The largest migration we are going to witness, Chunyun in China!

nimo_cn

Country flag
Chunyun, (traditional Chinese: 春運; simplified Chinese: 春运; pinyin: Chūnyùn), also referred to as Spring Festival travel season, or Chunyun period, is a period of travel in China with extremely high traffic load around the time of the Chinese New Year. The period usually begins 15 days before the Lunar New Year's Day and lasts for around 40 days. The number of passenger journeys during the Chunyun period has exceeded the population of China, hitting 2.26 billion in 2008.[1] For comparison, this equals the number of rail journeys undertaken in the UK during the entire 2005-2006 year.[2] It has been called the largest annual human migration in the world.[3] Rail transport experiences the biggest challenge during the period, and a myriad of social problems have emerged.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chunyun

Chunyun in 2011 is going to begin at January 19th and end at February 27th. It is estimated that Chinese railway is gonna transport over 230 million passengers during these 40 days. Hate to say it, but I am going to be one of the 230 million.

God bless me!

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag

2011 January 11th, Shijiazhuang, Heibe province.

Dozens of college students stayed up all night at the railway station to get the tickets, some of them even took books with them so that they could prepare for the final examination while waiting for tickets.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No production in factories during this time. I had to plan my import to tide over this. Happy holidays to all our chinese members.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I can't wait for the new year. The streets of GZ will be EMPTY!

nimo_cn

Country flag
All these places are worked by migrants.... they go the hell home.
First, Most peasant workers work in the factories located in the suburban area, their interim departure won't affect people density in the downtown.

Second, GZ is quite a popular tourism destination during Spring Festival due to its warm weather in winter. Many people will come to and stay in GZ during the holidays. I am pretty sure the streets in GZ is gonna be bustling just like it always to be.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Some pictures which tell the truth about Chunyun between 2000 and 2010

A womon is trying to get into the train through the window,2000

The girl's eyes tell us she really wanted to go home, 2001

Some one died on his way home, 2000

They had been standing and waiting in the queue for so long, they were so tired, some of them got asleep while standing, in Guangzhou, 2001

The baby is sleeping on his way home, 2002

Everyone is tired in the compartment, 2003

A child is sleeping on the table in the train while his parents are playing poker, 2008

Children who are happy because they are going home and adult who is worrying maybe because he failed to get a seat in the train, 2006 Guangzhou

People are sitting on the floor, 2005

nimo_cn

Country flag

People who are anxious to go home and people who is maintaining order, 2007 Guangzhou

Crowds outside the train station, 2008

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
They all look tired, cold, poor and some of them dont even have bags to carry their stuff! It must be hard to leave home and work in far off places just to make ends meet! Everyone here is also going home for the Harvest season so i wonder how Indias mass migration back to the villages compares to this.!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
First, Most peasant workers work in the factories located in the suburban area, their interim departure won't affect people density in the downtown.

Second, GZ is quite a popular tourism destination during Spring Festival due to its warm weather in winter. Many people will come to and stay in GZ during the holidays. I am pretty sure the streets in GZ is gonna be bustling just like it always to be.
All the street shops are migrants, all the chain shops are worked by migrants, GZ is a town of migrants. Once they leave, business comes to a halt. You better stock up because it will be hard to go shopping. I know I will.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles