The Syrian Crisis

pmaitra

The entire video has no continuity, either.

Ack-ack? Haven't seen that term since I stopped reading comic books about WWII :)
Pretty old fashioned. It is a common code for communications over radio. "Ack-Ack" fire is easily understood over "AA" fire.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Pretty old fashioned. It is a common code for communications over radio. "Ack-Ack" fire is easily understood over "AA" fire.
Yes. The term originated with British signalmen.:thumb:

Scalieback

Professional
Modern parlance is 'triple A' or Anti-Aircraft-Artillery.

The perspex on a Hind can take 14.5 and 20mm? Really?

pmaitra

Modern parlance is 'triple A' or Anti-Aircraft-Artillery.
The Triple A I know about is the rating system for economies. Given the economic problems in UK and the rest of Europe, I see why you would mention it. :D

The other Triple A is about getting help when your car breaks down (in the US).

The perspex on a Hind can take 14.5 and 20mm? Really?
You made up a lot of numbers there. I mentioned 12.7 mm. Yes, the Mil-24/35 has a titanium alloy hull.

pmaitra

Scalieback

Professional
The Triple A I know about is the rating system for economies. Given the economic problems in UK and the rest of Europe, I see why you would mention it. :D
Guffaw! You should go on stage (and fall down the trapdoor?) ;)

The other Triple A is about getting help when your car breaks down (in the US).
Yep, we don't need to say we're American AA, it's just the AA and not alkies anon.

Can't help it if you don't know the proper parlance though :cool:

You made up a lot of numbers there. I mentioned 12.7 mm. Yes, the Mil-24/35 has a titanium alloy hull.
I said perspex and you said it would take a 23mm to take it down. 14.5mm and 20mm are both in use as AAA ;)
The minimum calibre needed to shoot down a Mil-24/35 has to be a constant volley of 23 mm rounds.

pmaitra

Can't help it if you don't know the proper parlance though :cool:
You've never heard of the term 'Ack-Ack' fire? Well, now you know. :)

I said perspex and you said it would take a 23mm to take it down. 14.5mm and 20mm are both in use as AAA ;)
I was mentioning the largest calibre the Mil-24/35 can take, and that is 12.7 mm. Not only 14.5 mm and 20 mm, but also 40 mm is used as 'Ack-Ack' rounds.

Also, I said it would require a volley of 23 mm to take it down. One round might not be enough.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The ZSU-23-4 "Shilka" is a lightly armored, self-propelled, radar guided anti-aircraft weapon system (SPAAG). The acronym "ZSU" stands for Zenitnaya Samokhodnaya Ustanovka (Russian: Зенитная Самоходная Установка), meaning "anti-aircraft self-propelled mount"; the "23" signifies the bore diameter in millimeters; the "4" signifies the number of gun barrels.
ZSU-23-4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syria: 400 were delivered from USSR.

ZU-23-2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syria - 650

ZSU-23 23MM Antiaircraft Gun

pmaitra

I said about four pages back, when he said he had full confidence in him it meant he was going down the pan ;)
The situation is very fluid, and there is a media blackout in Syrian government forces controlled areas. Damascus has largely been sanitized. We shall have to wait and see what happens in Aleppo.

Scalieback

Professional
You've never heard of the term 'Ack-Ack' fire? Well, now you know. :)
I have heard of it. I remember it from war comics in my youth. Like pom poms, not the ones used by cheerleaders.

A bit more swerving by you I see ;)

I was mentioning the largest calibre the Mil-24/35 can take, and that is 12.7 mm. Not only 14.5 mm and 20 mm, but also 40 mm is used as 'Ack-Ack' rounds.
There's a host of rounds in use as AAA. Please don't say it would take a volley of 23mm when there's plenty of AAA which will take down a Hind.

Once again, I said the perspex of the canopy which may take .50 cal (12.7mm), just

Also, I said it would require a volley of 23 mm to take it down. One round might not be enough.
A lucky hit from 7.62mm could take out the helicopter Jesus Nut: Jesus nut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hind is good, but it's not invincible ;)

Scalieback

Professional
The situation is very fluid, and there is a media blackout in Syrian government forces controlled areas. Damascus has largely been sanitized. We shall have to wait and see what happens in Aleppo.
I won't hold my breath then :)

Maybe those Russian helicopters will be too late ;)

pmaitra

I have heard of it. I remember it from war comics in my youth. Like pom poms, not the ones used by cheerleaders.

A bit more swerving by you I see ;)
Sorry, I am not so much into plastic airsoft guns and comics. :p

There's a host of rounds in use as AAA. Please don't say it would take a volley of 23mm when there's plenty of AAA which will take down a Hind.
I didn't say that.

Once again, I said the perspex of the canopy which may take .50 cal (12.7mm), just
Ok.

A lucky hit from 7.62mm could take out the helicopter Jesus Nut: Jesus nut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perhaps that's what they claim in comics. You can take an AKM (7.62 mm), stand in front of a parked Mil-24/35 and fire away at its canopy, the glass bulbs, the rotor gears, and anything that catches your fancy. Let me know what happens. ;)

Hind is good, but it's not invincible ;)
No, it ain't. Nothing is invincible in this world.

Scalieback

Professional
Sorry, I am not so much into plastic airsoft guns and comics. :p
More diversion. Getting back to the point, you didn't know what the modern term for AA was and now you do ;)

I didn't say that.
You said:
The minimum calibre needed to shoot down a Mil-24/35 has to be a constant volley of 23 mm rounds. It can take 12.7 mm Ack-Ack fire at point blank range with no significant damage.
Sounds very much likeyou did:
Please don't say it would take a volley of 23mm when there's plenty of AAA which will take down a Hind.
Perhaps that's what they claim in comics. You can take an AKM (7.62 mm), stand in front of a parked Mil-24/35 and fire away at its canopy, the glass bulbs, the rotor gears, and anything that catches your fancy. Let me know what happens. ;)
Another throw away comment. It's like bullet proof vests, they aren't. Like bullet proof helmets, they aren't. Like silenced firearms, they aren't. Hind is proof against 12.7, but it isn't invincible.

Luck happens in war you know. Ask Ray or any other soldier :cool:

No, it ain't. Nothing is invincible in this world.
I dunno, maybe the earths core is? However, the main point being anything man manufactured can be destroyed by man and his tools.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
A lucky hit from 7.62mm could take out the helicopter...

Hind is good, but it's not invincible
Mock-up using Puma in Red Dawn:

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Chinese destroyer enters Mediterranean via Suez - Israel News, Ynetnews

Chinese destroyer enters Mediterranean via Suez

Warship crosses through Suez Canal into Mediterranean Sea, possibly en route to Syrian coast for naval maneuvers

A Chinese destroyer sailed through Egypt's Suez Canal into the Mediterranean Sea, Egyptian daily Al-Shuruk reported on Sunday.

The destroyer could be on its way to the Syrian coast, the Egyptian newspaper reported, adding that the warship is planning to hold naval maneuvers in the area.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles