Tejas Mk-2 – India’s New SuperFighter Is Now One Of Top 4 Light Combat Aircraft In The World Along With ‘Idol’ Saab Gripen

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Tejas Mk-2 is single-engine aircraft designed by India’s Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). The Tejas jet has been touted as one of four leading light combat aircraft (LCA) in the world today, according to a latest research report.

DECODED: HOW DID US MARINES ADD CHINA’S ‘MOST-ADVANCED FIGHTER JET’ – STEALTH J-20 AIRCRAFT TO ITS ARSENAL?

There is much excitement surrounding the 4.5-generation Tejas Mk-2 aircraft’s specifications and how it fares against its competitors.

The aircraft had recently made headlines when the new Indian Air Force (IAF) chief, Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhari, according to multiple reports, stated that seven squadrons of the Tejas Mk-2 are projected for induction into the service in the coming years. Chaudhari was then discussing the future roadmap of the IAF.

Currently, the Tejas Mk-2 fighter jet is in the Critical Design Review (CDR) phase, which involves multi-disciplinary technical review to ensure that a system can proceed to fabrication, demonstration, and testing to meet desired performance standards while keeping up with the schedule and cost restrictions. This stage is expected to be completed by the end of 2021.

Reports suggest that the Preliminary Design Review (PDR) stage was concluded earlier this year. This is the phase where new technologies are tested, and if they are found to be mature enough, are integrated into the product subsystem.

A mockup of Tejas MK-2. (Twitter)
More than 60% of the work prior to the flight tests has been finished. The progress made so far includes the completion of finalization of cockpit configuration, sensors, antennae, process finalization for drawing release, procurement of raw materials and their availability assessment, detailed design of various subsystems, finalization of SOPs for Mk-2’s first flight.

WITH JF-17 OUT, INDIA’S HAL TEJAS ‘ON VERGE’ OF WINNING MALAYSIAN MILITARY AIRCRAFT TENDER – LOCAL MEDIA

The first prototype of the aircraft will roll out by August 2022. Following this, next on the schedule will be the commencement of the flight tests from 2023 onwards.

Girish S Deodhare, Programme Director (combat aircraft) and Director, ADA, was quoted as saying by The Hindu: “The detailed design is complete. In fact, we are in the critical design review stage and metal cutting should start very shortly. The rollout of the aircraft (Mk2) is planned for next year and the first flight in early 2023. We are well on track to achieve these goals.”

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I had cpared Gripen with Tejas mk2 (old specification of that time). Defense tube had made a video on my stolen article as well. The new specifications of Tejas Mk2 are much better. No boubt it is among top 4 medium weight fighters. It will out gun anything in Chinese arsenal 8ncluding Junk 20which is a 3.5 or at the most 4th generation plane but advertised as 5th generation plane.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
I had cpared Gripen with Tejas mk2 (old specification of that time). Defense tube had made a video on my stolen article as well. The new specifications of Tejas Mk2 are much better. No boubt it is among top 4 medium weight fighters. It will out gun anything in Chinese arsenal 8ncluding Junk 20which is a 3.5 or at the most 4th generation plane but advertised as 5th generation plane.
Stop saying J-20 is 3.5 or 4th gen, J-20 is a 5th generation fighter, I understand that you don't like China but you need to stop underestimating Chinese hardware.

After Tejas MK-2 comes it will be enough to counter J-10, J-11 etc at most but I don't think so that we should be pitting such an aircraft against an aircraft like J-20. To Counter J-20, Ideally we need our own 5th generation aircraft. Which is AMCA.

MonaLazy

Stop saying J-20 is 3.5 or 4th gen, J-20 is a 5th generation fighter
J-20 is a stealth bomber isn't it? Which means it is not designed for close engagements or even to be very nimble. To not have it become a sloth in the sky they had to throw all principles of stealth out the window and add canards.

While Mk2 loses to J-20 in not being designed for stealth from the ground up- it gains by using composites and by its sheer small size. Ultimately the goal is to deliver weapons without being noticed on the radar and Tejas Mk2 stands a good chance there (better weapons package from all over the world) even vs the J-20 which is huge in size despite its shaping and materials & is canarded & has sub par engines to boot.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
J-20 is a stealth bomber isn't it? Which means it is not designed for close engagements or even to be very nimble. To not have it become a sloth in the sky they had to throw all principles of stealth out the window and add canards.

While Mk2 loses to J-20 in not being designed for stealth from the ground up- it gains by using composites and by its sheer small size. Ultimately the goal is to deliver weapons without being noticed on the radar and Tejas Mk2 stands a good chance there (better weapons package from all over the world) even vs the J-20 which is huge in size despite its shaping and materials & is canarded & has sub par engines to boot.
I would say its 4++, Sukhois seem able to get a track at shorter ranges from what IAF said. Only advantage of tejas over it will be cost.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
What have the SU-30 MKIs been able to get a track of? The J-20?
The J-20 will always see first, lock on first and shoot first. The MKIs can only rely on Jamming to close the gap enough to get a lock on. The J-20 will always be used a long range sniper, it's not suitable for air-superiority no matter how much the Chinese scream.

Blademaster

The J-20 will always see first, lock on first and shoot first. The MKIs can only rely on Jamming to close the gap enough to get a lock on. The J-20 will always be used a long range sniper, it's not suitable for air-superiority no matter how much the Chinese scream.
Is the J-20 radar that good? In order to see first lock on first, and shoot first, you have to have a very capable radar with long range, not stealth. Does J-20 have that kind of radar?

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Is the J-20 radar that good? In order to see first lock on first, and shoot first, you have to have a very capable radar with long range, not stealth. Does J-20 have that kind of radar?
The Chinese have had AESA radars in service for awhile now. Even if we argue that the J-20 radar is at best an equal to the BARS PESA on the MKIs, the J-20 has a much lower RCS and up to date sensors. The huge RCS of the MKI makes it vulnerable against a jet that was designed to be stealthy.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Yep. BTW laughing on posts without research only makes you look dumb 😉.
IAF's Claim of tracking J-20 seems very vague and Funny to me and you seem be the one who has not done the research my man. No offense, Let me ask you a question:

Have you ever heard of the concept of a Lunberg lens? Have you ignored the Concept of something called a lunberg lense which the J-20 might have been Carrying that Day to intentionally increase its RCS.

Now what is a Luneberg lenses?(in simplistic sense it is a radar Reflector in a military Sense)
So it is much possible that the J-20 which India claimed to have detected was carrying a Luneberg lenses to make it more visible and hide it's true stealth.

See Luneberg lenses on F-22 and F-35:-

main-qimg-15c81128cec1895a0ea4dbeff00d5afe-lq.jpeg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
main-qimg-3121a17fca3660825a73140e055614a4-lq.jpeg

THESIS THORON

Country flag
IAF's Claim of tracking J-20 seems very vague and Funny to me and you seem be the one who has not done the research my man. No offense, Let me ask you a question:

Have you ever heard of the concept of a Lunberg lens? Have you ignored the Concept of something called a lunberg lense which the J-20 might have been Carrying that Day to intentionally increase its RCS.

Now what is a Luneberg lenses?(in simplistic sense it is a radar Reflector in a military Sense)
So it is much possible that the J-20 which India claimed to have detected was carrying a Luneberg lenses to make it more visible and hide it's true stealth.

See Luneberg lenses on F-22 and F-35:-

View attachment 149442
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 149443
:dude:

Luneburg lens is not used when fighter jet is in frontline

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
How can you be so sure? Maybe that J-20 was conducting an exercise in peace Time or something and had Luneberg lenses. I really would not want to Underestimate J-20's RCS.
Breh.

This is why I asked you to do research, else you look dumb.

"Maybe that J-20 was conducting an exercise in peace Time or something"

Report was from the Galwan clash time, the most intense face off china has had since the 1990's.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Stop saying J-20 is 3.5 or 4th gen, J-20 is a 5th generation fighter, I understand that you don't like China but you need to stop underestimating Chinese hardware.

After Tejas MK-2 comes it will be enough to counter J-10, J-11 etc at most but I don't think so that we should be pitting such an aircraft against an aircraft like J-20. To Counter J-20, Ideally we need our own 5th generation aircraft. Which is AMCA.
I do not like China but what I said about J 20 is 100 Pc correct. Counter me on the facts.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Breh.

This is why I asked you to do research, else you look dumb.

"Maybe that J-20 was conducting an exercise in peace Time or something"

Report was from the Galwan clash time, the most intense face china has had since the 1990's.
😑
your logic is same as, pakis installing ifr probe in flight for refueling :dude:
J-20s would never be flying without Luneberg reflectors especially when near the border. You think that Chinese are such fool that they will just casually fly a jet like J-20 near the border and let India track it and find its true RCS?

J-20 would be flying without Luneberg lenses at-most Very much inside mainland China Because at those Ranges, IAF radars probably won't be able to detect it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles