The Syrian Crisis

KS

Bye bye DFI
I thought Assad would crush the rebels...but I was wrong.

The rebels with the active aid of GCC and Turkey are winning. Assad's days are numbered and if captured his death would be too brutal to write in words.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

The rebels with the active aid of GCC and Turkey are winning. Assad's days are numbered and if captured his death would be too brutal to write in words.
Syrian army still has not gone in full force. I believe assad still holds the cards and will kill many scummy wahabis before he goes down ie if he goes down.

pmaitra

We know that it would be veto'ed by russia and china and we also know our votes is meanigless so why stick our neck out when were getting what we want without sticking our neck out ie the resolution getting veto'ed.

good move by us imo.
I agree. I think India is being pragmatic. Cannot be too idealistic all the time.

pmaitra

I think Assad is being stymied out of fear of a media war against him. The West has an edge on this. The only way for Assad, that I can see, is for Russia to deploy its Air Force and provide air support to Assad's ground forces, and show the middle finger to world opinion.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I agree. I think India is being pragmatic. Cannot be too idealistic all the time.
It gives us more chips to bargain with the west by saying "look we voted with you" without actually wanting the resolution to pass.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Syrian army still has not gone in full force. I believe assad still holds the cards and will kill many scummy wahabis before he goes down ie if he goes down.
Truth be told, Assad's power base lies with the Alawites and Christians..both minorities..the rebels have utilised their Sunni tag very well in getting aid from GCC and Turkey.

I think Assad is being stymied out of fear of a media war against him. The West has an edge on this. The only way for Assad, that I can see, is for Russia to deploy its Air Force and provide air support to Assad's ground forces, and show the middle finger to world opinion.
Not going to happen....

Even Russia cant change the demographics of Syria and its neighbors.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
So one more Islamist Nutjob country is being made with the help of the Democratic west :rolleyes:

IBSA

Country flag
Russia should offer exile to Assad if he is near to falls. If Assad stays in a Syria held by rebels, he will has the same sad end of Gadaffi, something the Russia disliked. But I think isn't the right time for Assad leaves out the country.

West committing a mistake removing Assad from Syria. If a Islamist gov take on power in Syria, that is a chemical armed country, they can turns the chemical arsenal against Israel, a West ally. An Islamist Syria is as dangerous as a Islamist Pakistan.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Putin again caught off balance... He should know that he no longer has the sway of the USSR.

pmaitra

Russia should offer exile to Assad if he is near to falls. If Assad stays in a Syria held by rebels, he will has the same sad end of Gadaffi, something the Russia disliked. But I think isn't the right time for Assad leaves out the country.

West committing a mistake removing Assad from Syria. If a Islamist gov take on power in Syria, that is a chemical armed country, they can turns the chemical arsenal against Israel, a West ally. An Islamist Syria is as dangerous as a Islamist Pakistan.
You make a lot more sense than Hillary Clinton.

pmaitra

IF Assad uses chemical weapons, he will use it Syria. If the Islamist FSA use them, they could use them anywhere.

Even is Assad used chemical weapons, the west will be the agent provocateur. They have done everything in their capacity to prevent an end to this civil war.

IBSA

Country flag
Sure, if Assad uses chemical weapons, he will be not the only guilty, because he would been guided till this situation by the West's posture.

Syria is the last defense-line of Iran. If Assad falls, Iran can to thought it will be the next target and increases him conviction that only the bomb can make he safed. A nuclear Iran is a goal that West and Israel, and even Iran allies as Russia and India, wants to avoid.

For this, Putin defends Iran take part on Syria's transition talks, something the USA are against, saying Iran has nothing to add on talks.

So, a possible Assad's fall risks to end in a Islamist chemical Syria and a nuclear Iran, a nightmare for Israel.

Moreover, a Assad's fall can leave Hezbollah alone and weakened without Syria aid, and be a invitation for Israel attacks against the Hezbollah positions in South Lebanon, and start a new conflict round on the border zone.

And more, if Islamists rise to power in Syria, they can to pursuit religious minorities as the alawites, christian and druzes by revenge for their support to Assad or by fundamentalism against their beliefs. This would cause refugees' flees to Lebanon, which is a politically sensible country on demographics changes in their religious communities sizes.

In short, a Assad's fall can be a hazard in the powderkeg Middle East.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
So, a possible Assad's fall risks to end in a Islamist chemical Syria and a nuclear Iran, a nightmare for Israel.

You're forgetting Hezbollah. A much more real threat to Israel than Iran. With Assad gone Hizbollah will have a harder time linking up with Iran for supplies. Besides, you cannot understimiate the strategic value of removing Iran's closest and most powerful ally in the region...

Regarding Assad's chemical weapons, read this: Report: Israel, U.S. in talks over destroying Syria's chemical weapons - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper

IBSA

Country flag
You're forgetting Hezbollah. A much more real threat to Israel than Iran. With Assad gone Hizbollah will have a harder time linking up with Iran for supplies. Besides, you cannot understimiate the strategic value of removing Iran's closest and most powerful ally in the region...

Regarding Assad's chemical weapons, read this: Report: Israel, U.S. in talks over destroying Syria's chemical weapons - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper
I disagree Hezbollah be more threating than Iran. Hezbollah is a guerrilla, not a professional army as Iranian forces. Iran has biggest military capabilities than Hezbollah.

Furthermore, I think Israel should not thought this way: what is bad for Iran, is necessarily good for Israel, and vice versa. See the Golan Hills that Israel disputes with Syria. What Assad done all this time against Israel in that question? No biggie. Who knows if a new gov in Syria would not go to reactive the dispute??

ejazr

Ambassador
The killing Syrian defence military personnel is a serious escalation. But another point to note is that this could not have happened without insider help. An authoritarian regime like Assad's would be very conscious about security so this would indicate that the rebels/CIA/Turkey/GCC e.t.c. have some insider moles that are helping them in eliminating top dogs in the Syrian establishment.

This could have some serious repercussions because the Defence minister was apparently a brother in law of Assads. I truly hope that we don't end up with a situation like Iraq where 1000s of years of history and artifacts were looted or destroyed after Saddam was overthrown. But there is certainly a need of some international internventionist force - even if it is of Russian troops to atleast "Freeze" the violence while negotiations are carried out.

Again, surprised the India choose to vote in favor rather than abstain. And this is the second time India has done so. It looks like MEA has completely put the age-old friendship with the Baathist Syrian regime in the bin and joined the West/GCC/Israel/Turkey bandwagon.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles