'The Lady" goes on trial in Burma

Sailor

Burma's opposition leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, has been spending the past few days inside Insein Prison - and her trial is being watched with concern by the international community and fear and apprehension inside the country. All foreign journalists are barred from Burma - so our correspondent in Rangoon must remain anonymous - for his own safety.

There are very few people in Burma willing to talk to a stranger about politics, let alone Aung San Suu Kyi.

Across this country she is spoken about in hushed tones and even then only referred to as "the lady" in English.

She became an icon of the pro-democracy movement more than two decades ago, but has spent 13 of those years locked up under house arrest.

Security outside her home at 54, University Avenue Road, is normally tighter than a military base, but in the last few days it has been possible to drive past and even film, as the "lady" has been moved to Insein Prison outside Rangoon.

Good luck Aung San Suu Kyi,

Sailor

I know that it was only a no account Aussie that put this post up this morning, but here it is again because only 2 members looked at it twelve hours ago.
I think this brave lady deserves better than that.

Auberon

I know that it was only a no account Aussie that put this post up this morning, but here it is again because only 2 members looked at it twelve hours ago.
I think this brave lady deserves better than that.
I read it in the newspaper mate.

And my personal view, which is probably incorrect given my limited knowledge of how stuff works in the top echelons of power , is that India should have supported a pro-democratic govt. in Myanmar, and even now should exert pressure on the Junta upto and including covert and if needed as a last resort , which probably will be, given the junta's disposition, military ops to restore democracy there. Its a military junta govt., its right in our backyard, its sucking up to China, and most importantly, its screwing up the people in a way that makes Mugabe look benevolent, it is our responsibility to do more than the pathetic little we'v done so far.

Off topic btw, my maternal great-grandpa was a bigamist Burmese resident, I still got cousins there :blum3:

dave lukins

Professional
The poor Lady has spent the last 13 years under house arrest and this guy , John Yettaw, has not helped her cause one iota. He even gave her a bible. That could end up being a very 'expensive' book. We can all protest but Burma has deaf ears when it come to internal affairs. They know that the World is watching, they will be condemned if rough justice is seen as licentious to the outside world...We must wait and see. I also wonder how the Americans will react to one of their citizens being held and sentenced.

Sailor

Before I was married, I used to take out a brown Burmese girl with black shiny hair down to her waist.

How about that American guy that swam over to her house. What did he do Dave?

And [gasp] a Bible, how horrible!

Sailor

Elder statesmen call for Suu Kyi's release
Tue May 26, 2009 4:39pm IST

LONDON (Reuters) - A group of former world leaders and Nobel peace laureates called on Tuesday for the release of Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

The group, known as the Elders and founded by South Africa's Nelson Mandela, said their fellow group member Suu Kyi should be freed on Wednesday as her latest 6-year period of house arrest is due to expire.

The group's chairman, Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa, said Suu Kyi was a symbol of hope for her nation and the world.

"We are moved by her courage and dignity. She shows the same steel as Nelson Mandela, who endured 27 years in prison. Like him, she has right and goodness on her side," he said in a statement released during a meeting of the group in Morocco.

Suu Kyi's trial for violating the terms of her house arrest entered its second week on Monday. The Nobel Peace laureate, 63, had been due for release on Wednesday after 6 years under house arrest, but was re-arrested earlier this month following an uninvited visit to her house by a U.S. citizen.

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter said: "Aung San Suu Kyi is a hero for those who believe in human rights and democracy."

The Elders, who are meeting in Marrakech, kept an empty chair for Suu Kyi, as is usual at their meetings.

The Elders urged governments in South East Asia to make it clear to Myanmar's leaders that their actions were jeopardising the legitimacy of elections due in 2010, the statement said.

Pintu

I agree with Auberon here, and I personally believe Government of India should support a Democratic Government in Myanmar rather than a Military Junta and same way press release for the Popular Mass Leader who is under house arrest. Same way our backyard became a playground for PRC.

Regards

Auberon

Transcript of the Channel 4 News article on the detention and trial of Aung San Suu Kyi, 26 May 2009.

Jon Snow: The Burmese democracy leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, has denied breaking the terms of her house arrest on the first occasion she’s taken the stand during her trial.

She was charged by the military regime after an American managed to swim to her home and spend the night there.

Miss Suu Kyi, who faces five years in prison, said she had not immediately known about the late night visit, but had been told about it later by her assistant.

Sue Turton reports.

Sue Turton (ST): Behind the gates of this maximum security prison Aung San Suu Kyi took the witness stand, the first time she’s given evidence against the charge that she broke the terms of a house arrest that’s kept her locked away for thirteen of the past nineteen years. A tiny figure with a huge democratic following who the military rulers believe poses an enormous threat.
John Yettaw, the American the regime is blaming for this trial and for the threat again to her liberty, was also in court. The military generals say the two occasions he swam across the lake to get to her house was a stunt designed to embarrass the regime.
The British Ambassador was in court to hear her side.

Mark Canning (UK Ambassador to Burma): She rebutted very firmly the suggestion that she knew anything about this. Her point was that this had been inflicted on her. She said at one point if you want to know why he left the stuff in my house why don’t you ask because he was, he was seated no more than ten feet from her.

ST: What was her, her demeanour and her health? It’s been reported that she’s not in the best of health. What, what was your sense?

Mark Canning: She’s been through a terrible ordeal. Two decades of, of pressure and many years of imprisonment. Given that, I think she looks remarkably robust. But she was very authoritative when she was answering the judge’s questions. She spoke to us when she came in at the beginning and also when she left to say that she greatly appreciated the visible indication of our support.

ST: Mrs Suu Kyi’s house bound detention was due to end tomorrow, but today the Chief of Police told diplomats that they’d now come to a different calculation and her five year imprisonment wouldn’t be over until November.
But some of Burma’s neighbouring Foreign Ministers in Hanoi for a conference with their European counterparts are seeing this latest trial as a cynical attempt to silence her during next year’s elections.

Bill Rammell: I detect a change in tone, certainly from the Asian neighbours. Whereas previously the first point of reference was always this is a matter for Burma, it’s a matter of sovereignty, there’s now a willingness to recognise that what Burma is doing actually has costs for the rest of the region.

ST: On the record the Thai authorities have said they have grave concerns about the new charge against her, saying it threatens the ruling junta’s honour and stability.

Even China is reported to have adopted a more critical tone than usual, adding its voice to the UN’s call for all political prisoners to be released.

Mark Canning: I think they are taken aback by the scale of the criticism that they have provoked by putting her on, on trial. They have elevated her own status. It has shown just what a major figure she remains. Having said all that I think it is likely, more than likely that she will find, be found guilty.

ST: If that happens she faces a further five years in jail.
Latest news

dave lukins

Professional
I see Pres. Obama has voiced his opinion......President Obama called on Tuesday for her "immediate and unconditional" release.....and I agree with him 100%. She was unaware of the 'visit' and only found out when her assistant told her.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles