Tennis players, PTF hopeful of help from Sania Mirza

Vikramaditya

Country flag
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Tennis Federation is thinking of utilising the services of Sania Mirza as a coach when she comes to Pakistan after her wedding with Shoaib Malik.

Former Pakistan cricket captain Shoaib Malik is set to marry Indian tennis star Sania Mirza in April.

“We would love to have the services of Sania Mirza as a female tennis coach,” secretary of the PTF, Rashid Khan, told Dawn on Wednesday.

The PTF official added: “Sania will be of great help for Pakistan’s emerging female tennis players as she has the international exposure and experience.”

Rashid added that he was not aware whether the legendary tennis player would stay in Pakistan or not, however, “Sania’s stay in Pakistan alone would be an encouraging sign for female players.”

Answering a question, he said: “According to the International Tennis Federation rules, Sania can only play for Pakistan if she doesn’t make appearance from the Indian side on the international circuit for two consecutive years.”

Meanwhile, Sara Mansoor, Pakistan No.1 tennis player, said that Sania can bring a change in country’s female tennis circuit.

She said: “We only have Aisam-ul-Haq as a better rated international tennis player. However, if Sania starts coaching us it will improve our international ranking.”

Sara, ranked No.3 in the national circuit, pointed out that Sania’s presence alone at the tennis court would make a huge difference and “it will be morale boosting sign for several female players.”

Around 32 female players are currently featuring in the national tennis circuit.

Sara insisted: “Sania has now become a source of inspiration especially for Pakistani girls while her wedding with Shoaib Malik will increase an interest in game.”

The emerging tennis player said: “We need celebrities like Sania in Pakistan as their presence will make a difference for future players who are striving to mark their name in the international sports arena.”

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/the-newspaper/sport/female-players-welcome-the-marriage-ptf-wants-to-hire-sania-as-coach-140

Rage

DFI TEAM
If she wishes to continue playing for this, her country, her fatherland, she will obviously not have the option of coaching the Pakistani team.

That would be a direct conflict against the sporting interests of this nation.

Otherwise, she may take Pakistani citizenship and settle there. We wish her the very best of luck.

She itself don't know how to play and pakistani want her to coach.....good...
To give her her credit where it is due, she does play fairly well. At the all-Asia level, she has put up a stellar show. She does rank among one of the best women tennis players India has ever produced.

Interesting discussion, by the way, goin' on here: http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1367792&TPN=24

johnee

Thanx, Rage for that link and indeed an interesting discussion. So, will(or can) the Govt take back the padmashree if she does decide to play for another country or if she gives up her nationality?

Solid Beast

I think PTF is being very selfish with their conjectures. It would make any Indian start thinking negatively, and I think such news is incredibly unprofessional from a professional athletic organization and they are banking on the recent news of her marriage like some cheap tabloid paper you see in the grocery aisle checkout. Of COURSE tennis would benefit from Sania Mirza's help, but did anyone think to ask her if she is comfortable with not "making appearances from the Indian side on the international circuit for two consecutive years.” ????

Taking positive news of love and friendship building and turning it into something else. She just married the guy, big news as it is, and now predictions are being made of her coaching the Pakistani team to improve rankings ? I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive but it seems very cheap of PTF and plus they undermine their own talent at the same time.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
IF ever she decides to continue playing her decisions will be guided by endorsements and sponsorships.which i think she'll get more as compared in pakistan.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Why are all stuck with sania giving up her nationality, what if shoaib malik gives up his Pakistani nationality and requests the bcci and the ipl governing body to consider him for the selection for any of the ipl teams, I mean think of it, what this guy cant make in 3-4 years playing for Pakistan he can do the same by playing for any of the ipl teams in just one season and with the current moratorium on the Pakistanis this is a very likely thing to happen.

The benefits for shoaib taking Indian nationality remain higher than sania doing otherwise and the way sania comes across with a rather docile shoaib this could very well happen, being an Indian gets you more benefits and respect internationally.

PTF has acted quite immaturely, given when she and her father have categorically stated that she will represent india in all international events, that should have been an end to this needless controversy.

anyways this whole argument is just so lame, man she is getting married and that remains a personal choice, cant get why so much controversy? wish her well and lets all move on!

johnee

C'mmon TR, you know as well as anyone that Sania giving up her nationality or playing(or coaching) for Pakistan are real possibilites and not Shoibh giving up his nationality. Like any other discussion, ppl talk about realistic possibilities, how is that called getting 'stuck'? Are there different standards for different discussions?

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
C'mmon TR, you know as well as anyone that Sania giving up her nationality or playing(or coaching) for Pakistan are real possibilites and not Shoibh giving up his nationality. Like any other discussion, ppl talk about realistic possibilities, how is that called getting 'stuck'? Are there different standards for different discussions?
come on mate, have you had a look into the future, and what if shoaib really feels its worth being an indian. try and get it, the girl does not want to settle down in pakistan, and so a very specific mention that they will be putting up in dubai, which sends a message across to the lads family of things to expect and that the lad is presently putting up in dubai. being stuck because people are trying to prejudge a situation which has still not happened, how can that be done?

Oracle

Yeah! And what next, V.K Saraswat as Pakistan's Chief Nuclear Scientist? Damn. Get a life eh! border patrols!

johnee

come on mate, have you had a look into the future, and what if shoaib really feels its worth being an indian. try and get it, the girl does not want to settle down in pakistan, and so a very specific mention that they will be putting up in dubai, which sends a message across to the lads family of things to expect and that the lad is presently putting up in dubai. being stuck because people are trying to prejudge a situation which has still not happened, how can that be done?
Thakurji, prejudging and speculation based on the facts at hand and visible trends is part of any discussion. Saniaji is the one who is changing her place of residence from India to Dubai, not Shoibh who will continue to stay where he stayed earlier. The simple conclusion is that Sania is moving to the place where her husband lives. If the husband decides to move to his motherland one fine morning, then will Sania follow him or not? Thats the speculation.

Shoibh is getting married, but BCCI or PCB have made no statements. Sania is getting married, PTF have made the statements wishing that Sania help their national players. These facts render themselves to the speculations being done.
What is so 'stuck' about this?

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Thakurji, prejudging and speculation based on the facts at hand and visible trends is part of any discussion. Saniaji is the one who is changing her place of residence from India to Dubai, not Shoibh who will continue to stay where he stayed earlier. The simple conclusion is that Sania is moving to the place where her husband lives. If the husband decides to move to his motherland one fine morning, then will Sania follow him or not? Thats the speculation.

Shoibh is getting married, but BCCI or PCB have made no statements. Sania is getting married, PTF have made the statements wishing that Sania help their national players. These facts render themselves to the speculations being done.
What is so 'stuck' about this?
so what sania or her family say carry no value but yes what ptf says is constituted as a fact though they never even bothered to either consult sania, her family or the guy she is going to marry, wierd are the ways of life, did someone tell you that? now do you see where you got "stuck" or not?

johnee

so what sania or her family say carry no value but yes what ptf says is constituted as a fact though they never even bothered to either consult sania, her family or the guy she is going to marry, wierd are the ways of life, did someone tell you that? now do you see where you got "stuck" or not?
Nope, I dont see where I got stuck. No one expects the celebrities to spill all their future plans, one speculates based on the other sources. If that seems like a 'stuck' thing, may be the person thinking that way is 'stuck'.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Nope, I dont see where I got stuck. No one expects the celebrities to spill all their future plans, one speculates based on the other sources. If that seems like a 'stuck' thing, may be the person thinking that way is 'stuck'.
here is a lady who says she is going to represent india, but you dismiss it as speculation and put it as "No one expects the celebrities to spill all their future plans", so what more do want her to tell you? now do you see how badly you got "stuck"?

johnee

here is a lady who says she is going to represent india, but you dismiss it as speculation and put it as "No one expects the celebrities to spill all their future plans", so what more do want her to tell you? now do you see how badly you got "stuck"?
Lady or Gentleman, a celebrity is not expected to reveal their future plans. The tabloids, media and the public speculate based on the other sources and generally are cynical about the celebrity's version of events unless its an announcement. Their future course of action is always open to guesses. Making these guesses based on some previous similar case or based on this particular celebrity's past is common and norm. This can be noticed in our main media itself. Calling it a 'stuck' behaviour is perhaps naivete at best and ignorance at worst. Maybe it springs out of liking for that particular celebrity but that does not mean everyone else will be bewitched by the celebrity and not 'chatter'!

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Lady or Gentleman, a celebrity is not expected to reveal their future plans. The tabloids, media and the public speculate based on the other sources and generally are cynical about the celebrity's version of events unless its an announcement. Their future course of action is always open to guesses. Making these guesses based on some previous similar case or based on this particular celebrity's past is common and norm. This can be noticed in our main media itself. Calling it a 'stuck' behaviour is perhaps naivete at best and ignorance at worst. Maybe it springs out of liking for that particular celebrity but that does not mean everyone else will be bewitched by the celebrity and not 'chatter'!
i dont have a taste for the lady, i believe she misses out on class big time, and thats nothing to do with the guy she is going to marry who i believe does not even match up to the dame, but thats got to do with the way she carriers herself.

so all that the poor soul says is of no use and gets discarded as a mere speculation, may be GOD (if there is one) needs to come down to do the talking on her bahalf, how weird isnt it, oh that must be because "celebrities" dont dwell up on future plans, so when was the last time i told you that you have a bad habit of generalizing, i guess not so long back, right?

and who told you celebs do not talk about their future plans, is there some science to it or some pundit has predicted it?

see how badly you stuck on not just one issue but on a lot of issues.

johnee

i dont have a taste for the lady, i believe she misses out on class big time, and thats nothing to do with the guy she is going to marry who i believe does not even match up to the dame, but thats got to do with the way she carriers herself.

so all that the poor soul says is of no use and gets discarded as a mere speculation, may be GOD (if there is one) needs to come down to do the talking on her bahalf, how weird isnt it, oh that must be because "celebrities" dont dwell up on future plans, so when was the last time i told you that you have a bad habit of generalizing, i guess not so long back, right?

and who told you celebs do not talk about their future plans, is there some science to it or some pundit has predicted it?

see how badly you stuck on not just one issue but on a lot of issues.
TR, I dont take anything you say seriously, so dont remember you saying anything to me about anything. If you did, well thanx. Let me explain what I said properly, maybe I was not eloquent enough. I said the public and the media do not take the future plans of celebrities(or even their past actions) at face value and tend to speculate. Just as we tend to speculate on other issues involving geopolitics or domestic politics in other threads. I dont understand the takleef against this speculation and the only RATIONAL explanation could be that the person opposed such media/public scrutiny of the celebrity must be a fan of that celebrity. If you say you are not a fan of her and do not like media/public glare of celebrities in general. Thats fine. But when you try to take up a morally highground and brand everyone else as being 'stuck' just because they do not have the same ultra-sensitivity towards the particular celebrity, thats a prob.

Lastly, TRji, its general trend of a losing side to turn the debate from the message to messenger. You are unfairly turning your ire on to me, I am just telling you that media/public speculation of celebs is norm and fine unless the person is a fan of the celeb(or is generally against any media/public scrutiny). For that, you go on to target me?!! That explains who is 'stuck' on what.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Don't lose sleep over this ch%ch guys, there're far better things to discuss.

Solid Beast

Johnee while I personally appreciate your stance and as much as I do not want to cut in between, the conjectures stated on page 1 via the article are being broadcast by a professional governing body, in fact the nation's highest authority on tennis. It's not just the public or media speculating on some meaningless public figure. This is my own criticism, and it reveals to me just exactly why Pakistan, literally a nation brimming with loads of tennis talent but can't even produce a single star (unprofessional PTF acting like some bookie sports mafia instead of keeping silent and doing their job governing Pakistan tennis).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles