The Curse of Being a Pakistani

Iamanidiot

Old joke by me but new rendition

Lal Topi to Blackwater Phaaji: Don't you know Iam the son of a Sher.Grr!!!

Blackwater Phaaji to Lal Toopi:Acchah!,Acchah!Did your mother go the Jungle? or the Sher came to your house ?

Blackwater

Old joke by me but new rendition

Lal Topi to Blackwater Phaaji: Don't you know Iam the son of a Sher.Grr!!!

Blackwater Phaaji to Lal Toopi:Acchah!,Acchah!Did your mother go the Jungle? or the Sher came to your house ?
No it was an awara pagal dog named sheru who came to his mother house then stayed for night:taunt1::taunt1::taunt1::scared2::scared2::lol:

Aayush

^Make a like button for iPhone
Please.I want to like the dog picture

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
People carry the body of a Pakistani acid attack victim Fakhra Younus, at Karachi airport in Pakistan.—AP Photo

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani acid attack victim Fakhra Younus had endured more than three dozen surgeries over more than a decade to repair her severely damaged face and body when she finally decided life was no longer worth living.

The 33-year-old former dancing girl – who was allegedly attacked by her then-husband, an ex-parliamentarian and son of a political powerhouse – jumped from the sixth floor of a building in Rome, where she had been living and receiving treatment.

Her March 17 suicide and the return of her body to Pakistan on Sunday reignited furor over the case, which received significant international attention at the time of the attack. Her death came less than a month after a Pakistani filmmaker won the country's first Oscar for a documentary about acid attack victims.

Younus' story not only drives home the woeful plight of many women in conservative Muslim Pakistan, it is also a reminder of how the country's rich and powerful operate with impunity. Younus' ex-husband, Bilal Khar, was eventually acquitted, but many believe he used his connections to escape the law's grip – a common occurrence in Pakistan.

More than 8,500 acid attacks, forced marriages and other forms of violence against women were reported in Pakistan in 2011, according to The Aurat Foundation, a women's rights organization. Because the group relied mostly on media reports, the figure is likely an undercount.

"The saddest part is that she realized that the system in Pakistan was never going to provide her with relief or remedy," Nayyar Shabana Kiyani, an activist at The Aurat Foundation, said of Younus.

"She was totally disappointed that there was no justice available to her."

Younus was a teenage dancing girl working in the red light district of the southern city of Karachi when she met her future husband, the son of Ghulam Mustafa Khar, a former governor of Pakistan's largest province, Punjab. The unusual pairing was the younger Khar's third marriage. He was in his mid-30s at the time.

The couple was married for three years, but Younus eventually left him because he allegedly physically and verbally abused her. She claimed that he came to her mother's house while she was sleeping in May 2000 and poured acid all over her in the presence of her five-year-old son from a different man.

Tehmina Durrani, Ghulam Mustafa Khar's ex-wife and his son's stepmother, became an advocate for Younus after the attack, drawing international attention to the case. She said that Younus' injuries were the worst she had ever seen on an acid attack victim.

"So many times we thought she would die in the night because her nose was melted and she couldn't breathe," said Durrani, who wrote a book about her own allegedly abusive relationship with the elder Khar.

"We used to put a straw in the little bit of her mouth that was left because the rest was all melted together."

She said Younus, whose life had always been hard, became a liability to her family, for whom she was once a source of income.

"Her life was a parched stretch of hard rock on which nothing bloomed," Durrani wrote in a column in The News after Younus' suicide.

Younus' ex-husband grew up in starkly different circumstances, amid the wealth and power of the country's feudal elite, and counts Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar as a cousin.

Bilal Khar once again denied carrying out the acid attack in a TV interview following her suicide, suggesting a different man with the same name committed the crime. He claimed Younus killed herself because she didn't have enough money, not because of her horrific injuries, and criticized the media for hounding him about the issue.

"You people should be a little considerate," said Khar. "I have three daughters and when they go to school people tease them."

Younus was energized when the Pakistani government enacted a new set of laws last year that explicitly criminalized acid attacks and mandated that convicted attackers would serve a minimum sentence of 14 years, said Durrani. She hoped to return someday to get justice once her health stabilized.

"She said, 'When I come back, I will reopen the case, and I'll fight myself,' and she was a fighter," Durrani said.

Durrani had to battle with both Younus' ex-husband and the government to send her to Italy, where the Italian government paid for her treatment and provided her money to live on and send her child to school. Pakistani officials argued that sending Younus to Italy would give the country a bad name, Durrani said.

Younus was happy when Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy won an Oscar for her documentary about acid attack victims in February, but was worried about being forgotten since she wasn't profiled in the film, said Durrani.

Durrani said Younus' case should be a reminder that the Pakistani government needs to do much more to prevent acid attacks and other forms of violence against women, and also help the victims.

"I think this whole country should be extremely embarrassed that a foreign country took responsibility for a Pakistani citizen for 13 years because we could give her nothing, not justice, not security," said Durrani.

http://www.dawn.com/2012/03/28/prominent-pakistani-acid-victim-commits-suicide.html

Read the comments too!

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Do you guys realize how childish this is? Yes, Pakistan is the root of many problems in the world today and hence it is not surprising that Pakistan and Pakistanis are viewed with suspicion and derision. However taking joy in the misery of millions of non radicalized Pakistanis who are caught up in this mess is childish. It is unfortunate that many of you don't realize that the aspirations of non radicalized urban Pakistanis aren't any different from yours.

lamanidiot said:
Pakis have more similarities with simians than Humans
Really? Dehumanizing all Pakistanis makes you happy? Does saying this put a smile on your face? Surely you must have better things to feel good about than something so tawdry.

Collective punishment is a terrible thing and only acceptable as long as you are not on the receiving end.

To me this thread (which has been made a sticky) reflects very poorly on the forum because by default it indicates that there is no intention to conduct unbiased rational debate of any kind, because all precedence is given to immature populist drivel. :nono:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Energon,

We are not doing anything to the "non radical" Pakistanis if at all, but trying to bring out their plight of being a Pakistani.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
'Where are you from?' is generally the first question people here in the Emirates will ask you. That is because with people from over a 100 nationalities settled in the UAE, this is quite literally, the melting pot of cultures – (melting pot of course would also refer to soaring mercury levels!)

When you meet people through work, or friends or merely at the park or at a mosque and if you do strike a friendship, this question, like I said features quite early in the conversation. The other day, I met a girl at the mosque and when I asked where she was from, she said, "I was born and bred in the UAE and have been here all my life." I could easily make out that she wasn't a local Emarati, so I wondered aloud if she was in fact a local. To this the girl replied abashedly and almost grinding her teeth, "Well, my parents hail from Pakistan, but I've never really lived there," she added defensively. So the girl was a Pakistani herself, because as is common knowledge, Arab countries do not grant their nationality upon you even you've lived in their country for generations, or if indeed you are born on their lands.

In a place like the United States or Canada, where one does eventually receive citizenship, many Pakistanis with foreign passports refer to themselves as 'Americans' or 'Canadians'. A Pakistani woman I know who settled in Sydney a few years ago insists that she hails from Down Under. I personally don't understand this. Just because someone owns something other than that green passport, does it change their roots?

I have often come across Western educated Pakistanis who after being born and brought up in the Pakistan have left it and have settled in the US or UK. They now read Urdu with a perplexed expression on their faces, almost as though it were 'cool' to stutter whilst reading Urdu, because you 'forgot' it.

It seems mystifying at first, the fact that sometimes Pakistanis abroad do anything to conceal their nationality. It should be noted that I am not making a generalisation here as there are some Pakistanis abroad (myself amongst them) who are perfectly happy and proud of being Pakistani, and couldn't care less about what anyone would think. They read Urdu with zeal and are glad to say that they belong to Pakistan.

However, I have also encountered quite a few who seem to think being connected to the land is one of their greatest misfortunes. As we look further into this behaviour, we realise that they do have valid reasons. First after 9/11 and more recently the OBL Drama in A-bot-a-baad, Pakistanis especially in the West are looked down upon. The word 'terrorist' hovers around and a balanced person with a fairly harmless agenda in life is looked upon with scepticism. A Pakistani friend who moved to the United States from Dubai now tells anyone who asks that she is from the UAE, even domestic help she plans to hire on an hourly basis, because personal experience has taught her that saying 'Pakistani' will invite needless suspicion from just about anyone.

In the UAE, I can personally vouch for the fact that anyone who is not a local (Emarati) or a gora, is subject to some kind of prejudice, and Pakistanis too are scrutinized in a circumspect manner.

With the current situation in Pakistan, where nearly every day one wakes up to the horrifying news that there was a bomb blast in such and such place, and with our infamous track-record, not to mention our political leaders, the wariness people sometimes feel around Pakistanis is somewhat justified. But the fact that an entire nationality is shown disrespect, for the misdeeds of a few bad eggs, is very unfortunate. These are tough times to be a Pakistani. You are stopped at the airport and questioned ruthlessly, you are looked down upon in other countries and the word terrorist seems to be on everyone's mind.

One wistfully thinks of how wonderful it would be if being Pakistani was once more considered a privilege rather than an unlucky aberration. This land was acquired with lots of hard work and struggles by honourable men and women. Cynicism, I realize is a staple in our people but the fact is that we need to believe, in ourselves and in our country. We as the youth need to know that Pakistan, with its indomitable spirit may yet rise again, and that it is us who can make a real difference.

http://www.dawn.com/2011/08/20/being-a-pakistani-abroad.html

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Energon,

We are not doing anything to the "non radical" Pakistanis if at all, but trying to bring out their plight of being a Pakistani.
That intent doesn't seem to be coming through mate. Looking at this thread thus far, with the exception of ray's comments it is primarily just a schadenfreude bash.

Blackwater

Do you guys realize how childish this is? Yes, Pakistan is the root of many problems in the world today and hence it is not surprising that Pakistan and Pakistanis are viewed with suspicion and derision. However taking joy in the misery of millions of non radicalized Pakistanis who are caught up in this mess is childish. It is unfortunate that many of you don't realize that the aspirations of non radicalized urban Pakistanis aren't any different from yours.

Really? Dehumanizing all Pakistanis makes you happy? Does saying this put a smile on your face? Surely you must have better things to feel good about than something so tawdry.

Collective punishment is a terrible thing and only acceptable as long as you are not on the receiving end.

To me this thread (which has been made a sticky) reflects very poorly on the forum because by default it indicates that there is no intention to conduct unbiased rational debate of any kind, because all precedence is given to immature populist drivel. :nono:

pakistani , radicalized or non radicalized, both hate India and western world. They even teaches that, Hindu is evil in their text books.

These people deserve this types of treatment, they are responsible for their own problem..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
That intent doesn't seem to be coming through mate. Looking at this thread thus far, with the exception of ray's comments it is primarily just a schadenfreude bash.
In due course it will be mate. I am sure you will be able to post well in this thread with your knowledge.

arkem8

Country flag

:cool2:

Last edited by a moderator:

pankaj nema

Country flag
Ray Sir,

Pakistani soldiers and the people who get trained by ISI "officers" in training camps to blow up themselves and kill civilians are two different things. The former - as long as they follow the ethics and rules of fighting a war - deserve respect as any soldier but the latter deserve nothing but contempt and disgust.
Ezaj You are totally out of touch with reality and the psyche of Pak Army soldiers

Before they get fully trained in war fighting skills they are indoctrinated with the most radical Islamist
teachings

Pak army TEACHES its soldiers in its academies that Christians Jews and Hindus are the Bitter
enemies of Islam and must be killed

Pak army is a Jihadi army that is the plain and simple truth And the people who they are now fighting
are as radical as them ie the Taliban

The only difference being that Taliban dont wear uniform and WANT to Talibanise the whole of Pakistan

Perhaps you are not aware that in Pak Villages ONE Brother joins the army and other joins the Taliban

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Yes, Pakistan is the root of many problems in the world today and hence it is not surprising that Pakistan and Pakistanis are viewed with suspicion and derision. However taking joy in the misery of millions of non radicalized Pakistanis who are caught up in this mess is childish. It is unfortunate that many of you don't realize that the aspirations of non radicalized urban Pakistanis aren't any different from yours.
You just convened official position of successive Central Governments in India.

pankaj nema

Country flag
10 percent of Pakistani citizens might be LIBERALS BUT even the MOST LIBERAL
and Most Educated Pakistani citizen INCLUDING those living in the west are ANTI India

This is why Indians ENJOY the sufferings of Pakistanis whether they are
1. Economic sufferings and growing bankruptcy of pakistan
2. Terror attacks in Pakistan
3. Such humiliation meted out at Airports

pankaj nema

Country flag
ALL Pakistanis whether Rich or poor Liberal or radical have ALWAYS been Anti India

You guys are simply not aware of the MASSIVE and Total support the Pakistani people gave to the
kashmiri terrorists in the Nineties

People used to go around and collect money in the NAME of JIHAD against India

That is why when these rascals are killing their own people ie Pakistani civilans ALL that the
Civilians do is LAMENT the fact that we ourselves have supported these terrorists

The economic hardships of the last few years and the attacks on civilians NOTWITHSTANDING
there is still a huge constituency of pro jihadi CIVILIANS

panduranghari

it pleased me more ,when i pass through and paki is stopped at immigration counter or security desk.

I still remembered a incident at Birmingham airport. I was about to take emirates flight to Delhi via Dubai .They were lot of pakis also coz till dubai, the flight is same. There was a paki woman in burka and security official take her to separate room for checking and Questioning. I did't see her in plane after that. Day later i checked on internet news , she was refused to board the plane coz she refused to take burka off lolll:taunt1::taunt1::taunt1:
The question that bugs me is,' Why does Indian Muslims in Britain find Pakistanis closer at heart than Indian non Muslims?'

Global Defence

New threads

Articles