The Atheism/Agnosticism Thread

Do you think God exists?

• Total voters

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
"Rejection of belief" is also a belief, in the end everyone has to believe in something or the other.
Ya'll Nibbiars rejection of belief is not belief but clear rejection of belief because they are confused. You are not atheist. You are confused. Spoilt with too many choices.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
"Rejection of belief" is also a belief, in the end everyone has to believe in something or the other.
Rejection of belief is not belief, he can be a seeker.

Belief is fine as long as one keeps it to himself.

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag

The point @ezsasa made was how modern day athiesm just replaces one kind of exclusivism for truth with different kind of exclusivism for truth and is rooted in the same two valued logic that is the hallmark of abrahmic cults. They are not seeking for truth but making exclusivist truth claims on flawed binary logic.

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

"seeker" is an Dharmic way of looking at things.

The current lot of vocal atheists, they have defined the world for themselves in binaries, especially the ones who have come from ex-abrahamic background. they presume all religions are like abrahamic religions. they don't believe in "abrahamic belief systems" by extension they don't believe in any religion.

we won't find a modern day atheist who seeks to learn dharmic way of life, they reject it outright, dharmic way allows for seeking knowledge without restricting oneself to divinity. hence athiests are not seekers either.

here i am referring to atheists who have publicly stated positions on Hinduism.

Srinivas_K

Country flag

The current lot of vocal atheists, they have defined the world for themselves in binaries, especially the ones who have come from ex-abrahamic background. they presume all religions are like abrahamic religions. they don't believe in "abrahamic belief systems" by extension they don't believe in any religion.

we won't find a modern day atheist who seeks to learn dharmic way of life, they reject it outright, dharmic way allows for seeking knowledge without restricting oneself to divinity. hence athiests are not seekers either.

Atheists basically do have a bit of reasoning , one of the main reason they reject belief systems.

Regarding Atheists of ex abhrahamic religions. I am not sure how that movement progresses.

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
Does God Exist? Jinasena, in his 9th work, Mahapurana, offers compelling argument and demolishes christianity and islam. (quoting from a thread)

1. Some foolish men declare the creator made the world. The doctrine that the world was created is ill advised and should be rejected.

2. If God created the world, where was he before the creation? If you say he was transcendent then and needed no support, where is he now? How could God have made this world without any raw material?

3. If you say that he made this first, and then the world, you are faced with an endless regression. If you declare that this raw material arose naturally you fall into another fallacy.

4. For the whole universe might thus have been its own creator, and have arisen quite naturally. If God created the world by an act of his own will, without any raw material, then it is just his will and nothing else - and who will believe this silly nonsense?

5. If he is ever perfect and complete, how could the will to create have arisen in him? If, on the other hand, he is not perfect, he could no more create the universe than a potter could. If he is form-less, action-less and all-embracing, how could he have created the world?

6. Such a soul, devoid of all morality, would have no desire to create anything. If he is perfect, he does not strive for the three aims of man, so what advantage would he gain by creating the universe?

7. If you say that he created to no purpose because it was his nature to do so, then God is pointless. If he c
reated in some kind of sport, it was the sport of a foolish child, leading to trouble.

8. If he created because of the Karma of embodied beings [acquired in a previous creation] he is not Almighty but subordinate to something else. If out of love for living beings and need of them he made the world, why did he not take creation wholly blissful free from misfortune?

9. If he were transcendent he would not create, for he would be free: Nor if involved in transmigration, for then he would not be almighty. Thus the doctrine that the world was created by God makes no sense at all.

10. And God commits great sin in slaying the children whom he himself created. If you say that he slays only to destroy evil beings, why did he create such beings in the first place?

11. Good men should combat the believer in divine creation, maddened by an evil doctrine. Know that the world is uncreated, as time itself is, without beginning or end, and is based on the principles, life and rest.

12. Uncreated and indestructible, it endures under the compulsion of its own nature.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
One of the many reason I disapprove of the the notion of absence of God is Justice and morality.
There is no a absolute justice in this world, a powerful person with resources and means can subvert any act of justice. Hence there is is no compulsion to adhere moral values.

The presence of God is a reassuring Mechanism or say a cooing mechanism. The all seeing one who can deliver justice for pain and suffering even if the human justice system fails.

Morality without god is meaningless, there are powerful people who can torment your friends and family, kill them get away with it and proceed to live a life without any guilt.
Only God works as a last resort than.

@ezsasa @Optimistic Nihilist @Indx TechStyle @asaffronladoftherisingsun

Do u guys beleive in a absolute Justice?

Last edited:

mokoman

Country flag
for atheist and agnostics i recommend

just pray 1 time a day , great discount coupons and less time in traffic awaits you !!!

Frenly reminder.

looks fake .

hard to believe anyone can be this stupid :rofl:

IMHO most atheists 'lean bit' towards dharma religions - especially Buddhism.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
looks fake .

hard to believe anyone can be this stupid :rofl:
People like this don't say it and they may not belive in this as well but there words actions will make it seems like this.

Optimistic Nihilist

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
for atheist and agnostics i recommend

just pray 1 time a day , great discount coupons and less time in traffic awaits you !!!
The Flying Spaghetti Monster Argument. Sounds very genius and sensible at first glance, less so after a careful scrutiny.

The Monster is composed of two large meatballs surrounded by a mass of spaghetti topped with two eyeballs. It’s evident that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is supposed to be a finite, physical object which, for some unexplained reason, is not perceptible to our senses.

Great fun. But now what is the point of the parody? What does it show? It’s striking that this parody does nothing to call into question either the legitimacy or necessity of the inference to an intelligent designer of the universe.

It's not as if we can infer nothing about the Designer of the universe on the basis of the specified complexity of the cosmos. Principally, what we can infer is that there exists a personal, and, hence, self-conscious, volitional being of inconceivably great intelligence who designed the universe. If people really believed that to be true, they would be wide-eyed and open-mouthed with astonishment, rather than mocking and derisive.

Moreover, it’s plausible that any ultimate explanation must involve a personal being which is incorporeal. For any being composed of material stuff will exhibit precisely that specified complexity.

The contingency argument, for example, proves the existence of a metaphysically necessary, uncaused, timeless, spaceless, immaterial, personal Creator of the universe. That conclusion is also incompatible with the Sufficient Reason of all things being the Flying Spaghetti Monster, since as a physical object (even if invisible to our senses) he can be neither metaphysically necessary, timeless, spaceless, nor immaterial.

The kalam cosmological argument, for example, gives us grounds for believing in the existence of a beginningless, uncaused, timeless, spaceless, changeless, immaterial, enormously powerful, Personal Creator of the universe. Again, a being with such attributes cannot be anything like the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The ontological argument gives us reason to think that God, as the greatest conceivable being, is metaphysically necessary and maximally excellent, that is to say, omnipotent, omniscient, and all-good. Nothing like the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I think you can see that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is vastly overrated, both as a parody and as a being. As a parody, he fails to show that an inference to an intelligent designer of the universe is either illegitimate or unwarranted. What the parody shows is that we are not justified in attributing to our explanatory postulates arbitrary properties that are not justified by the evidence.

Believers have always known this. That’s why the attributes that are associated with God are qualities like simplicity, perfection, goodness, omnipresence eternity etc.

As a being, the Flying Spaghetti Monster comes up drastically deficient as an explanation of those phenomena which lie at the basis of the arguments for God’s existence. Those arguments require cumulatively a being which is the metaphysically necessary, self-existent, beginningless, uncaused, timeless, spaceless, immaterial, personal, omnipotent, omniscient Creator and Designer of the universe, who is perfectly good, whose nature is the standard of goodness, and whose commands constitute our moral duties.

The real lesson to be learned from the case of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is that it shows how completely out of touch our popular culture is with traditions and religion. One might as well be speaking a foreign language. That people could think that belief in God is anything like the groundless belief in a fantasy monster shows how utterly ignorant they are of the works of philosophers.

No doubt part of the fault lies with equally ignorant religious people who have no answer when called upon to give a reason for the hope within and who therefore give the impression of arbitrary and groundless belief. But it must also be attributed to poor education, intellectual laziness, and a lack of curiosity. We have no excuse for such lame caricatures of theistic belief as belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

gajapati

Country flag
Found in reddit nonduality page -

""
Not going as far back as big bang . But starting at the point where that single cell organism came to existence with combination of inorganic elements . Then whatever happened was just the response to the external condition and natural selection . So we are that genetic memory of billions of years transmitted from generation to generation . Besides that genetic condition we have immediate condition depending upon our upbringing , environment , events of our life . The mutations we inherit is also result of material process . Certain complicated chemical process .

So when i say " me " it is just bunch of condition s.. ... So why that " psychological me " ... with all its desires , will , pride , jealousy , hopes , despair ...

Either i believe " i exist " .. . Or scientific and know that " i " is just psychological creation .. May be a product of evolution .. or just another condition creating new set of conditions and shaping the landscape .
""

Might help people who are scientific / materialist to get rid of ego self which is reason of all misery . As far as i understand Dharmic religion there is this emphasis on end of ego self and feel connected to universe and people .
These days we are producing lots people with Narcissistic personality disorder even among religious people . .

gajapati

Country flag
dharmic religion ( hinduism , budhism , jainism etc ) i have observed if someone follows to the end it put emphasis on end of ego self / me / psychological self ...

The result is you put more emphasis on productive mental works like science , math , philosophy etc .. And less emphasis on self involving thoughts like past , present , future , how you gf treated you etc because there is more selflessness ... So less exposed to mental issues like depression ..

LondonParisTokyo

Country flag
dharmic religion ( hinduism , budhism , jainism etc ) i have observed if someone follows to the end it put emphasis on end of ego self / me / psychological self ...

The result is you put more emphasis on productive mental works like science , math , philosophy etc .. And less emphasis on self involving thoughts like past , present , future , how you gf treated you etc because there is more selflessness ... So less exposed to mental issues like depression ..
We have prescriptions in our religion for depression and other mental issues. All of it is traced back to our natal charts and when there are bad times for us and the remedies are there also. Actually we can do this for all of humanity but we must be careful with it. I was an atheist once, when I was younger. Now there is only dharma, and dharma above all. JSR

MilkTeaAlliance32

Country flag
We have prescriptions in our religion for depression and other mental issues. All of it is traced back to our natal charts and when there are bad times for us and the remedies are there also. Actually we can do this for all of humanity but we must be careful with it. I was an atheist once, when I was younger. Now there is only dharma, and dharma above all. JSR
I think it is very sad what is going on in USA and Europe, especially with the younger generation. They have become so angry and nihilistic without any sense of higher meaning and purpose in their lives, it's all usually drugs and partying and entertainment for them. :(

HeinzGud

Country flag
The basic facts of the earth does not change whether you were old or young

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
geoBR Atheism and Orthodoxy in Modern Russia General Multimedia 1
The3Amigos China auto thread China 332
JaguarWarrior Russian civil aviation thread Europe and Russia 44
JaguarWarrior Russia auto thread Europe and Russia 926