The Indian Army’s ‘School Of Jungle Warfare’ Is The Best In The World But People Hardly Know About I

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
The Indian Army’s ‘School Of Jungle Warfare’ Is The Best In The World But People Hardly Know About It

The Mizo Militancy in the 1960s made the Indian government and the Indian Army realize that soldiers should be trained for extreme jungle warfare. Hence, the Counter-Insurgency and Jungle Warfare(CIJW) School was established. It’s a pity, however, that most Indians don’t know about its existence, let alone knowing why it’s the best in the world. Here’s everything you need to know about the best all-terrain warfare prep academy in the world.

1) Originally setup as the Jungle Warfare School in 1967 under the guidance of the legendary Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw, the academy was renamed as Eastern Command Counter Insurgency Training School in 1968.

2) It was only in 1970 that CIJW was permanently relocated to Variegate, Mizoram, and named Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School. It hasn’t been moved since.

3) The troops are trained to live in war-like difficult conditions and hostile terrain, eat and sleep like the guerrillas, and even attack as ferociously and silently as them.

4) Primarily trained in counter-ambush skills, the soldiers are taught field craft and jungle craft to remain as undetected as possible in the forests. Jungle craft is infamous for testing the limits of the soldiers.

5) The soldiers are made to study the jungle in its most natural state analysing its characteristics such as dense vegetation with limited visibility, heavy cross compartmentalization, streams, rivers, heat & humidity, and other aspects such as difficult tracks and limited communication.

6) Over 7000 soldiers from para military forces, police services and international armies are trained every year.

7) Soldiers are extensively trained in improvised explosive devices (IED), jungle survival, counter terrorism, and interrogation techniques.

8) Not only is the physical and tactical aspect looked upon closely, soldiers are also trained in overall war IQ development with the help of group discussions, case studies and sand model exercises.

9) The school also excels in soldier behavioral research that is said to be the best in the world here. It also boasts of the best war training facilities with 13 fire ranges and competent instructors who are war veterans.

10) Being the best in the world, the academy regularly receives armies from United States, Singapore, Nepal, Bhutan, Russia, United Kingdom, Israel, France and Bangladesh who come over for training.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@jackprince @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Rowdy @alphacentury @sydsnyper @anupamsurey @VIP
@Razor @brational @Bangalorean @Mad Indian @cobra commando @hit&run @Blackwater
@ersakthivel @OneGrimPilgrim @Vishwarupa @Srinivas_K @Kunal Biswas

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Actually the guys here know about it. AFAIK 3-4yrs back some US Spec Ops guys came for training and was overwhelmed by it.

And for the common men, they hardly even know about ghataks despite there being a whole fantastic movie on it- Prahar with Nana Patekar at lead.

aliyah

we have many best things just need a good public relation agency

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
My friend's brother is in army, he's a radio transmission operator. He told us about this school and foreign soldiers are getting training there, he told us our military training is overall one of the best but problem is at high ranks, they're very much corrupt and make lots of money in weapon deals. Well, I don't know about his 2nd claim if it's true or not.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
My friend's brother is in army, he's a radio transmission operator. He told us about this school and foreign soldiers are getting training there, he told us our military training is overall one of the best but problem is at high ranks, they're very much corrupt and make lots of money in weapon deals. Well, I don't know about his 2nd claim if it's true or not.
I know what you are talking about. I know couple of ex-servicemen - one from Navy another from AF. They have utter disdain for the brass. A couple of their comments will make you believe they loath the officer corps. What they say is that the most of the officers treat the ratings as serfs with unfue patronage to favouritism to what not. They make the joke of Money Earing Service -MEA, which btw is actually called Military Engineering Service. If the navy and AF guys think of the officer corps like that, what do the jawans think of army officers?

Anyway, its off topic. Lets move on.

anupamsurey

Country flag
tell that to Pakis, they still believe that they control Siachin, and they (their fool generals) also say that they made Indian army to abandon their posts in siachin. and some Paki still cry on environmental issues, like some sissies and want us to leave (tech, term demilitarize siachin).
Pakis are full with hypocrisy, we must create avalanches in siachin to give proper funeral to paki jahil army.:india:

Blood+

Country flag
One of the best - yes!!But THE BEST IN THE WORLD - that is highly debatable!!There is no such thing as best in this case since no two jungles are the same!!Like jungles in Africa or in the South America is or even in the Sunder-bans are totally different from the one in the NE,where the CIJWS is situated!!So a guy,trained in the jungles of south Asia will find the jungle of Africa to be totally alien.There are a host of other things involved,so naming the CIJWS to be the best in the world is outright propaganda to say the least.

blueblood

I know what you are talking about. I know couple of ex-servicemen - one from Navy another from AF. They have utter disdain for the brass. A couple of their comments will make you believe they loath the officer corps. What they say is that the most of the officers treat the ratings as serfs with unfue patronage to favouritism to what not. They make the joke of Money Earing Service -MEA, which btw is actually called Military Engineering Service. If the navy and AF guys think of the officer corps like that, what do the jawans think of army officers?

Anyway, its off topic. Lets move on.
That's weird, plenty of ex-servicemen work in my firm, none from IAF or IN though. I never heard such things from them. "Utter disdain" is too strong an expression.

From what I have gathered, most of them have respect for officers in varying degrees.

blueblood

@Blood+, there is a reason why I keep begging people to stop posting idrw articles. Its content feels like its written by a bunch of drunk teenagers.

Please don't bring down the quality of discourse on this forum any further. "We are the best" is not our thing. Leave that to Porkis and Chinis.

@rock127, the pic is of CRPF COBRA somewhere in Chhattisgarh.

@anupamsurey,

1st pic - Yudh Abyas in US.

3rd pic - M-16, so probably not Indian or CIJWS?

4rd pic - Indonesians at CIJWS for Garud Shakti.

Again, to all the members here, I respectfully urge you to stop posting content from IDRW.

indiandefencefan

Country flag

Guys can anyone tell me what gun this soldier is holding ??
doesn't look like M4 due to shape of magazine and rear sights.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
now all we need is for their netas to be equally the best in the world ! or at least:-

to be better than,
when our jawans are within 3 or 4 days of victory ....... to give
the gains paid for by blood , life and limb back to certain ungrateful and inimical neighbour(s)

ref @Yusuf
@LETHALFORCE @jackprince @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @Kunal Biswas@pmaitra @cobra commando @hit&run @Blackwater @ersakthivel
@Rowdy @rock127 @indiandefencefan @anupamsurey @VIP @Razor @brational @Bangalorean @Blood+

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
@Blood+, there is a reason why I keep begging people to stop posting idrw articles. Its content feels like its written by a bunch of drunk teenagers.

Please don't bring down the quality of discourse on this forum any further. "We are the best" is not our thing. Leave that to Porkis and Chinis.

@rock127, the pic is of CRPF COBRA somewhere in Chhattisgarh.

@anupamsurey,

1st pic - Yudh Abyas in US.

3rd pic - M-16, so probably not Indian or CIJWS?

4rd pic - Indonesians at CIJWS for Garud Shakti.

Again, to all the members here, I respectfully urge you to stop posting content from IDRW.

I KNOW ITS CRPF COBRA Commandos and they also got trained at CIJW. Do you even know that?

I do check a bit before posting or else you would have seen any random unrelated pic from internet.I like that pic so posted instead of a not so good pic of a soldier who is in mud and we cant even see him and his weapons properly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commando_Battalion_for_Resolute_Action
Cobras are trained in the Army’s elite Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School in Mizoram and CRPF's anti terrorist school inSilchar. They are adept in the art of camouflage and jungle warfare.Some regiments of CoBRA are given halo jump training like the parachute regiment. Their role is to carry out reconnaissance and long range patrols, gather intelligence on the whereabouts of the insurgents, and also carry out ambushes and precision strikes when required. Their sniper teams can also be used to headshot key targets.CoBRA members are assigned to an Army unit for six months following their basic training. After this, they may be assigned to counter-Naxal activities.
Now when the "Best in the World" armies(US/Israel/France/Russia/UK et al) can come here and get training we are supposed to be the best.Now if all you have to do is our Armed Forces to think "We are the second best" then keep it to yourself.Our Armed Forces are indeed having the best of the soldiers and best in the world in few things if not all.

Instead of being proud that we do have something best in the world you are coming here and claiming IDRW is run by some fanboys then you are grossly wrong.

I urge all members here to ignore the above quoted post where we can't even think of being "best" in anything.

@pmaitra @Yusuf @Kunal Biswas : Please take a note of this.

Last edited:

indiandefencefan

Country flag
That is good old M16, the father of M4.
If it is an M16 then it must be one of the oldest variants such as an M16A1 it looks worn out with a bent top handle.
Any idea why it is still being used especially as the old M16s used to malfunction in water in vietnam ?

blueblood

I KNOW ITS CRPF COBRA Commandos and they also got trained at CIJW. Do you even know that?

I do check a bit before posting or else you would have seen any random unrelated pic from internet.I like that pic so posted instead of a not so good pic of a soldier who is in mud and we cant even see him and his weapons properly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commando_Battalion_for_Resolute_Action

Now when the "Best in the World" armies(US/Israel/France/Russia/UK et al) can come here and get training we are supposed to be the best.Now if all you have to do is our Armed Forces to think "We are the second best" then keep it to yourself.Our Armed Forces are indeed having the best of the soldiers and best in the world in few things if not all.

Instead of being proud that we do have something best in the world you are coming here and claiming IDRW is run by some fanboys then you are grossly wrong.

I urge all members here to ignore the above quoted post where we can't even think of being "best" in anything.

@pmaitra @Yusuf @Kunal Biswas : Please take a note of this.
Dude I know that CoBRA are trained in CIJWS. Same goes for most CAPFs. Point is if you want to post a pics related to CIJWS, posting the ones from Chhattisgarh is not a good idea.

Harping "we are the best" puts us right beside the porkis and chinis. We are what we are. Our forces are very good at their job and world knows it. We don't need to shout that at the top our lungs five times a day. There are chini trolls running around religiously repeating J-20 is far superior to F-22.

Here is an example of the picture you are presenting. Can you see their sheer insecurity? Please don't equate us with them. Come on man, you are too senior to fall for this.

As for we are the "best" because rest are coming to train here. A Lt. Colonel from Kumaon Regiment is under going training right now in Fort Lee, Virginia, US along with two other officers as we speak. That in no way certifies the capability of US Army to wage and win war.

Even today IA sends its officers for training in Sandhurst and every year police officers from across India go to London for year long training with the Met. Special Group trains in Israel. What do make of that? This is how modern militaries work.

India army boost of 264 artillery regiments. but most of them are equipped with 70’s era 105mm Indian field Gun which are complemented by 130mm M-46 howitzer guns Supplied by the Soviet union in 60’s while these howitzer guns have been upgraded to 155 mm standard now. but this upgraded equipment simply cannot compete with modern Computer aided artillery howitzer guns in today’s modern warfare.

http://idrw.org/indian-armys-artillery-modernisation-plans-limping-back-to-normalcy/
Pulling a figure of 264 regiments out of your ass is way beyond wrong. This my friend is the standard of IDRW.

rohit b3

Country flag
True bro. I had more than an hour's conversation with a guy from the signalling department of the Indian army in Kashmir.
He told us the same thing. High level of corruption among the Top brass. He told me that enough money is supplied by the Government, but it doesn reach the lower brass.
Infact, they are asked to use the same uniform for 2 years, which offcourse , barely lasts even for a few months, though their training and daily activities.
He told me that they end up buying uniforms after every 6 months or so, from their own pockets.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles