The Sikh soldier who will be the first to guard Buckingham Palace

Blackwater

The Sikh soldier who will be the first to guard Buckingham Palace without a bearskin as he'll be wearing a turban instead

The British Army is embroiled in a damaging row after the first Sikh soldier allowed to wear a turban rather than a bearskin on ceremonial duties suffered abuse from his colleagues.
Guardsman Jatinderpal Singh Bhullar, 25, who joined the Scots guards this year, has been given permission to wear a turban outside Buckingham Palace, breaking hundreds of years of tradition.
The decision by Army bosses has proved controversial with Bhullar's fellow soldiers. The Army's Sikh chaplian has told The Mail on Sunday that Bhullar has endured taunts about his turban and his refusal to cut his hair and his beard.

Read more: Sikh soldier Jatinderpal Singh Bhullar who will be the first to guard Buckingham Palace without a bearskin | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Palace guards are from Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards, Scots Guards, Irish Guards and Welsh Guards regiments. Scots Guards must have let Guardsmen Bhullar wear a turban before he was assigned to Buckingham Palace. That he was given that duty is probably just "cultural diversity" at work. The question must be, what requirements do palace guards meet, and did he meet them?

Blackwater

Sikh soldier makes history as he guards Buckingham Palace

Sikh soldier makes history as he guards Buckingham Palace wearing turban instead of traditional bearskin:thumb::thumb::thumb:

A Sikh Guardsman has made history by becoming the first soldier to guard Buckingham Palace without wearing the traditional bearskin.
Jatenderpal Singh Bhullar was pictured taking part in the Changing of the Guard sporting the turban which his religion requires him to wear at all times.
The Scots Guardsman previously said being the first Sikh to mount guard in a turban would be the 'best thing in his life'.

Read more: Sikh soldier makes history as he guards Buckingham Palace wearing turban instead of traditional bearskin | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Blackwater

Re: Sikh soldier makes history as he guards Buckingham Palace

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackwater

Re: Sikh soldier makes history as he guards Buckingham Palace

W.G.Ewald

Professional
He could wear his turban under his bearskin hat and nobody would be the wiser, I think.

abingdonboy

Country flag
He could wear his turban under his bearskin hat and nobody would be the wiser, I think.
The point of a Turban is not just to cover your hair but to make yourself distinguishable as a Sikh. If you are a baptised Sikh or one that wears a Turban then you should be proud of you identity and should not be shamed into hiding it.

W.G.Ewald

Professional

abingdonboy

Country flag
Hardly, this guy just happened to be born in the UK so is serving his nation. If he had been born in India then he'd have joined the IA,

Tronic

That he was given that duty is probably just "cultural diversity" at work.
He's a soldiers, why can't he have an equal chance of landing this duty as any other soldier?

The question must be, what requirements do palace guards meet, and did he meet them?
I would think that question would apply to all soldiers. Why single him out for this question?

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
He's a soldiers, why can't he have an equal chance of landing this duty as any other soldier?

I would think that question would apply to all soldiers. Why single him out for this question?
Normally I try not to answer a question with another question, but why is he singled out for publicity in the first place? Of course he had an equal chance, he got the assignment. Believe me, I do not intend to imply he was unqualified for any reason.

Tronic

Normally I try not to answer a question with another question, but why is he singled out for publicity in the first place?
Because of xenophobes who have made his appointment an issue. If you read the article, you'd know it's not publicity of his choosing.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Yeah he could, but that bearskin looks silly. :taunt:
Maybe the Russian did not think that.

Scots Fusilier Guards at the Battle of the Alma, Crimean War, 20 September 1854

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Cap your nationalism again guys. Understand this: That Buckingham Palace is really a tourist enterprise and those chaps are posing for the tourists. The tourists on the other hand would like to go there really to experience the whole spectacle, royal guards marching, in formation, not moving, etc. But for tourists the rosyal guards should be wearing bearskin or their other traditional uniforms. Remember Disney banning its employees from appearing in public with headscarfs?

So give those Brits a break. They're only trying to earn a living... Maybe that Sikh guy should just voluntarily ask to be transferred to another unit without tourist duties. This would be honourable rather challenging tradition and commercial schemes (I think he is on ego tripping)...

Tronic

Cap your nationalism again guys. Understand this: That Buckingham Palace is really a tourist enterprise and those chaps are posing for the tourists. The tourists on the other hand would like to go there really to experience the whole spectacle, royal guards marching, in formation, not moving, etc. But for tourists the rosyal guards should be wearing bearskin or their other traditional uniforms. Remember Disney banning its employees from appearing in public with headscarfs?

So give those Brits a break. They're only trying to earn a living... Maybe that Sikh guy should just voluntarily ask to be transferred to another unit without tourist duties. This would be honourable rather challenging tradition and commercial schemes (I think he is on ego tripping)...
Don't know what this has got to do with nationalism. He belongs to the Scots Guards who have been appointed to guard the queen. It's just his bad luck that he's got thrust into a controversy by snobby pricks. He didn't ask to guard the queen. All this wouldn't be a problem if the Brits allowed the British Sikh Regiment to be formed. Afterall, the Sikh Regiment is a much more decorated regiment throughout both the world wars than the Scots Guards are anyways.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles