The Book Recommendation Thread

Berkut

Country flag
Conundrum - by Anuj Dhar is fascinating! go pick up your copy

here2where

39296051.jpg

A mind blowing eye-opener for those not too aware of how a mere thug and a child-raper created a desert cult with his lies and deceit, that's been engaged in continuous warfare with other religions for the last 1400 years. A must read.

JamesTorres

Superb books that are worth a read and available on line from Amazon etc. Happy reading!

This book explains the origins and nature of terrorism in Pakistan and examines the social, political and economic factors that have contributed to the rise of political violence there.

This book examines the rise of religious extremism in Pakistan, particularly since 1947, and analyzes its connections to the Pakistani army's corporate interests and U.S.-Pakistan relations. It includes profiles of leading Pakistani militant groups with details of their origins, development, and capabilities.

The leading journalist on Pakistan lays out America's options with Pakistan and Afghanistan in the post-Bin Laden years.

Ayesha Siddiqa shows how the military has gradually gained control of Pakistan's political, social, and economic resources. T his power has transformed Pakistani society, where the armed forces have become an independent class.

There are more great books to read, but that's enough for now. :)
Thanks for this list of books. I think you all know about the news from Europe, about the Ukraine situation. And all that made me interested in history, history of conflicts, including the Pakistan situation. Besides, I'm a student, and want to write a paper based on all those events, and I think the books you provided will give me some interesting and valuable info

mark91

Country flag
I'm reading mostly related to psychology, spiritual, emotional health and life coaching. I think these topics are not too much covered in our life and despite they are very important for our lives.

skunk works

Country flag
"Ploughshares and Swords- India's Nuclear Program in the Global Cold War" by Jayita Sarkar. It is free on Kindle. Takes a deep dive into the history of India's nuclear, Space and missile programs from 1940s-1980s.
Sheds light on the role of princely states, France and the US, scientists, politicians and the pivotal role of the Tata Group in the nuclear program.
The author has some opinions members might not agree with, but the book is enjoyable as a history read if you can ignore that.
Tries to get into the mind of Bhaba, Sarabhai.

Kumata

Country flag
Has anyone read the book by Sai Deepak?
Nice read... But way too heavy on Oxford english... U need a dictionary along side.. I got lost between colonization and decolonisation a lot.... Think philosophy is not my cuppa...

skunk works

Country flag
Review: Raven Rock: The Story of the U.S. Government's Secret Plan to Save Itself--While the Rest of Us Die by Garrett M. Graff
The definitive book on Continuity of Government (COG), which is a set of plans, protocols and hard sites to be used in the event of nuclear war, or any other situations that threaten the existence of the United States itself.
COG was thought about in the USA at the beginning of the cold War as the Soviet nuclear threat loomed. The concept was adopted from British COG planning during the 'Blitz' bombing of London.
The book starts during the Roosevelt-Truman years and chronologicallly takes you through the thought process and planning.
It is interesting to see the cold and calculated thinking as planners sought to decide who would live and who would die.
Families were not included, so the undersecretary of Defense for example would have to leave behind his wife and kids when he was called to the bunker.

Non-military infrastructure also became subject to COG planning. For example, AT&Ts trunk telephone lines are laid so as to not go through major urban centers that could be nuclear targets.

Very interesting book, can be slow at times. It's really detailed, so you have to be really passionate about nuclear war topics to find it interesting.

1676508322914.png

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
Malazn books by Erikson.

You can easily spend few years reading them and the payoff is pretty good. Good thing is that the series is finished.

Another series would be Stormlight archives by Brandon Sanderson. Pretty nice ones and there are linked books in that world build.

Blademaster

Malazn books by Erikson.

You can easily spend few years reading them and the payoff is pretty good. Good thing is that the series is finished.

Another series would be Stormlight archives by Brandon Sanderson. Pretty nice ones and there are linked books in that world build.
Malazon books are heavy reading. Very hard to follow. Stormlight is good but i lost touch with it. My fav is Wheel of Time. It started off great then in the middle it got very slow and muddled and then the original author died and they had to rope in Brandon Sanderson to finish it. His style of writing didn't really fit in the Wheel of Time. The last book, I felt, that it was all rushed and Brandon was just in a hurry to finish it and get it done over with so he could go back to his books. I kinda felt let down at the end.

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
Malazon books are heavy reading. Very hard to follow. Stormlight is good but i lost touch with it. My fav is Wheel of Time. It started off great then in the middle it got very slow and muddled and then the original author died and they had to rope in Brandon Sanderson to finish it. His style of writing didn't really fit in the Wheel of Time. The last book, I felt, that it was all rushed and Brandon was just in a hurry to finish it and get it done over with so he could go back to his books. I kinda felt let down at the end.
WOT was one of my favs when I was younger.
They screwed up the TV show though - big time.

Malazan are heavy reading but they are fantastic.
You are right on hard to follow but stick with it and by the third book, the books become insanely good.

Blademaster

WOT was one of my favs when I was younger.
They screwed up the TV show though - big time.

Malazan are heavy reading but they are fantastic.
You are right on hard to follow but stick with it and by the third book, the books become insanely good.
I couldn't stand the tv version. It was so woke that I got so mad and disgusted that I stopped watching halfway through episode 2 and haven't returned since. They did the same thing with Willow. I m so fucking sick of the woke movement. Fucking f@ggots. They ruin everything they touch with their stupid gay & lesbian views.

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
I couldn't stand the tv version. It was so woke that I got so mad and disgusted that I stopped watching halfway through episode 2 and haven't returned since. They did the same thing with Willow. I m so fucking sick of the woke movement.
WOT tv show was insanely shitty.
They pretty much shat on the books within 5 minutes of the first episode.
Made it to 3rd episode but then it just got so bad....

neutrondrake

Country flag
I lost interest in Stormlight once sanderson unironically declared Honor + Hatred = War.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles