The Irrelevance of India's Rise as a Military Power

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
The Irrelevance of India's Rise as a Military Power

Dr. Stephen P. Cohen (Senior Fellow in Foreign Policy, Brookings Institution) discusses India's rise to global "great power" status, but also the limitations and challenges it faces in using its modernizing military given the country's domestic political context and the nature of its strategic position with respect to its most likely potential adversaries.

*note: this video presents materials that are part of the ACDIS Focal Point graduate seminar course, fall 2009, on "Science, Technology, and Security: New Institutions to Manage Global Security in the 21st Century."

Video length: 54 mins. 55 secs.
Topics include: Indian military reform; Indian military and defense structure; Indian civil-military relations; India-Pakistan relations; India-China relations; nuclear deterrence

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Follow the link.cant embed it here.

A.V.

ok got that thanks ....................

truthfull

AV i know you are a senior military general plz tell and reply about the i have posted a new thread 1962 war ,Role of indian political leadership and its consequences.

truthfull

plz follow that thread we want to read some interesting masala.

BunBunCake

AV i know you are a senior military general plz tell and reply about the i have posted a new thread 1962 war ,Role of indian political leadership and its consequences.
lol??
He's not a senior mil general XD. He's a doctor? (unless he lied to me =xD)

@ajtr, thanks for the video. The guy was a very professional. I wouldn't disagree on one thing he said.
India doesn't need to be a military power! We don't need to bully the world with nukes like other countries. Bring our economy up, more NRI's. Spread our culture.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
UchihaCG,
^^ India was attacked only when it was militarily weak and lost its independence.India sure need strong military to protect itself from external attacks.As for Dr. Cohen he is another closet pakistan apologist.If you read his works then you will realize it.He is like Christine Fair who blows hot and cold in favor of pakistan.What Cohen suggest that india must show magnanimity towards pakistan and offer kashmir on platter to it and on another dispute he speaks in favor of pakistan is indus river .where there is no dispute at all but its created by pakistan out of thin air.The indus water treaty allocates 80% of indus basin water to pakistan and only 20% to india .even then pakistan is shouting that IWT is not fair to pakistan.Please go through this thread to understand it.

Pakistan misleading its people about india stealing indus water,beating war drums

And

Indus Water Treaty

threadbrowser

While many of his conclusions may be overly negative towards India & uncomfortable for us to hear, he is right about one thing: the lack of jointness in the indian military. The three forces do not play well with each other, have different procurement priorities and understand the strategic picture in the region differently. There is little or no traction towards an integrated joint ops approach.
He also correctly indentifies the fact that most our pols see defence policy dimly if at all, their main desire seeming to be to get as much in the way of defence scams going as possible.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles