The powers that be : European contribution to security issues in Africa

Tactical Frog

Country flag
That thread is about multiple efforts lead by the powers that be ( France, UK, Germany) in Africa. It gets very little coverage outside specialized circles and that is a shame ( from the point of view of the powers that be ! )

Tactical Frog

Country flag
UK contribution to security in Africa. Note the large contingent in Nigeria. I was not aware of the presence of UK forces in Somalia ( high risk assignment)

Tactical Frog

Country flag
French deployment in Sahel region. Code name "Operation Barkhane". Map from 2014, but deployment and location of bases is the same today.
Goal of the operation : monitor terrorist activities and traffics in a zone larger than Europe itself.
Critical assets : Reaper drones.

Tactical Frog

Country flag
After november 2015 Paris attacks, France requested from its closest ally Germany to support more actively efforts in stabilizing the Sahel region. The Germans responded positively and agreed to deploy troops in Mali, most of them under UN framework (MINUSMA peace keeping operation )
German contingent in Mali should reach 850 troops soon.

Three Heron 1 drone are being deployed (sorry, German only) :

Tactical Frog

Country flag
Official video from French Defence Minister showcasing goals of "Operation Barkhane". Situation not so rosy ...
Very hard to fix things in Sahel with such poverty. Mali is a failed state, Niger is the poorest country on the planet. Economic aid should second military help.

I am otm shank

your thread made me curious so I Googled it...wow.. almost all the articles were about abuse by French forces acting under UN..most if not all of the victims were children

Tactical Frog

Country flag
Scab and rabid dogs exists in every army. If cases are proven, the soldiers involved deserve only degradation and prison.
Personnally I think UN operations in Africa should be terminated and replaced with more efficient systems involving European Union , US and African governments only.
@I am otm shank

IndianHawk

Country flag
Personnally I think UN operations in Africa should be terminated and replaced with more efficient systems involving European Union , US and African governments only.
But US and European do not account for much in numbers of UN troops .
They would fall short in replacing boots on ground. Also without UN mandate any military deployment is pure geopolitics which might put Africans in more misery.

Tactical Frog

Country flag
But US and European do not account for much in numbers of UN troops .
They would fall short in replacing boots on ground. Also without UN mandate any military deployment is pure geopolitics which might put Africans in more misery.
The model I support ( whenever possible) is AMISOM in Somalia. "Boots on the ground" come from neighbouring states . European Union is the main donor to AMISOM through a fund called African Peace Facility.

UN mandate ? Fine with me. But UN peace keeping operations failed so miserably in the past , like in Congo, and still do so. It has to do with incredible corruption and mismanagement.
Still France is only too happy to call UN to the rescue ... that is a recipe for failure ! There must be ways of doing better than this.

http://amisom-au.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/African-Peace-Facility.pdf

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
UK has left Europe so let's keep them out of here, it's already a paralyzed country when comes to strategic autonomy to military inventory.;)
France & Germany lead Europe technologically and economically.

I am otm shank

Scab and rabid dogs exists in every army. If cases are proven, the soldiers involved deserve only degradation and prison.
@I am otm shank
That's true and fair. It's good there's transparency by the French forces that these things come to light and justice can be done so in that regard I applaud the French peacekeeping force for not brushing it under the carpet.

Imo african security should be done by african keepers and if need be the rest of the world should contribute observers at the most but African countries are so hostile each other right now I think that french, Brit etc troops might help the peace more.

Tactical Frog

Country flag
Updating thread after a long break with a piece from the New York Times.
Beautiful photos. Really !

Apparently US administration is considering to drop its support and closing its base in Niger.

Something the NYT is not getting at all :

France just wants to contain the islamist insurgency below a certain threshold, not “win” a war. We can stay like forever in the Sahel region, at the condition we are still wanted there. It is a cost we can afford, and we also know there is no short term solution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/world/africa/france-sahel-west-africa-.html

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
UK has left Europe so let's keep them out of here, it's already a paralyzed country when comes to strategic autonomy to military inventory.;)
France & Germany lead Europe technologically and economically.
In my opinion I want the anti racist anti patriarchal order to collapse and the countries that support it fall in order to put the normies in line and get the meme in their head that these practices are anti civilizational.

Looking at this way we must support the weakening of the eu ehile simultaneously exploiting it while it goes under as they are a big population that supports these degenerate practises in other countries.the us does this as well.so we must support their decline while at the same time pushing it to weaken china as china supported pak.

At the same time china should not completely collapse as it is dealing with Islam in the right way which is good or people will associate goodness with the west which is not true as it was cultural Marxism of the west which is a greater long term threat along with Islam to india.

So it is a balancing act.only maybe eastern European and Russia should be generally supported.

Plans should also be made to destabilize pak and destroy the big brother of Islam in our neighborhood to thin the herd as well as massive strategic policy changes within to limit the power of the Muslim mob in multiple ways.

Edit : as for the Arab world it must be detroyed for the most part till the Arabs have very few powerful actors and the only actors left like Saudi and Iran must be kept on a tight leash through diplomacy and economics and less dependence.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
In my opinion I want the anti racist anti patriarchal order to collapse and the countries that support it fall in order to put the normies in line and get the meme in their head that these practices are anti civilizational.

Looking at this way we must support the weakening of the eu ehile simultaneously exploiting it while it goes under as they are a big population that supports these degenerate practises in other countries.the us does this as well.so we must support their decline while at the same time pushing it to weaken china as china supported pak.
It doesn't what kind of practices they conduct against other nations. With exception of France which usually is too egoistic to give up its autonomy, entire EU is satellite body of USA.

Asian countries could drive themselves up just because Europeans consumed a lot which was produced in Asian industries, and further copying their technologies helped us to hasten time to develop things in just a couple of decades. Things for which Europe itself took centuries.

Most western countries still are among richest in world and should remain stable if East wants to grow. Just their military and strategic capabilities need to demised.

So is with Arab states. Introduction of electric vehicles and substitution of petrol will eventually fail them. But their population growth rate is enough and they still can serve as low end labour (Africa is still too poor to produce even low end human resources) as Asia Pacific moves up ladder to become developed like Europe.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles