The Myth of American Exceptionalism

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Be more specific. Who was creating a wrong impression of vaccine shortage in India? And why is this claim wrong or unfair?
Too big a topic, all events recorded in chinavirus thread.
it's public knowledge, let more eminent people write books, then more things will come out.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I don't think mainstream media companies (Bloomberg, CNBC, CNN, BBC, ABC, NBC, Reuters, AP, etc.) will willingly curry favor for private companies like Pfizer to the detriment of their reputation. I do not get my information outside of reputable sources. I certainly do not get it from Facebook (I'm not active) or crazy "news" (more like misinformation) sites.

Above all, I avoid generalized statements. As much as possible I try to be specific when looking at things.
Oh Please !!!!

CNN scaremongering
Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 12.53.07 PM.png

Govt statement in public domain

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 12.53.18 PM.png

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Too big a topic, all events recorded in chinavirus thread.
it's public knowledge, let more eminent people write books, then more things will come out.

Oh well, I have a hard time believing that mainstream media companies will knowingly coordinate and participate in marketing campaign for private companies like Pfizer.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Oh well, I have a hard time believing that mainstream media companies will knowingly coordinate and participate in marketing campaign for private companies like Pfizer.
It's ok mate. we know that in your case, it's a belief system. and we don't have time to change a belief system of an individual. you are entitled to have your own belief system, as long as it doesn't harm us.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Oh Please !!!!

CNN scaremongering
View attachment 125173
Govt statement in public domain

View attachment 125174
The vaccine shortage due to curtailment of exports by India (to prioritize its own vaccine needs) during that time was very true as far as the Philippines was concerned. Previously ordered AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccines from India were not delivered as scheduled. I know that.

Due to India COVID-19 surge, Philippines lowers vaccination target

This is Philippine news.

Delay in vax delivery experienced worldwide: Galvez

This is the official explanation of the Philippine Government of the delay in Covax vaccines at the time.

Asian countries seek vaccine supplies after India export curbs hit COVAX

This is from Reuters.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The vaccine shortage due to curtailment of exports by India (to prioritize its own vaccine needs) during that time was very true as far as the Philippines was concerned. Previously ordered AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccines from India were not delivered as scheduled. I know that.

Due to India COVID-19 surge, Philippines lowers vaccination target

This is Philippine news.

Delay in vax delivery experienced worldwide: Galvez

This is the official explanation of the Philippine Government of the delay in Covax vaccines at the time.

Asian countries seek vaccine supplies after India export curbs hit COVAX

This is from Reuters.

Does any of the news reports you are referring to, mentions this?
======
U.S. defends restrictions on export of COVID-19 vaccine raw materials amid India's request to lift ban

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
And after a brief review of Indian news at the time, the situation of delayed Covax vaccines in the Philippines was even reported by the Times of India:

Philippines' Covid-19 vaccination drive hit by delivery delays
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...t-by-delivery-delays/articleshow/83396135.cms

But what is not mentioned in his Times of India article is hat the delay was due to delay of delivery from India manufacturers of AstraZeneca Covax.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Does any of the news reports you are referring to, mentions this?
======
U.S. defends restrictions on export of COVID-19 vaccine raw materials amid India's request to lift ban

What you do not consider is that the unforeseen massive Delta wave in India meant that all of a sudden India needs vast amounts of vaccines fast on top of the vaccines it has already contracted for Covax. When India SII all of a sudden ordered more vaccine raw materials the US could not supply more due to domestic needs (understandable).

But due to media pressure, international and American media, the Biden administration finally relented and agreed to loosen export restrictions of these items - Another proof that media is very important in a democracy. Do you think Biden would have relented in loosening vaccine export restrictions without pressure from US and international media?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
What you do not consider is that the unforeseen massive Delta wave in India meant that all of a sudden India needs vast amounts of vaccines fast on top of the vaccines it has already contracted for Covax. When India SII all of a sudden ordered more vaccine raw materials the US could not supply more due to domestic needs (understandable).

But due to media pressure, international and American media, the Biden administration finally relented and agreed to loosen export restrictions of these items - Another proof that media is very important in a democracy. Do you think Biden would have relented in loosening vaccine export restrictions without pressure from US and international media?
This was your quote
Above all, I avoid generalized statements. As much as possible I try to be specific when looking at things.
Wrong.. India's second wave started in second week of March

This news report is of first week of march , raw material ban predated second wave.
https://www.reuters.com/world/india...y-hit-us-raw-materials-export-ban-2021-03-05/

There is no point in going ahead with this conversation, if you keep changing goal posts. you are welcome to go thru chinese virus thread.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This was your quote
That's right.

Wrong.. India's second wave started in second week of March

This news report is of first week of march , raw material ban predated second wave.
https://www.reuters.com/world/india...y-hit-us-raw-materials-export-ban-2021-03-05/

There is no point in going ahead with this conversation, if you keep changing goal posts. you are welcome to go thru chinese virus thread.
There's no debate here mate. The US vaccine exports restrictions were enacted shortly after the assumption of Biden to the Presidency and prior to the outbreak of Delta. It was enacted by Biden to preempt any criticism from Republicans that Democrats do not prioritize America (a common attack line and refrain of Republicans).

But the later intense media coverage on India's second wave pressured US (at the same time giving the Biden administration cover) to finally loosen its vaccines export restrictions.

Media was not currying any favor to private pharmaceutical companies it was simply reporting facts on the ground. On the other hand, a lot of very patriotic Indians felt slighted by the intense media coverage of India's second wave with most thinking it was being made to 1) embarrass India and/or 2) curry favor to Western pharmaceutical companies.,

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
That's right.

There's no debate here mate. The US vaccine exports restrictions were enacted shortly after the assumption of Biden to the Presidency and prior to the outbreak of Delta. It was enacted by Biden to preempt any criticism from Republicans that Democrats do not prioritize America (a common attack line and refrain of Republicans).

But the later intense media coverage on India's second wave pressured US (at the same time giving the Biden administration cover) to finally loosen its vaccines export restrictions.

Media was not currying any favor to private pharmaceutical companies.
so coming back to original point, and all this while, pfizer and moderna were running a PR campaign in India, assisted by western news agencies. domestic vaccine supply was not as alarming as CNN reported.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
so coming back to original point, and all this while, pfizer and moderna were running a PR campaign in India, assisted by western news agencies. domestic vaccine supply was not as alarming as CNN reported.

I don't know where you're getting your gripes in that CNN article. The article was merely saying that the Indian second wave is bad and it's causing vaccine shortage for Covax due to the need of India to prioritize its own needs. All true. I don't see any marketing gimmick here for the US audience and in favor of big pharma.

And do not try to blame again the US for the shortage since as I already explained the Vaccine restrictions was enacted prior to he Delta surge in India.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I don't know where you're getting your gripes in that CNN article. The article was merely saying that the Indian second wave is bad and it's causing vaccine shortage for Covax due to the need of India to prioritize its own needs. All true. I don't see any marketing gimmick here for the US audience and in favor of big pharma.

And do not try to blame again the US for the shortage since as I already explained the Vaccine restrictions was enacted prior to he Delta surge in India.
Nope, that was your post. My original post was CNN scare mongering and Govt public statement for the same time period of Apr 2021.

you introduced blame on India for global supply shortages, that was not my point to begin with.

if you recall, i said let's wait for more eminent people to finish writing their books on chinese virus in India. everything will come out.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Nope, that was your post. My original post was CNN scare mongering and Govt public statement for the same time period of Apr 2021.

you introduced blame on India for global supply shortages, that was not my point to begin with.

if you recall, i said let's wait for more eminent people to finish writing their books on chinese virus in India. everything will come out.
No. You brought out alleged CNN scare mongering on vaccine shortage due to then raging second wave in India. I replied there was nothing unfair about that article since its true that Indian second wave did indeed cause a vaccine shortage since (like the US), India has to priorotize its own people.

Now, am I blaming India for stopping vaccine exports to priorotize Indian demand for vaccines? No! It is perfectly alright for India to do it, in fact all responsible governments would have done the same.

Instead of scapegoating CNN for rour frustrations, you should thank it and other Western media for its excellent coverage of Indua's plight during its second wave that successfully pressured the US to waive export restrictions on vaccines.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
No. You brought out alleged CNN scare mongering on vaccine shortage due to then raging second wave in India. I replied there was nothing unfair about that article since its true that Indian second wave did indeed cause a vaccine shortage since (like the US), India has to priorotize its own people.

Now, am I blaming India for stopping vaccine exports to priorotize Indian demand for vaccines? No! It is perfectly alright for India to do it, in fact all responsible governments would have done the same.

Instead of scapegoating CNN for rour frustrations, you should thank it and other Western media for its excellent coverage of Indua's plight during its second wave that successfully pressured the US to waive export restrictions on vaccines.
Good, now lets look at the dates. what was CNN doing if not scare mongering ?

Govt statement say "No vaccine shortage"- Apr 6th and this was emphasised every week.

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 2.48.26 PM.png

CNN Scaremongering - Apr 18 2021
Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 12.53.07 PM.png

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Good, now lets look at the dates. what was CNN doing if not scare mongering ?

Govt statement say "No vaccine shortage"- Apr 6th and this was emphasised every week.

View attachment 125190

CNN Scaremongering - Apr 18 2021
View attachment 125186

CNN did not made this report up. The shortage was reported by local Indian state health officials quoted in that report:

Rajesh Bhaskar, a health official in Punjab, told CNN last week the state had about 450,000 doses of Covishield and 30,000 doses of Covaxin. The state is home to more than 27 million people, according to the government's latest available statistics. "We want to vaccinate about 100,000 people per day at least, and the current supply is insufficient to meet that demand," he said.
Several districts in Maharashtra, the worst-hit state, had to temporarily suspend vaccination drives, including more than 70 centers in Mumbai that shut last week, according to the state's health minister, Rajesh Tope. Maharashtra had administered more than 11.1 million doses as of Thursday, the most of any Indian states, according to the Indian Ministry of Health.
And then this shortage was widely reported by all other media companies. Even Indian media has alluded to vaccine shortages:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
CNN did not made this report up. The shortage was reported by local Indian state health officials quoted in that report:

And then this shortage was widely reported by all other media companies. Even Indian media has alluded to vaccine shortages:

and those states which claimed shortages were opposition ruled states, was this clarification mentioned in the CNN report?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles