The Movie Recommendation Thread

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
This thread should be used to recommend movies that you might have seen over the years. If you recommend a movie, please give a small jist of the movie without any SPOILERS.

Recently, I have seen many movies that I felt are masterpiece movies. Here goes the list

Memories of Murder (2003)

This is a south-korean movie set in 1980s. In 1986, a young woman is found raped and murdered in a ditch near a field. Soon after, another woman is found raped and murdered in a field. Local detective Park Doo-man, not having dealt with such a serious case before, is overwhelmed; key evidence is improperly collected, the police's investigative methods are suspect, and their forensic technology is near non-existent. Detective Seo Tae-yoon is sent from Seoul to assist them; their methods clash and he is unable to convince them they are dealing with a serial killer until his predictions of another murder come true. He realizes that the killer waits until a rainy night, and only kills women wearing red. You have to watch the movie to see if the Police were able to catch the culrpit. I give 8/10 rating.

Memories of Murder (2003)

The Butterfly Effect (2004)

A young man blocks out harmful memories of significant events of his life. As he grows up, he finds a way to remember these lost memories and a supernatural way to alter his life. I give 8/10 for this movie.

The Butterfly Effect (2004)

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009)

This is a swedish movie based on the novel "Män som hatar kvinnor" by Steig Larsson.

In this movie, a journalist is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing -- or dead -- for forty years by a young female hacker. you have to watch the movie to see whether journalist was successful in solving the murder or missing of the person and the reason behind murder or missing. I give 9/10 for this movie.

death.by.chocolate

Professional
Country flag
The Departed - 2006
9/10

CAST
Leonardo DiCaprio
Matt Damon
Jack Nicholson
Mark Wahlberg
Martin Sheen
Ray Winstone
Vera Farmiga
Anthony Anderson
Alec Baldwin
Kevin Corrigan
James Badge Dale
David O'Hara
Mark Rolston
Robert Wahlberg
Kristen Dalton

Years ago, a powerful Irish mafia figure placed a small selection of his youngest, brightest men into the Massachusetts State Police Academy as cadets. Their purpose is to eventually rise within the prestigious ranks of the state police department, to serve as the eyes and ears of their boss. While somewhere else, a young cadet was assigned with an equally dangerous task: infiltrate the Irish syndicate headed by the man sending in his own to the Massachusetts State Police. Now, one cadet is an up and coming police official with a torn allegiance to his job and to the criminal mastermind that put him there. While the other cadet is the trusted number two of that man, only finding his professional duties are becoming blurred with his current state.

Last edited:

death.by.chocolate

Professional
Country flag
The Hurt Locker - 2008
9/10

CAST
Jeremy Renner
Anthony Mackie
Brian Geraghty
Guy Pearce

An intense portrayal of elite soldiers who have one of the most dangerous jobs in the world: disarming bombs in the heat of combat. When a new sergeant, James, takes over a highly trained bomb disposal team amidst violent conflict, he surprises his two subordinates, Sanborn and Eldridge, by recklessly plunging them into a deadly game of urban combat. James behaves as if he's indifferent to death. As the men struggle to control their wild new leader, the city explodes into chaos, and James' true character reveals itself in a way that will change each man forever

StealthSniper

Honestly guys and girls, if you want to watch engaging and meaningful movies watch anything from Will Smith. I think all the movies he has made are great and I recommend you watch Seven Pounds and Pursuit of Happiness.

Also watch the movie called MOON and as Death by chocolate has mentioned watch The Departed. I will give more recommendations later.

plugwater

This is a swedish movie based on the novel "Män som hatar kvinnor" by Steig Larsson.

In this movie, a journalist is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing -- or dead -- for forty years by a young female hacker. you have to watch the movie to see whether journalist was successful in solving the murder or missing of the person and the reason behind murder or missing. I give 9/10 for this movie.

This is a great movie. But try to watch remaining two movies in the millennium trilogy. third movie is watchable but the second one is crap.

The Girl Who Played with Fire (2009)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (2009)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ok, its been ages since i saw a movie in a "theater close to me". Whats a good deal?

niharjhatn

Heat

Crime thriller involving Al Pacino + De Niro... probably the quintiessential crime film.

Seven Samurai

1954 Japanese movie, black and white, plot is kinda like Sholay (very roughly) - bandits attacking a village, but with Samurai instead. Great humour, action, plot... incredible they made such an epic movie so soon after ww2.

Pulp Fiction
Tarantino's finest film, if you haven't seen this, you would have missed many references to it in other media. A movie so awesome, it isn't even presented in a chronological fashion, and jumps between chapters which are in slightly different time frames. Expect lots of violence and black humour.

Last edited:

proud_indian

Country flag
Thelma and Louise (drama)

Good Will Hunting (drama)

Let me in (Horror)

Some Like It Hot (comedy)

Zebra

Country flag
Hidalgo , 2004 movie - directed by Jonston , ( set in 1890 ) .

Based on the legend of the American distance rider ( Frank Hopkins ) and his mustang - Hidalgo .

A cow boy and his mustang enter an annual 3000 mile survival race across Najd desert region , a race traditionally restricted to pure Arabian horses .

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
He is talking about a movie on at the Cinemas. JEEZUZ

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Friends with Benefits - if only for Mila Kunis :D

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011