terror delinked from talks with pakistan!

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
.........If that were true Pakistan would have long succeeded.
India is not Pakistan. If an economically and militarily stronger country pursues a policy of supporting armed insurrection in a weaker country, it usually succeeds. Not vice versa. There are many examples in recent history for this. The US supported dozens of armed resistance movements against smaller countries, and even the Taliban against the USSR. It achieved its goal of regime change in most cases. India supported the Tamil insurgency in its early phases, and see what kind of a problem it became for Sri Lanka. Pakistan tried to do the same with India, but India can keep bleeding indefinitely and never wear out, as Pakistan has neither the money, nor the diplomatic clout to bring India to its knees. Of course, if China started doing the same in the NE, we would have a massive probem on our hands.

India on the other hand, is superior to Pak in every measure of strength, and can easily start a civil war there if she so desires. Besides the Punjabis, every other ethnic group is literally up in arms against their government and by doing nothing, we are committing an unpardonable crime against future generations of Indians who will have to deal with a stronger Pak-China tag team than now.

India will exploit any opportunity, of this nature, that may present itself.But that will not be part of any active foreign policy pursuit.
It should be. The US pumped in billions of dollars to fund the mujahideen and bring the USSR to its knees. We could easily spare a couple of hundred million for the Balochis, Pashtuns and others to give Pak a taste of its own medicine. If we can give 1.2 billion dollars to Afghanistan, then why not help disaffected Pakistanis too?

S.A.T.A

That USSR collapsed because and due to the aftermath of the Afghanistan occupation,is more or less a political fiction which the Islamists drummed around since the 90's(a fiction that pak establishment was so caught up with,was foolish enough to try duplicate in Kashmir with disastrous results as a consequence)

The relevant question is what the Indian govt can do in the present circumstance,as against what it perhaps should do.The things suggested in the post above,cannot be a foreign policy objective that our govt can actively pursue,to the extent of neglecting immediate concerns.

As a matter of fact even if those objectives must be pursued its elementary that the enemy govt be lulled into sense of normalcy than be placed in a state of eternal alert :)

Diplomacy is war by other means.......

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
The things suggested in the post above,cannot be a foreign policy objective that our govt can actively pursue,to the extent of neglecting immediate concerns.
Why do you think so and what immediate concerns do you have in mind?

S.A.T.A

Why do you think so and what immediate concerns do you have in mind?
Because i don't think any sovereign govt can make such declaration that it will cease to engage with the other govt because it has every intention to disintegrate it.Sovereign govt's have to be engaged unless we are in a state of war and all ties have officially ceased.

Our immediate concern is and will be,visa-viv Pakistan,to ensure Pakistan ceases all patronage to all militant/terror groups that have decalred hostility towards us and establish a normal neighborly relations.

No matter how many different means we adopt to the stated objective,engaging that state will definitely have to one of them.

Pintu

Joint statement diplomatic paper not legal document: Tharoor- Hindustan Times

Joint statement diplomatic paper not legal document: Tharoor

Indo-Asian News Service
New Delhi, July 23, 2009

First Published: 16:14 IST(23/7/2009)
Last Updated: 16:19 IST(23/7/2009)

The India-Pakistan joint statement issued in Egypt was a "diplomatic paper" not a legal document, Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor said on Thursday, reiterating that what mattered was "not the perception of words on paper" but the conduct of Islamabad in preventing future acts of terror.

"It is a diplomatic paper that is released to the press -- different from legal papers. Ultimately what matters is not the perception of words on paper, it is the conduct of government," Tharoor told reporters outside parliament on the statement released after a meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani in Sharm-el-Sheikh.

He said Manmohan Singh had made his stance on talks in the joint statement "very clear". "We have said that India cannot go for a composite dialogue with Pakistan, until and unless we have we have absolute assurances and we have seen credible action from Pakistan."

The minister added that "it is not the language of the statement alone that writes policy".

"It's all very well for the people to say that somehow India's interest compromised by few words on a piece of paper that is not a legal document. It is a diplomatic paper that is released to the press - different from the legal papers," said Tharoor.

Responding to reports in the Pakistani media that Gilani had handed a dossier containing proof of India's involvement in "subversive activities" in Pakistan to Manmohan Singh in Sharm el-Sheikh, Tharoor said he was unaware about it.

"I have not seen the dossier myself. If there is the dossier, then I am sure that the competent colleagues in my ministry are looking at it and when they have studied it, we will have a suitable response."

On the "preposterous charges" made in the Pakistani media report -- quoting official sources to suggest that India had a hand on the attack on Sri Lankan cricketers and a police academy on the outskirts of Lahore -- Tharoor said: "We don't believe that (putting) responsibility for things that are happening in a dysfunctional state to their neighbours who have conducted themselves very differently is a very healthy practice."

According to the minister, India did not "conduct our relations with neighbour as a zero sum game".

"We want to see a stable, prosperous Pakistan. We have no interest on anyway in destabilising Pakistan. Destabilising neighbours has been somebody else's policy, not ours."

Tharoor's colleague in the external affairs ministry Preneet Kaur also spoke on the issue and defended the reference to Balochistan in the joint statement.

"It was only mentioned that Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani voiced some concern that the PM said that he had no problem in addressing, since we had everything in an open book. And we certainly have not been doing anything (there)," she told reporters.

Pintu

http://ptinews.com/news/190130_Pak-evades-direct-response-to-rep-on-dossier-to-Ind

Pak evades direct response to rep on dossier to Ind

STAFF WRITER 17:11 HRS IST

Rezaul H Laskar

Islamabad, Jul 23 (PTI) Pakistan today did not confirm or deny reports that it handed over a dossier to New Delhi on the alleged Indian involvement in unrest in Balochistan, saying the issue involved intelligence matters which cannot be discussed in public.

Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said the matter had been adequately covered by the Joint Statement issued after the meeting between Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh on the sidelines of the NAM summit in Egypt on July 16.

"All I can say is that whatever was discussed and handed over is contained in the Joint Statement," Basit told a weekly news briefing, responding to a question on whether Pakistan had handed over a dossier on India's alleged involvement in unrest in Balochistan to Singh.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Because i don't think any sovereign govt can make such declaration that it will cease to engage with the other govt because it has every intention to disintegrate it.Sovereign govt's have to be engaged unless we are in a state of war and all ties have officially ceased.
We obviously can't declare out intention to disintegrate any foreign countries, but we can surely refuse to talk and break off all diplomatic relations indefinitely......at least until we have adequate reason to believe that the terror infrastructure has been completely dismantled and that the Pak army has changed its doctrine into a defensive one.

India is the one who is growing at 8% per annum and is poised to be one of the largest economies of the world.......we don't need to talk to them, they need to talk to us before it is too late for them. I don't see why we should give them any rope at all.

No matter how many different means we adopt to the stated objective,engaging that state will definitely have to one of them.
I beg to differ. We should break off all diplomatic relations, close all Pak embassies in India, deny overflights to airlines travelling to and from Pakistan, and provide covert support for armed groups in that country. Enough talking, now it's time for action.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
I wish I could be as optimistic as you KU, but you seriously overestimate our clout in the international world... we are not China, we are not as powerful as the US or China for that matter...

If we break off all diplomatic relations with Pakistan and start supporting insurgencies there, then I'm sure China would be more than happy to oblige on behalf of Pakistan and make life miserable for us... Not to mention Pakistan's other friends who are all around us...

Plus, it doesn't augur well with the war against the Taliban which is equally important... I know we can argue that our war is as important, but its paramount that we deal with the Taliban as well...

And, if the US wants I think he can make life difficult for us as well...

So, its important to tread cautiously... because we are also getting goodies from the US...

S.A.T.A

We obviously can't declare out intention to disintegrate any foreign countries, but we can surely refuse to talk and break off all diplomatic relations indefinitely......at least until we have adequate reason to believe that the terror infrastructure has been completely dismantled and that the Pak army has changed its doctrine into a defensive one.

India is the one who is growing at 8% per annum and is poised to be one of the largest economies of the world.......we don't need to talk to them, they need to talk to us before it is too late for them. I don't see why we should give them any rope at all.

I beg to differ. We should break off all diplomatic relations, close all Pak embassies in India, deny overflights to airlines travelling to and from Pakistan, and provide covert support for armed groups in that country. Enough talking, now it's time for action.
India's problem with Pakistan is mutual hostility,and policies that result from that hostility,this will remain so no matter how much we how economically.

Breaking off diplomatic and other ties will redress any of our grievance.Our economic clout will count for something only if that clout becomes relevant to Pakistan.

Now coming to realpolitik,Indian govt does not have any reason to believe that the PPP govt led by Zardari had any role in the 26/11 incident and if any segment of the establishment was involved in it,it had to be the ISI or the radical factions within the army,over whom even the military establishment has no real tabs,let alone the recently elected civilian govt.

You have to remember that the current PPP led govt also presents us with a historic opportunity.The last two occasions the PPP govt has been in power it has served us well.It was during her first reign from 1988-1990 that the Pakistani govt more or less ceased all assistance to the Khalistani movement,including to such dreaded groups like babbar Khalsa.In fact this among others was cited as one of the reasons why the Pakistani military ousted Benazir Bhutto from power in 1990

Benazir Bhutto played a similar role during her second term from 1993-96,when the insurgency in Kashmir came to virtual standstill,enough to allow the Indian govt to hold assembly elections there in 1995,which saw Farooq Abdullah being elected.This was the time when Indian govt really began to take things under control in Kashmir.Benazir Bhtto was again sacked from office a year later.

The govt of India is alive to this situation.the PPP govt is not popular with the military establishment and vice versa,India sees no merit in completely undermining the Zardari govt beyond a point,the Mumbai outrage notwithstanding.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
If we break off all diplomatic relations with Pakistan and start supporting insurgencies there, then I'm sure China would be more than happy to oblige on behalf of Pakistan and make life miserable for us... Not to mention Pakistan's other friends who are all around us...
EM, I don't think China will support insurgencies in India. Pakistan for them is a tool to keep India down, but they will never get their own hands dirty.

As for the Taliban, if Pak does break into 4 states, the Taliban can have their own separate Pashtunistan beyond Pakistani Punjab, and we need not be too concerned about it. The Pak Punjab and Sindh will remain a buffer between India and the Taliban.

The US will be the only thorn. But we could make some concessions on some other issues as long as they they promise to leave us alone in Balochistan.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
India's problem with Pakistan is mutual hostility,and policies that result from that hostility,this will remain so no matter how much we how economically.
The hostility is entirely one sided from them to us. It has been Pakistan who has launched all the 4 wars against India, and it has been Pak which has trained and funded terrorists to massacre Indian civilians. India is the victim here, and that is the only justifiable moral and legal position. There is no "mutual hostility" here, there is only a perpetrator of crime and an aggrieved party.

Breaking off diplomatic and other ties will redress any of our grievance.Our economic clout will count for something only if that clout becomes relevant to Pakistan.
That is indeed one way of looking at it. However, an economically powerful India with a correspondingly large and modern military and 1000 nukes is the best deterrence against a militaristic and unstable Pakistan.

As long as the Pak generals think they have a shot at capturing Kashmir from India, they will not hesitate to launch wars against India. Only when they know that any such effort is hopeless, will they acquiesce to Indian dominance in the subcontinent, just as Musharraf agreed to do whatever the US wanted after they warned Pak that they would be "bombed back to the Stone Age".

...........and if any segment of the establishment was involved in it,it had to be the ISI or the radical factions within the army,over whom even the military establishment has no real tabs,let alone the recently elected civilian govt.
SATA, you're buying in too much into American propaganda. We know that the Mumbai attacks were co-ordinated by an officer from the Pak Army's Signal Corps, Col. Sadatullah. Inspite of providing his address and professional information to the Paks, they have refused to examine, let alone prosecute this individual. What does that tell you? That the Pak Army was involved in the planning and execution of these dastardly attacks, and now they're trying to save their own skin.

You have to remember that the current PPP led govt also presents us with a historic opportunity.The last two occasions the PPP govt has been in power it has served us well.It was during her first reign from 1988-1990 that the Pakistani govt more or less ceased all assistance to the Khalistani movement,including to such dreaded groups like babbar Khalsa.In fact this among others was cited as one of the reasons why the Pakistani military ousted Benazir Bhutto from power in 1990
And this was the same PPP government under which the Kashmir insurgency was funded and supported from Pak. Whatever reasons BB may have had for ceasing support to the Khalistan movement, it was certainly not altruistic, and must have had some sound planning behind it. (Maybe like moving on to a bigger prize in Kashmir?)

Benazir Bhutto played a similar role during her second term from 1993-96,when the insurgency in Kashmir came to virtual standstill,enough to allow the Indian govt to hold assembly elections there in 1995,which saw Farooq Abdullah being elected.This was the time when Indian govt really began to take things under control in Kashmir.Benazir Bhtto was again sacked from office a year later.

The govt of India is alive to this situation.the PPP govt is not popular with the military establishment and vice versa,India sees no merit in completely undermining the Zardari govt beyond a point,the Mumbai outrage notwithstanding.
So we just twiddle our thumbs and let more Indians be massacred by Pak terrorists? What's the solution? Mumbai has suffered the brunt of these attacks, and it pains me as a Mumbaikar to see repeated attacks on the city killing scores of people while the government does nothing but issue statements every time.

Something has to be done. India is like the victim which suffers repeated assaults from a puny neighbour and yet opens his door everytime to welcome him.

S.A.T.A

@known unknown,

One reason why i do not favor members replying to my post in a piece meal manner is such replies don't quite manage to address the entire context of the original message.This often leads to digression,which we both don't intend to.

I was merely trying to summarize the rationale behind the govt recent moves and not quite dwelling upon long term Machiavellian plans we should adopt,which is beyond the scope of the incumbent govt(or this topic)

P.S:This is merely a humble request,no offense intended. :)

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
None taken. :)

Although, I would like to hear any long-term Machiavellian (or Chanakyian) plans that you might have in mind. :wink:

S.A.T.A

None taken. :)

Although, I would like to hear any long-term Machiavellian (or Chanakyian) plans that you might have in mind. :wink:
Oh i have the most devious of plans that even evil goldfinger would have been proud of.woe that the SATA's and Goldfinger's don't rule this world. :)

kautilya

I don't know where you get this from but the Kashmir insurgency went up during BB's term. I was there in 86-88 when it was a peaceful. The Kashmir insurgency as well as the broader terrorism against India is a pan-Pakistani dream. They're all complicit in it.

When one side desperately wants engagement then said engagement is leverage. In which case it is to be used to gain something in return. What has India gained in return? Alternately if the govt. did not look on it as leverage then why the pause in talks at all. If nothing else it appears the govt. is not quite aware of its own policy. You cannot really negotiate anything useful from that position.

Our immediate concern is and will be,visa-viv Pakistan,to ensure Pakistan ceases all patronage to all militant/terror groups that have decalred hostility towards us and establish a normal neighborly relations.
And you see this happening by talking to them, how? If you were Pakistan why would you stop an obvious pressure point when you receive nothing in return. By ruling out the military option publicly we rule out threat of force. By not using talks as leverage we've lost out on that too. We've also given up the possibility of encouraging things along in Baluchistan. I"m curious what MMS or you think we have left to pressure them with. MMS seem to have been bent on giving away the shop.

Sure, why not. I don't see the problem. My grouse is with giving away the most obvious levers we have against Pakistan. Pakistan wants talks because it wants its people to believe that terrorism can get Pakistan Kashmir. Because the PA needs to justify the drain on the economy. Terrorism cannot hope in this context to get India to vacate the land by itself. It is just expected to bring us to the table where we will negotiate it away.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
Indian has made a mess of the Joint Statement. MMS has clarified after the Joint Statement issued that Pakistan has to stop terrorism. So why the hell you delink terror from talks in that Joint Statement. We are going to have a structured debate on this Joint Statement in Parliament. If I am not wrong MMS will issue a statement in parliament on 29th July.
I thinks after the election victory Congress is overconfident.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
My grouse is with giving away the most obvious levers we have against Pakistan. Pakistan wants talks because it wants its people to believe that terrorism can get Pakistan Kashmir. Because the PA needs to justify the drain on the economy. Terrorism cannot hope in this context to get India to vacate the land by itself. It is just expected to bring us to the table where we will negotiate it away.
While these concerns are extremely valid and understandable, I think you're overlooking a few things:

1. There is nothing India (or anybody for that matter) can do or say to ever change what Pakistanis believe, or want to believe. They are going to keep believing what they want to and however long as they want to, may it be exploiting terrorism to usurp Kashmir, thinking TTP is an Indian militia, convincing everyone of a great Hindu-Zionist conspiracy to eat their babies or that Hindu martians have teleported Gurkhas into Baluchistan to shoot at Muttiah Muralitharan's equally alien shoulder. No amount of leverage building will ever change any of this, and obsessing over this fruitless venture is an absolute waste of precious time and resources for people who have other pressing concerns.

2. Nobody of consequence really cares what Pakistanis think anymore, and consequently their active diplomatic leverage is all but non existent. The only weight they carry at the negotiation table is passive leverage through intractable situations, as in, if you don't negotiate with us then we'll collapse take take you with us. This is a sad and unfortunate reality that has multiple reasons. Either way, India is resuming dialogue and pursuing a workable "solution" on Kashmir because of its own interests.

3. India's interests go far beyond waging propaganda wars with Pakistan (which wasn't the case until a decade ago). If losing pointless leverage with Pakistan means gaining meaningful advantage elsewhere to further diplomatic and economic interests then its entirely worth it.

4. Indian diplomats are well aware of what they can't or cannot "negotiate away." It is far better to discuss a phantom issue (India's involvement in Baluchistan) with no real outcome as opposed to accosting a serious one with palpable gravity (Human rights violations in Kashmir).

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Shiv Shankar Menon signs off on a dull note

Shiv Shankar Menon signs off on a dull note

Shiv Shankar Menon is from Palakkad, Kerala [ Images ]. When the Indo-US Civil Nuclear agreement was finally concluded, the Member of Parliament representing Palakkad in the last Lok Sabha (also a Menon but from the CPI-M [ Images ] -- the party that was the most vociferous in opposing the agreement) called him. "You've done Palakkad proud," he told the foreign secretary who could only smile. If only the CPI-M had heeded its MPs, it might have made Menon's job easier.

Still, Menon managed to steer diplomacy through the political minefield that accompanied the Indo-US civil nuclear deal with a rare skill and deftness. So it is a mystery that he could have allowed himself to be embroiled in a controversy about the drafting abilities of the Indian establishment.

In line with the generic conviction of most Indians that Pakistan waits for India to trip itself up and India obliges each and every time, MPs, including those from the ruling party, were exercised that India had given up too much to Pakistan in the historic joint statement by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh [ Images ] and Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani [ Images ] on the sidelines of the Non Aligned Movement meeting at the Egyptian resort of Sharm El Sheikh earlier this month.

The points exciting people were three phrases:

(1) 'Terrorism is the main threat to both countries; sharing real-time, credible and actionable information on any future terrorist threats';

(2) 'Action on terrorism should not be linked to the composite dialogue process and these should not be bracketed';

(3) 'Pakistan has some information on threats in Balochistan and other areas'.

Decoupling terrorism from the peace process and the insertion of Balochistan were seen as capitulation, surrender, sellout and so on in India while Pakistan, which was pushing for resumption of the composite dialogue, regarded it as a victory.

In this environment, when MPs asked him questions, Menon's reply was: "You could argue about the drafting [of the statement], it could have been better. But you can't fault the intention."

Immediately an MP shouted, "Then why did you draft it like this?" Menon hastily replied: "These things happen, what can we do?"

Perhaps Menon thought it was okay to make this extraordinary statement because, from the Ministry of External Affair's point of view, the joint statement was not wholly its baby nor did it reflect MEA proclivities.

This is true. On the morning of 16 June, when the Foreign Secretary and the National Security Advisor exchanged notes the general sense was that there was going to be no joint statement.

At 9.30 am, Manmohan Singh met his host, Egyptian President Hosni Mobarak. Scheduled for 10.30 am was the meeting with the Pakistani prime minister. The plan was that after the meeting, Dr Singh would hold a press conference to brief reporters. He would then proceed to the concluding session of the NAM conference and fly back home.

Things began going wrong just about then. An accident on the main Sharm el Sheikh road caused a traffic pile-up, forcing the prime minister to take another route to his hotel where Gilani was coming to call on him. Then, the cars reached the wrong gate, causing another delay. Just as the protocol chiefs on both sides were ready to strangle their respective teams, the Indian side called the Pakistanis and told them there would be a ten-minute delay. All this is incidental but it added to the generally fraught environment.

The two prime ministers met and then retired for a one-on-one meeting -- with no note-takers. They were closeted for 50 minutes to an hour. After that, the two foreign secretaries were called in and told to prepare a joint statement -- with elements the MEA had not anticipated -- and they retired to an adjoining room to prepare the draft of the joint statement. This took almost two hours.

It was only after this that the delegations from both sides met. Interestingly, Manmohan Singh noted early on the presence of one individual on the Pakistani delegation: Anusha Rahman from the Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz). She represented the political consensus in Pakistan on the fact that Kashmir was not the only issue defining India-Pakistan relations anymore and that the Pakistani political establishment as a whole considered the Taliban [ Images ] a threat.

At the larger meeting, the two prime ministers indicated nothing of the bombshell that was coming. In fact, Rehman's query about the Panchayati Raj system in India so enthused Dr Singh that he gave her a ten-minute lecture on the subject.

Meanwhile, there was news that the hosts had advanced the concluding session of the NAM meeting. Both prime ministers mulled over the issue and decided their meeting was more important. Junior ministers were asked to stand in at the concluding session. At 5.45 pm, Egypt [ Images ] time, the draft of the statement was finalised -- by the MEA.

It was in this context that Menon made his observations, somewhat distancing himself from ownership of a decision in which neither he nor the NSA establishment had participated.

Menon is set to retire by the end of this month, ending a career that could mark him out as one of India's best foreign secretaries. The fact that he superseded 12 seniors to be appointed to the post in 2006 when his equally capable predecessor Shyam Saran retired has more than paid off. As India's envoy in Pakistan, Sri Lanka [ Images ] and China, and while handling Nepal in New Delhi [ Images ], he chose the JN Dixit approach of 'neighbourhood first'. As a middle-level officer in Vienna [ Images ] and later as the MEA representative in the Department of Atomic Energy, he found no difficulty in getting his mind around complex disarmament and proliferation issues.

And while it is true that simplistic judgements frequently do not reflect the complexities of India-Pakistan relations, Sharm El Sheikh has slightly, and probably unfairly, dulled the end of a glittering career.
Aditi Phadnis in New Delhi

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
India surrendered ground at Egypt: G Parthasarthy

India surrendered ground at Egypt: G Parthasarthy

Updated on Friday, July 24, 2009, 00:46 IST
As PM Manmohan Singh agrees to look at the possibility of resumption of the peace process with Pakistan, many in India look at the move as a climbdown. Till July 17, India’s public stand vis-à-vis Pakistan was firm- no talks till terror is tackled and perpetrators of 26/11 are brought to justice. That changed in Sharm el Sheikh.

G Parthasarthy, India’s former High Commissioner to Pakistan and an authority on foreign affairs, shares his discontentment with Shashank Chouhan of Zeenews.com on the latest round of Indo-Pak engagement.

Shashank: Your reaction to what happened in Egypt…

Parthasarthy : It is surrendering of ground- nothing less than that.

Shashank: Why do you think the government has changed its stand?

Parthasarthy: I think this is a question that only the government can answer best. Though, a reasonable person would find no plausible cause for such a shift in stand.

Shashank: Wasn’t this breaking of ice essential to end our internal problems?

Parthasarthy: When you have problems it is important to keep in touch. In any case you always have to have talks with a neighbour. But what should a dialogue be based on? “Composite Dialogue” has nothing to do with problems. What has happened now is the revival of dialogue…but no guarantee yet to ensure that there won’t be further attacks on the Indian soil.

Shashank: Doesn’t it look like a well thought out move by the government?

Parthasarthy: Move? It is only betrayal and confusion. The government has shattered the hopes and expectations not just of the Mumbai victims’ families but of the whole nation.

Shashank: What do you think are the basic faults of this latest development?

Parthasarthy: The worst repercussion of the Egypt talks would be the diversion of attention from terrorism, which is the biggest challenge before India now. On July 12 we captured two Lashkar-e-Toiba militants, who admitted they were sent on a mission to blow up the Baglihar dam. This revelation was both shocking and scary as this means emergence of a new form of terrorism.

India had made more than one tactical mistake in the Egypt talks. Reference to Baluchistan was uncalled for. Pakistan is now using it to nail India and gain international sympathy and shift focus away from terrorism.

Shashank: What do you think would happen if there is another major attack on India?

Parthasarthy: With such a soft stand on terror by the Indian government, another attack is most likely. There is no solution to this problem unless terrorism becomes the one and only agenda of India’s talks with Pakistan.

Shashank: How do you think ideally the talks would have been?

Parthasarthy: Ideally the talks would have centred on terrorism, on 26/11. Without a proper solution to this looming problem there is no ground, no basis to hold talks with Pakistan.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles