire! But the most important accomplishment of the Vijayanagara empire was how they got people from different region united, fight as one single entity and strive to build an empire!

There are many, many centuries between the Kakatiyas and the foundation of the Vijayanagar... founded by 2 folks who most historians confirm to be Kannadigas and was done firmly within the heart of the present Karnakata.

As mentioned by Parijataka, there were 4 dynasties that controlled the Vijayanagar empire. Among these, during the Tuluva dynasty, specifically during the riegn of Krishnadevaraya, Telugu folks gained immense prominence. Many theories have been proposed for this, and the one favoured by some Andhraites is that Krishnadevaraya was a Telugu guy himself! Ever wondered why his dynasty is said to be "Tuluva" dynasty?

Iamanidiot

The signs of a great emperor is when everyone claims him to be one of their own! :)
Other than a few [very few! :) ] folks, most consider Vijayanagar to be a Karnataka empire! But the most important accomplishment of the Vijayanagara empire was how they got people from different region united, fight as one single entity and strive to build an empire!

There are many, many centuries between the Kakatiyas and the foundation of the Vijayanagar... founded by 2 folks who most historians confirm to be Kannadigas and was done firmly within the heart of the present Karnakata.

As mentioned by Parijataka, there were 4 dynasties that controlled the Vijayanagar empire. Among these, during the Tuluva dynasty, specifically during the riegn of Krishnadevaraya, Telugu folks gained immense prominence. Many theories have been proposed for this, and the one favoured by some Andhraites is that Krishnadevaraya was a Telugu guy himself! Ever wondered why his dynasty is said to be "Tuluva" dynasty?
Sri KrishnaDevaraya wrote Amuktamalyada in Telugu.Linguistic Boundaries were quite different then when compared to today.Similarly Kannada and Telugu have similar script because of Vijaynagara.Gangadevi's Maduravijayam was also written in Telugu which details the fall of Madurai Deccan sultanate Feudals

Tolaha

You still havent answered why the dynasty name was "Tuluva". I do converse with you in English, I write most of the time in English... it doesn't make me an Englishman, does it?

To add, my main intention of my original post was to point out that there are varying claims regarding the origin of Vijayanagaras, more so as a Kannadiga empire than that of Telugus, unlike the confident claims made in earlier posts regarding their origin.

Last edited:

Iamanidiot

You still havent answered why the dynasty name was "Tuluva".
Yup It can also suggest that he is from Coorg but thats just an assumption.May be Tulu is a corrupted form of the word Telugu.But he was very proficient in Telugu that can bee seen in Amuktamalayada

Param

Yup It can also suggest that he is from Coorg but thats just an assumption.May be Tulu is a corrupted form of the word Telugu.But he was very proficient in Telugu that can bee seen in Amuktamalayada
:rofl: ......

Iamanidiot

Tolaha lets slug it out by claiming stakes on the Kings origin that ebate is infinite.At the end of day he saved everyones ass that s important

Tolaha

sir jee... Blind belief is a dangerous thing... Leads us into coming up with funny theories!

Tolaha

Having trouble quoting messages on Opera mobile. Whats the preferred browser for D F I on mobiles?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Kakatiyas fell in 1323, Vijayanagar was founded in 1336. Hardly a few centuries.

The two founders of Vijayanagar, Harihara Raya and Bukka Raya, were both officials under the Kakatiyas before their demise. This is a fact.

However it is also a fact that the Tuluva dynasty was from coastal Karnataka and that the empire was a polyglot and multi-cultural realm.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles